[comp.sys.mac] LaserWriter IISC Questions

mc2818@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (02/20/89)

Questions about the LaserWriter IISC:

   I am considering buying a IISC, and have a few questions that
I hope someone can answer.

1) Since the IISC only has 4 built-in fonts, how readily available
are downloadable fonts esp. made for the laserwriter i.e. not
bitmapped?
2)Are graphics outputs using QuickDraw close to the printers that use
PostScript?  I mean, I'm not that picky, but if there is a huge difference,
even I can notice it.
3)Does having more RAM in your computer speed up the printing process?

				Thanks a lot,  Mike

				mc2818@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (02/21/89)

In article <46700103@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> mc2818@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Questions about the LaserWriter IISC:
>
>   I am considering buying a IISC, and have a few questions that
>I hope someone can answer.
>
>1) Since the IISC only has 4 built-in fonts, how readily available
>are downloadable fonts esp. made for the laserwriter i.e. not
>bitmapped?

The IISC *does* require bitmap fonts.  For best results, you should
have the font 4x the size you're printing.  Don't know about
availability.

>2)Are graphics outputs using QuickDraw close to the printers that use
>PostScript?  I mean, I'm not that picky, but if there is a huge difference,
>even I can notice it.

The text is close if you have the exact font size in the style you're
using (see above).  Scaling to an odd size looks pitiful.  Pasting
graphics from Illustrator to FullWrite, for example, also looks
pitiful.  You will need to limit your graphics to quickdraw and
bitmaps should be 300 dpi (I know at least SuperPaint offers this
feature).

>3)Does having more RAM in your computer speed up the printing process?

The IISC prints very fast - it's QuickDraw.  RAM is more critical for
a PostScript printer (in the printer) for processing and caching font
bitmaps.  Anyway, whether RAM would help in the Mac would depend on
the application doing the printing.  You can't add RAM to the IISC.

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) (02/22/89)

In article <46700103@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> mc2818@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Questions about the LaserWriter IISC:
>
>   I am considering buying a IISC, and have a few questions that
>I hope someone can answer.
>
>1) Since the IISC only has 4 built-in fonts, how readily available
>are downloadable fonts esp. made for the laserwriter i.e. not
>bitmapped?

Actually there are no built-in fonts; the IISC fonts live on the Mac.
Apple only provides Times Roman, Helvetica, Courier, and Symbol, but
at MacWorld I talked to two different big-league font suppliers who
are offering a wide range of fonts suitable for the IISC.  To clarify,
these are bitmap fonts, i.e. the IISC does not use PostScript downloadable
fonts.

>2)Are graphics outputs using QuickDraw close to the printers that use
>PostScript?  I mean, I'm not that picky, but if there is a huge difference,
>even I can notice it.

The only huge difference is with the few graphics programs (such as Cricket
Draw and Adobe Illustrator) that only care about PostScript printing and do
72-dpi bitmap output to all non-PostScript printers.  A not-so-huge differ-
ence is that with the IISC you can only get good-looking text in normal,
horizontal orientation -- except with MacDraw II, which renders rotated
text as a 300-dpi bitmap for the IISC, giving a result that is competitive
with PostScript.

>3)Does having more RAM in your computer speed up the printing process?

It sure does.  2 MB is nice, and more is even nicer.  Also, you really
should have a hard disk to use the IISC, because of the space occupied
by the fonts.

David Casseres