[comp.sys.mac] MACH, magneto-optical drives, MAPLE

hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (02/09/89)

I have some questions about two or three things I caught in passing the last
couple of months in this newsgroup, and I was wondering if anyone had any
more information on them.
    1) Someone mentioned that there was a group almost finished porting MACH
       to the Mac II (maybe it will be called MACH II?). Does anyone have
       any hard information on this or know who I can contact as regards
       availability, pricing, etc?
    2)There was mention of a 3.5" magneto optical drive that had only around
      125Mbyte capacity, as opposed to the 600+Mbyte capacity of the Jasmine
      and Pinnacle Systems beasties. The reason it looked interesting was
      because they mentioned that it was in the $1500-$2000 range as opposed
      to 6K plus for the Jasmine and Pinnacle models. Does anyone know
      anything about this, the company name that is producing it or hard
      information about the specs? A phone number will be sufficient to get
      me started.
    3) Because I am a poor-but-honest physics/math student, I would dearly
       love to get Mathematica for my Mac II. However, I am more than a
       little daunted by the $700+ price tag. It is frustrating to see a
       fantastic research tool like that priced out of the reach of all but
       the most wealthy faculty and students (especially when I've blown my
       budget for the next three years by getting a Mac II). Anyway, I am
       trying to evaluate the alternatives to Mathematica. Among the ones I
       have heard mentioned are MATLAB (which I have used on our school's
       PRIME) and MAPLE. Does anyone have information as to the availability
       pricing, etc of these things? Especially, how do they stack up
       against Mathematica?
Anyway, I am just trying to improve myself and my Mac a little at a time, so
I would be eternally (ETERNALLY adj. 1. A period of time stretching from now
until eternity, or a period of time lasting until tomorrow morning at 6:00am
whichever comes first.) grateful to you.

				 David

PS. Does anyone know where I can get old, burned out Mac keyboards? I need
the switches for the keys, as my keyboard has a couple of dead keys, and I
would like to replace them.

ecs140w049@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0000;0000017288;4000;250;215;ecs140w) (02/14/89)

In article <17422@tiger.oxy.edu> hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) writes:
>    3) Because I am a poor-but-honest physics/math student, I would dearly
>       love to get Mathematica for my Mac II. However, I am more than a
>       little daunted by the $700+ price tag.
>
>				 David

Check with you Bookstore to see if they have signed a Mathematica contract. If
the University agrees to bundle a copy of Mathematica with EVERY Mac II sold,
they can buy them at $150 a piece!  At that price, no science/engineering
student should be without a copy!

-----
Greg DeMichillie
Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu
AppleLink: ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (02/15/89)

/* Written  Feb 13, 1989 by ecs140w049@deneb.ucdavis.edu in comp.sys.mac */
> Check with you Bookstore to see if they have signed a Mathematica contract.
> In the University agrees to bundle a copy of Mathematica with EVERY Mac II
> sold, they can buy them at $150 a piece!  At that price, no science /
> engineering student should be without a copy!

Here is some amusing information ---

1.  Wolfram Research, Inc, developers of mathematica, would have
preferred to stike a deal with Apple to bundle mathematica with every
machine.  When it is bundled with every machine, Wolfram charges about
an order of magnitude less for the software.  They have struck
deals with Sun, Next, and other companies.

2.  When the software is discounted for university machines, Wolframs
charges $X for EVERY MACHINE SOLD ON CAMPUS.  And if your university
has already sold 10,000 macintoshes, Wolfram wants $10,000*X dollars
up front, before allowing future software discounts.

3.  Here at the U of Illinois, where Mathematica was developed, there
IS NO discount for the software.  $500 or $700, please.  I'm not
exactly sure whose fault this is, but someone is being very greedy --
either its Wolfram or the administration, I'm not sure.  I am
surprised he could develop the software using university facilities,
without giving the university anything as a token of gratitude.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

ecs140w049@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (02/23/89)

In article <76000357@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written  Feb 13, 1989 by ecs140w049@deneb.ucdavis.edu in comp.sys.mac */
>> Check with you Bookstore to see if they have signed a Mathematica contract.
>> In the University agrees to bundle a copy of Mathematica with EVERY Mac II
>> sold, they can buy them at $150 a piece!  At that price, no science /
>> engineering student should be without a copy!
>
>Here is some amusing information ---
>
>2.  When the software is discounted for university machines, Wolframs
>charges $X for EVERY MACHINE SOLD ON CAMPUS.  And if your university
>has already sold 10,000 macintoshes, Wolfram wants $10,000*X dollars
>up front, before allowing future software discounts.

Here at Davis, we only pay for copies of Mathematica on machines sold
AFTER the contract was signed.  We do not have to buy copies for the
already installed base!  I believe we signed the standard Wolfram
contract (i.e. no special treatment).  Current users have the OPTION of
buying Mathematica.