[comp.sys.mac] Chinese word processing

ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (01/28/89)

Does anyone know anything about word processing on the Mac?  Has anyone
used FeiMa and have any comments, good or bad?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Linda Iroff
Humanities Computing
Cornell University
elfj@crnlvax5.bitnet
elfj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) (01/29/89)

In article <8901271611.AA06203@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
>Does anyone know anything about word processing on the Mac?  Has anyone
>used FeiMa and have any comments, good or bad?
>
>Any help will be much appreciated.
>
>Linda Iroff
>Humanities Computing
>Cornell University
>elfj@crnlvax5.bitnet
>elfj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

First of all, FeiMa is not for macintosh, it's for IBM.  I only wish
that they have a Mac version.  It's a great program, the printout is
superb on a regular Epson dot-matrix printer.  It looks even better on
a laster printer.  Input of characters is painless.  It guesses the
WORD, not character that you input, and about 90% of the time, its
guess is right.  One caveat: if you use it to write ancient chinese
(which very uses diffrent WORDING from modern chinese,the so called
Bai2Hua4Wen2 (Plain-Talking-Lanuage)), its guesses are horrible.  But
for most of modern chinese writing, it's excellent.

There are 2 chinese word precessors that I have seen people use at the
Asian Studies Department here at Dartmouth.  The first one is ChineseTalk
(ZhongWen Talk).  Actually, ChineseTalk is not an application, it's a
system all by it self, in which you can switch between the Chinese and
English writing mode.  MacWrite is the only word processor that can
properly run under this sysem.  ChineseTalk has a BeiJing verion and
TaiPei version, ( with simplified and unsimplified character sets,
respectively)  I forgot the company's address.  If you need to know, I
can ask the people in Humanities computing here.

Another program is called MacChinese.  I haven't seen it, but from what
I have heard from a friend it is very UNMACISH, and very unwieldy to
use, such as that you would have to remember the EXACT pinyin of each
character plus you would have to know the exact order of a particular character
in its dictionary character set.  If you input the wrong order number,
you get the wrong characer, you would have to try again and again,
until you get it right.  One advantage of MacChinese is that it has a
POSTSCRIPT font.

There is a DA called "Mishu" (meaning secretary in chinese").  It runs
under the standard Mac Operating System, and works with programs like
MacWrite, MacPaint, and even PageMaker!  It's very nice, except that
it's not as powerful as the other two Chinese word processors.  Its
dictionary is not large enough, and DON'T EVER TRY TO PRINT ON A LASER
WRITER!!!  It would take 50 minutes or so to create the bitmaps of all
the 11 fonts that it use to construct the characters, and probably the
printer is going to flush the job with some kind of "offending command"
complaint.  Mishu has a new version now.  I haven't seen it, but I
would expect it to be better.
"VOX CLAMANTIS IN DESERTO" -- ahh, who else do I speak for!
Xiaoxia  Ye               Internet/Bitnet    xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Dartmouth College                   /UUCP:   Xiaoxia.Ye@dartmouth.edu

news@tank.uchicago.edu (NetNews) (01/29/89)

From: c3ar@daisy.uchicago.edu (Walter C3arlip)

In article <11998@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu writes:
>In article <8901271611.AA06203@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
>ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
>>Does anyone know anything about word processing on the Mac?  Has anyone
>>used FeiMa and have any comments, good or bad?
>>
>>Linda Iroff
>
>First of all, FeiMa is not for macintosh, it's for IBM.  I only wish
>that they have a Mac version.  It's a great program, the printout is
>superb on a regular Epson dot-matrix printer.  It looks even better on
>a laster printer.  Input of characters is painless.  It guesses the
>
>Xiaoxia  Ye               Internet/Bitnet    xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
>Dartmouth College                   /UUCP:   Xiaoxia.Ye@dartmouth.edu

While I have not tried FeiMa, I did write to the authors for
information about a year ago.  I quote from their press
release:
	     Cambridge, MA September 30, 1987...Unisource Software
	Corp. announced today that a hard disk version of FeiMa,
	called FeiMa Hard Disk SE, is now available for the
	Macintosh SE and Macintosh Plus.  FeiMa was the fist Chinese
	word processor on Apple's Macintosh Computer and the fist of
	its kind on any personal computer.
	. . .
	FeiMa supplies 2,450 of the most commonly used
	Chinese characters in a user's dictionary and allows 630
	characters to be created.  In addition, FeiMa Hard Disk SE
	comes with an alternate set of 3,080 characters and a
	utility which converts traditional Chinese characters into
	simplified characters and vice versa.
	. . .
	*FeiMa is also available on a Macintosh 512k.  An
	external floppy drive is required.
	. . .
	To contact Unisource Software Corp. call at (617)
	577-8383 or write Unisource Software Corp., 23 East Street,
	Cambridge, MA 02141

The standard disclaimers apply: I have no connection with
Unisource Corp., and cannot personally attest to the
accuracy of the press release or the quality of the product.
The price listed in the press release was $585.00, which was
more than I could afford (being a starving graduate
student).

--Walter
Walter C3arlip 				c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu
(the "3" is silent)			c3ar%zaphod@UCHIMVS1.bitnet

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) (01/30/89)

In article <1645@tank.uchicago.edu> news@tank.uchicago.edu (NetNews) writes:
>While I have not tried FeiMa, I did write to the authors for
>information about a year ago.  I quote from their press
>release:
>	. . .
>	FeiMa supplies 2,450 of the most commonly used
>	Chinese characters in a user's dictionary and allows 630
>	characters to be created.  In addition, FeiMa Hard Disk SE
>	comes with an alternate set of 3,080 characters and a
>	utility which converts traditional Chinese characters into
>	simplified characters and vice versa.
>	. . .
>	To contact Unisource Software Corp. call at (617)
>	577-8383 or write Unisource Software Corp., 23 East Street,
>	Cambridge, MA 02141
>
>_____________________________________________________________________________
>Walter C3arlip 				c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu
>(the "3" is silent)			c3ar%zaphod@UCHIMVS1.bitnet
>_____________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for correcting me.  I was wrong in saying that Feima does not
exist for Mac.  FeMai is a great product on least on IBM end.  I would
like to see how it is done on a Mac, (even better ?).

However, from Unisource's formal press release, having a 2,450 + 630
chinese characters set is pathetic for a chinese word precessor.
ChineseTalk integrated writing system has around 6,500 characters as
its basic set and even that is not enough at times.

I hope that Unisource does have an upgrate to the aforementioned
product.  If anyone has infomation on FeiMai for the mac, would you
please e-mail it to me (or post it if you like)?  I would really
appreciated it.

Xiaoxia  Ye          INTERNET/BITNET/UUCP: xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Dartmouth College    For more info: finger xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

garth@cs.swarthmore.edu (Garth Snyder) (01/30/89)

[ Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. ]

    xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ye Xiaoxia) replies:

    First of all, FeiMa is not for macintosh, it's for IBM.  I only wish
    that they have a Mac version.

There is indeed a Macintosh version of FeiMa.  In fact, I think it was
originally written for the Mac.  I've used it!

    It's a great program, the printout is superb on a regular Epson
    dot-matrix printer.  It looks even better on a laster printer.  Input
    of characters is painless.  It guesses the WORD, not character that
    you input, and about 90% of the time, its guess is right.

The Mac version I used (in late 1987) was absolute garbage.  It would
only print on an Imagewriter I, no laser printers allowed!  This was
because it didn't seem to use the standard Mac toolbox for _anything_, it
just reimplemented it all.  It did _not_ guess words - you'd type in the
pinyin and tone you wanted and then pick the right character out of a
display.  I posted a complete flame against FeiMa here a long time ago,
but I can't seem to find a copy at the moment.  A complete piece of
crap.  I'd reccomend not buying this software unless you're sure it has
been upgraded to include the features Ye Xiaoxia describes for the PC
version.

--------------------
Garth Snyder            UUCP: {bpa,liberty}!swatsun!garth
Swarthmore College     CSNET: garth@cs.swarthmore.edu
Swarthmore, PA 19081    ALSO: garth@boulder.colorado.edu
--------------------

lai@Apple.COM (Ed Lai) (01/31/89)

In article <11998@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu writes:
>First of all, FeiMa is not for macintosh, it's for IBM.  I only wish

A correction, I think you are talking about TianMa, not FeiMa. I have not seen
FeiMa myself, so I cannot comment on it. Last year's BMUG newsletter has a
review on both FeiMa and ChineseTalk, you can check on it.

>There are 2 chinese word precessors that I have seen people use at the
>Asian Studies Department here at Dartmouth.  The first one is ChineseTalk
>(ZhongWen Talk).  Actually, ChineseTalk is not an application, it's a
>system all by it self, in which you can switch between the Chinese and
>English writing mode.  MacWrite is the only word processor that can
>properly run under this sysem.  ChineseTalk has a BeiJing verion and

MacWrite run to a certain extent under ChineseTalk. However MacWrite was written
before the script manager and it is not script manager compatiable, so there
are glitches here and there. You can use it if you do not do very heavy duty
Chinese word processing and do not want to pay for a new software package. There
are a few script manager compatiable WP package out there although there are
not easily available in the U.S. Again I cannot comment because I have not seen
it.
/* Disclaimer: All statments and opinions expressed are my own */
/* Edmund K. Lai                                               */
/* Apple Computer, MS22-AF                                     */
/* 20525 Mariani Ave,                                          */
/* Cupertino, CA 95014                                         */
/* (408)974-6272                                               */

ben@tasis.utas.oz (Ben Lian) (01/31/89)

In article <12010@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu writes:
>I hope that Unisource does have an upgrate to the aforementioned
>product.  If anyone has infomation on FeiMai for the mac, would you
>please e-mail it to me (or post it if you like)?  I would really
>appreciated it.

And to me too, please!

Ben Lian

Benjamin Y H Lian             ACSnet: ben@tasis.utas.oz
Dept. of EE & CS              ARPA  : ben%tasis.utas.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
University of Tasmania        BITnet: munnari!tasis.utas.oz!ben@
GPO Box 252C                          uunet.uu.net  (I think)
Hobart, Tasmania 7001         UUCP  : {enea,hplabs,mcvax,uunet,ukc}!
A U S T R A L I A                     munnari!tasis.utas.oz!ben

hgw@toyon.math.ucla.edu (Harold Wong) (02/01/89)

In article <11998@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu writes:
>In article <8901271611.AA06203@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
>>Does anyone know anything about word processing on the Mac?  Has anyone
>>used FeiMa and have any comments, good or bad?
>>
>>Any help will be much appreciated.
>>
>>Linda Iroff
>>Humanities Computing
>>Cornell University
>>elfj@crnlvax5.bitnet
>>elfj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
>
>First of all, FeiMa is not for macintosh, it's for IBM.  I only wish

On ther contrary, there is a version for the Macintosh.  I got a demo of
it a LONG time ago.  It wasn't very impressive but then the program was at
it's infancy.  I havn't heard from them since.  Maybe they have dropped
program.  There is another program called brushwriter.  Distributed in
San Francisco, CA.  Sorry, that's all I know about it.

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT

ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (02/18/89)

I want to thank everyone who provided infor on Chinese word processing, and
summarize what I've found.

FeiMa, from Wu Corporation in Avon CN, 203-677-1528, has both a Mac and a
PC version.  The Mac version has been categorized as expensive, slow,
non-Macish, etc.  Wu Corp does now have a "student" version for less $.

ChineseTalk, Apple's interface system, is available commercially from
Ecological Linguistics, Washington, DC, 202-546-5862, for $45.  They also
sell Kanji-Talk and other interface systems.  Reports are that is works
moderately well with MacWrite, but nothing else.

Does anyone know if the new MacWrite II will support the Script Manager?

Linda Iroff
Humanities Computing
Cornell University
elfj@crnlvax5.bitnet
elfj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

lai@Apple.COM (Ed Lai) (02/18/89)

In article <8902172004.AA07740@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
>ChineseTalk, Apple's interface system, is available commercially from
>Ecological Linguistics, Washington, DC, 202-546-5862, for $45.  They also
>sell Kanji-Talk and other interface systems.  Reports are that is works
>moderately well with MacWrite, but nothing else.

If "nonthing else" means no other word processor, the statement is probably
true (except for products that are not easily available in the U.S), but if
nothing refer to any other application, then this is definitely not true, most
non-word-processing application should work reasonably well under ChineseTalk,
at least better than MacWrite would be.

svc@well.UUCP (Software Ventures Corp.) (02/21/89)

In article <8902172004.AA07740@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:

> [Comments about the Chinese Operating System]
>
> Does anyone know if the new MacWrite II will support the Script Manager?

	Considering that it is built on the Quark XPress text processing stuff
then not only will it NOT support the SM, but it will probably CRASH HORRIBLY
if you try to use it.  The programmers of XPress purposely put code into their
text handling routines to die if the SM is used with it (this info comes from
a VERY reliable source, so I take it as fact).  Their reasoning is that the
SM does NOT provide enough typographic control for thir usage (which is true
sio if you want to do foreign language page  layout you have to buy thier
SPECIALIZED international versions.

{Whoops sorry about the tirade against Quark, but the answer is NO!}