[comp.sys.mac] EtherTalk performance w/ Mac SE or II

xdaa374@ut-emx.UUCP (William T. Douglass) (02/21/89)

We are setting up a multi-user system using FoxBASE+/Mac and
a database residing on a Mac II fileserver.  Everything is fine, except...

We seriously need a performance boost on this system.  Net access over the
PhoneNet LAN is too slow, even for simple transaction processing.  We had
expected a slow response time, but this is beyond our expectations.  So
the question is:
	What kind of performance boost can we expect from using
	ethernet cabling & running EtherTalk between the file server
	& the workstations?  2-fold speed-up.  3-fold (10-fold
	would be nice).

	What is the difference (over LocalTalk) in EtherTalk perfor-
	mance between a Mac II & an SE?  Mac II & another II.

	What are good sources, references, etc. for a guide to setting
	up an ethernet LAN.  References on cabling, distance requirements,
	# of nodes, use of repeaters; the list goes on.

I would apprciate any experiences you have to report.  Also, any good
literature references would be welcome.  Please mail or post, as you see fit.
And thank you for your cooperation.

--
Bill Douglass, TCADA

"I dreamed I was to take a test,
 in a Dairy Queen, on another planet."      L. Anderson

akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker) (02/22/89)

In article <10658@ut-emx.UUCP> xdaa374@ut-emx.UUCP (William T. Douglass) writes:
>We are setting up a multi-user system using FoxBASE+/Mac and
>a database residing on a Mac II fileserver.  Everything is fine, except...
>
>	What is the difference (over LocalTalk) in EtherTalk perfor-
>	mance between a Mac II & an SE?  Mac II & another II.

Some time back, I was involved in a task force that was deciding on
database support policies for our University and we did some tests of
speed.

The FoxBase+ database was on a AppleShare file server running on a Mac II.  We
accessed it on a Mac+ and on a Mac II.  There was a factor of 2 increase
in performance of most operations when they were performed on a Mac II client as
opposed to the Mac+.  It also mattered as to how much free memory was
available on the Mac II.

--
Atul Kacker  |     Internet: akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu