[comp.sys.mac] Help with FullWrite Professional vs. Nisus

lentz@accuvax.nwu.edu (Rob Lentz) (02/21/89)

I have gotten fed up enough with MS Word and am considering getting either
FullWrite Professional or the new Nisus.  A staff member at the computer
center here has FWP professional so I know what that is like.  So I was
wondering if there is anybody out there who has or has seen Nisus and
would like to provide some evaluation.  Thank you.

					Robert Lentz
			      Internet: lentz@accuvax.nwu.edu
				Bitnet: lentz@nuacc
				  UUCP: {chinet,gargoyle}!nucsrl!accuvax!lentz

Academic Computing and Network Services Student Consultant
Macintosh Public Domain Server Administrator
Northwestern University
"How can you be a man, til you see beyond the life you live?"
			-Boston, "What Does It Take To Be a Man?" _Third Stage_

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (02/23/89)

In article <10330137@accuvax.nwu.edu>, lentz@accuvax.nwu.edu (Rob Lentz) writes:
> I have gotten fed up enough with MS Word and am considering getting either
> FullWrite Professional or the new Nisus.  A staff member at the computer
> center here has FWP professional so I know what that is like.  So I was
> wondering if there is anybody out there who has or has seen Nisus and
> would like to provide some evaluation.  Thank you.

	I'll put my disclaimer first so that you know from where I come...
I am friends with the programmers of both FWP and Nisus and was a beta tester
for both products so either way I am biased.....

	From my first look/touch of FWP (back when it was still Ozone) I was
sold on it as a wonderful product (I still think it is) and used it faithfully
recommended it to people, etc. UNTIL I got my first copy of Nisus!

	My reasoning for choosing Nisus over FWP is that the type of work that
I do is WORD processing, not document publishing and layout (and if I was going
to do this, I probably would use RSG).  FWP is a wonderful piece of work, it
follows the Mac interface beautifully and has a LOT of very nice features for
making your documents look pretty.  Nisus on the other hand has all the tools
for processing those words.  Mutliple Editable clipboards, Find/Replace with
Regular expression (GREP!), Macros (which are wonderful!), etc.  Not to mention
that it also has many of the capabilities of FWP like a built in draw package
(that doesn't need to be a separate entity and that understands color and EPSF)
It is also faster (as it is memory based), and more reliable (no crashes t
date).  BUT it is currently missing ONE (maybe two) major features (which are
due out in the second release which will be free to all registered users) and
they are FOOTNOTES and OUTLINING.

	If you (or nayone) has any specific questions about Nisus I would be
more than glad to answer them.

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
			 |  UUCP  : svc@well.UUCP
	     Silly Quote goes here