[comp.sys.mac] how to generate a postscript file on Mac?

malik@ut-emx.UUCP (Nadeem Malik) (02/18/89)

I am interested in finding out if it is possible to generate a postscript
file on Mac. A few days back someone mentioned using clover-f clover-k key
for doing this operation, but it didn't work for me. I need to create the ps
file so that I can print it on a laserwriter connected on our Unix machine.

Thanks, in advance.

Nadeem Malik.
SNAIL: ENS 312, Electrical and Computer Engin, U.T., Austin, Tx 78712
EMAIL: <ARPA/CS/NSFnet> malik@emx.utexas.edu
       <UUCP> {uunet,harvard}!cs.utexas.edu!emx!malik
VOICE: (512) 471-3903

ollef@duvan.nada.kth.se (Olle Furberg) (02/19/89)

> I am interested in finding out if it is possible to generate a postscript
> file on Mac. A few days back someone mentioned using clover-f clover-k key

 According to APDA's LW-reference you should get a textfile named PostScript
containing the postscript version of the document by holding down the Command
and F keys *immediately* after clicking OK in  the LW-print dialog box.
 You could also intercept the Laser Prep dictionary code with the PS code by
holding down the Command and K keys immediately after clicking OK.
 There should be no troubles with this. I've used it several times.
   /Olle

rcbaem@eutrc3.UUCP (Ernst Mulder) (02/20/89)

In article <10601@ut-emx.UUCP> malik@ut-emx.UUCP (Nadeem Malik) writes:
>A few days back someone mentioned using clover-f clover-k key
>for doing this operation

Who ever invented that you should use command-k or f, option k or f,
command-option-shift-capslock-pressTheScreen-mouseButton-k or f?

 As far as I know just pressing k or f while printing has the same effect. :)

 Ernst.

think@ut-emx.UUCP (s j moon) (02/21/89)

  I copy this procedure from the manual for PostScript.
  The University of Texas Computer Center published
  the manual(4 pages).  Please give thanks to them.

  Follow this procedure step by step.

--Select the "Chooser" item from the apple menu.
--When the Chooser window appears, find the icon labeled
  "LaserWriter" and click on it.
--If you are running MultiFinder, you may see two radio buttons
  in the Chooser window for Background Printing: "On" and "Off".
  If so, click on the "Off" button.
--Click in the close box in the upper left-hand corner of the
  Chooser window. The window will disappear.
--Now, open the document you want to print.
--Once the document is open and its contents are visible on
  your screen, select the "Page Setup" item from the "File" menu.
  In the window that appears, check the settings and correct
  them if necessary. Finally, click on the "OK" button to close
  the window.
--If your document was not originally fomatted for the LaserWriter,
  look it over. If you are using a word processor(like Microsoft
  Word) that requires you to explicitly repaginate, do so now.
  Check the position of the page break and any other formatting
  elements.
--Select the "Print" item from the "File" menu. In the window
  that will appear, make certain the settings are correct.
--If you are using a program other than PageMaker, click on the
  "OK" button to begin producing the PostScript file. Immediately
  afterward, hold down the f key until you see the message
  "Creating PostScript(r) File".
--If you are using PageMaker, click on the "OK" button while
  holding down the option key. In the window that appears, turn
  on the "Print PostScript to disk" option by clicking on its
  check-box. Turn off the "Include Aldus Prep" option by clicking
  on its check-box. Click on the "OK" button. You will see the
  message "Writing PostScript(r) to file...."
--When the window disappears, the POstScript print file has been
  created.

  The PostScript print file will be stored either in the same
  folder as the application from which you were printing, or in
  the System Folder. The print file will be named "PostScriptN",
  where N represents a unique number 0, 1, 2, ....

gae@sphere.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (02/21/89)

In article <10655@ut-emx.UUCP> think@ut-emx.UUCP (s j moon) writes:

>  The PostScript print file will be stored either in the same
>  folder as the application from which you were printing, or in
>  the System Folder. The print file will be named "PostScriptN",
>  where N represents a unique number 0, 1, 2, ....

There is at least one application that puts the postscript file in the folder
of the DOCUMENT.  So you may have to look 3 places to find your file.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics                     TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet