[comp.sys.mac] PostScript Laser Printer - which one to buy?

pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Paul G. Nevai) (02/19/89)

I am looking for advice:

Is there a better deal for a PostScript Laser Printers
than an Apple variety with a university discount?

I guess, I am looking for something for less than $3500.

Any advice? I would also like to have more than 90 days
of warranty.

Please respond either to the net or by email to my edu
address.

Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu
Department of Mathematics                 TS1171@ohstvma.BITNET
The Ohio State University                 73057,172.Compu$erve
231 West Eighteenth Avenue                1-(614)-292-5310.office
Columbus, OH 43210, U.S.A.                1-(614)-292-4975.department

schabtac@spot.Colorado.EDU (SCHABTACH ADAM) (02/20/89)

In article <1226@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Paul G. Nevai) writes:
>Is there a better deal for a PostScript Laser Printers
>than an Apple variety with a university discount?
>I guess, I am looking for something for less than $3500.
>Any advice? I would also like to have more than 90 days
>of warranty.

We recently purchased an NEC SilentWriter at work; it seems to be great:
	-"Looks like" an Apple Laser to the Macintosh -- PostScript, same
	 fonts, seemingly 100% compatible
	-3 Meg RAM
	-Two paper trays
	-Will print on overhead transparency film
	-AppleTalk, RS-232, RS-422, and parallel (IBM printer style) ports
	-Emulates HP LaserJet and Diablo 630 (not sure about that number)
	-more modular construction than Apples -- easier (i.e. cheaper) to
	 overhaul
	-Built, in typical NEC printer fashion, like a tank -- very solid
	-1 year warranty (aside: why doesn't Apple have decent warranties?)

We've run over 1500 pages through it w/ no trouble.  We got it locally for
$3400.

--Adam