[comp.sys.mac] AppleShare and Accelerators

gtww2z9z@umiami.miami.edu (Jason Gross) (02/20/89)

We have a SE running our AppleShare file server (yeah, so?).  What I'd
like to know is if we throw an accelerator into the SE, will things be
faster as use increases over 10 nodes?  I know I/O won't get any faster
cuz AppleTalk is set at 230Kbps (no, we don't have, and don't plan to
get any flashtalk stuff) so I ain't asking about that aspect.

Thanks fer any help.

Have a nice day.

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
"Not my goddamn    | At the tone, leave your reply and Visa card number at:

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (02/22/89)

Chances are that adding some more CPU muscle won't help things at all.

A server can get bogged down three ways; compute, disk and network.

It obviously can't do stuff faster than the network can move it, and the
fact is, Macs are faster than Appletalk networks (if it was Ethernet then
it might be different).  And it's unlikely with any reasonable hard disk
that the problem is the disk (if the disk is on all the time, then maybe),
in which case a little extra ram for the ram cache would help.  So the
answer is probably that the extra CPU won't help much at all.

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (02/23/89)

In article <138@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>Chances are that adding some more CPU muscle won't help things at all.
>
>A server can get bogged down three ways; compute, disk and network.
>
>It obviously can't do stuff faster than the network can move it, and the
>fact is, Macs are faster than Appletalk networks (if it was Ethernet then
>it might be different).  And it's unlikely with any reasonable hard disk

With EtherNet, an AppleShare server is a dream.  But, the network problem
still applies.  The machine can respond only as fast as it gets requests.
And the 'busy' bar graph on the server's screen seems to correspond roughly
to percentage full of the EtherNet.  When I am backing up the server I can
take up 1/3 of the EtherNet and the bar graph on the Server shows about 33%.
Anybody know exactly how it determines when it is '100% busy'?

>that the problem is the disk (if the disk is on all the time, then maybe),
>in which case a little extra ram for the ram cache would help.  So the

AppleShare sets the RAM cache automatically to the optimum.  Only a little
more RAM will get you a little more RAM cache.

>answer is probably that the extra CPU won't help much at all.
-Steve Bollinger