[comp.sys.mac] LS Pascal <--> Radius Interference causes crash

lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) (02/18/89)

Using LightSpeed pascal (v 2.0), I found that my machine would hang
(wristwatch never go away, menu header never unhighlighted, etc).  This
was confusing, since it works so well on other macII's and se's around.

It must be one of my (many) inits, right?  Right!  Using "init cdev" I played
around turning init's off and on, and came to the conclusion the LSP would
only hang if I had Radius' II Display running.  I tried it as the only one on,
the machine hung.  I then turned everything else on and turned it off.  LSP
ran as expected.  (Thanks to the author of init cdev...).

Anybody got suggestions on how to deal with this (other than avoiding the
two at the same time)?

Opinion of radius software:  It is almost essential to have the large menu
bars since the pixels are small.  It is nice to have tear-off menus.  But the
software has caused problems in more ways than one.  (Heirarchical menus from
apple, and tearoff menus from radius, and menus from OnCue lead to very
interesting results).

I just thought of something else.  The DA []Edit (put an apple in place of [])
that comes with LSP doesn't work very well with the Radius large menus.  The
fonts used in dialogs is too big, but the spacing is left the same, causing
the files, etc to overlap one another.

And then there is the interference between FullWrite's menu handling and
Radius', making the tool FWP diddler essential.

I guess its time to throw out Radius' init.

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (02/19/89)

In article <13573@duke.cs.duke.edu> lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) writes:

>Opinion of radius software:  It is almost essential to have the large menu
>bars since the pixels are small.  It is nice to have tear-off menus.  But the
>software has caused problems in more ways than one.

	The Radius display software does some very strange, and not very
wonderful things in the course of its operation; for example, it insists
on making its bottlenecks the first to be executed, which causes some
very rude interactions with LightspeedC's debugger, and, I suppose, with
Lightspeed Pascal.

	Radius is working on new versions of its display software, in
cooperation with us, which hopefully will work better.

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (02/19/89)

In article <13573@duke.cs.duke.edu> lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) writes:

>Using LightSpeed pascal (v 2.0), I found that my machine would hang
>(wristwatch never go away, menu header never unhighlighted, etc).  This
>was confusing, since it works so well on other macII's and se's around.
[...]
>I guess its time to throw out Radius' init.

@@@@ FLAME ON @@@@

The Radius II Display INIT is one of the worst pieces of software I
have seen. And it is almost impossible to use a Radius monitor without
it (82 dpi)!

My solution was to return "this piece of junk" (my dealer's words, not
mine, referring to the Two Page Display, Video Card, and software)
after more than a month of struggle. I was fortunate enough that my
dealer fully supported my cause and gave me a full refund.

My setup was an Apple RGB monitor as primary monitor (menu bar), and
the TPD as secondary. Among the applications that wouldn't run
correctly using System 6.02, no INITs except Radius's, were Excel 1.5,
Word 3.01, Illustrator 88, Mac Draw II, LSP 2.0, after which I had enough.

Calls to Radius were not only a waste of time, but also money (no
toll-free number). They persistently blamed the applications for the
problems I was experiencing.

@@@@ FLAME OFF @@@@@

Edgar Knapp

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)

svc@well.UUCP (Software Ventures Corp.) (02/21/89)

In article <13573@duke.cs.duke.edu>, lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) writes:

> Using LightSpeed pascal (v 2.0), I found that my machine would hang
> (wristwatch never go away, menu header never unhighlighted, etc).  This
> was confusing, since it works so well on other macII's and se's around.
>
> [How he found the problem with the Radius II Init]
>
> Anybody got suggestions on how to deal with this (other than avoiding the
> two at the same time)?

	This problem is a known bug in LSP 2.0 and it only occurs if you
try to RUN a program which tries to put up a window/dialog.  LSP itself will
run just fine, and you can code/compile, etc. just don't try to run anything.
	What I do is just turn off the Radius INIT (from the Control Panel)
when I am going to be using LSP, reboot and then go coding.  When I am done
with LSP then I turn the INIT back on.  It's a 'hack' but it works.  Hopefully
Symantec/THINK will fix this shortly so I don't have to worry about it.

> I guess its time to throw out Radius' init.
	If you wish...

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (02/21/89)

In article <4813@cs.utexas.edu> knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) writes:

>@@@@ FLAME ON @@@@
>
>The Radius II Display INIT is one of the worst pieces of software I
>have seen. And it is almost impossible to use a Radius monitor without
>it (82 dpi)!

> [excess deleted]

>My setup was an Apple RGB monitor as primary monitor (menu bar), and
>the TPD as secondary. Among the applications that wouldn't run
>correctly using System 6.02, no INITs except Radius's, were Excel 1.5,
>Word 3.01, Illustrator 88, Mac Draw II, LSP 2.0, after which I had enough.

Well, I can't say anything about LSP 2.0, but we've used Excel 1.5,
Word 3.02, Illustrator 88, and MacDraw II without any problems on
our Radius Two-Page display hooked up to a Mac SE, System 6.0.2.

Ken

inews eat this
inews eat this
inews eat this
inews eat this
inews eat this

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (02/21/89)

In article <10788@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Software Ventures Corp.) writes:
>In article <13573@duke.cs.duke.edu>, lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) writes:

	[Recounts problems with Radius INITs]

>	This problem is a known bug in LSP 2.0 and it only occurs if you

	As I described before,  the problem lies in the way that Radius
installs their bottlenecks, NOT in Lightspeed Pascal. We've gone around
with Radius for a while on this, and they are working with us to resolve
the problems in their software. (In fact, their display software is going
through a code review and rewrite, and new versions will be out before too
long, I expect.)

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (02/22/89)

>Well, I can't say anything about LSP 2.0, but we've used Excel 1.5,
>Word 3.02, Illustrator 88, and MacDraw II without any problems on
>our Radius Two-Page display hooked up to a Mac SE, System 6.0.2.
>
>Ken

If you had read my posting carefully, you would have noticed that my
setup was quite different from yours: Mac II, a color RGB monitor as my
PRIMARY monitor, the TPD as SECONDARY monitor. That's what breaks the
TPD so spectacularly.

Is such a setup so exotic that Radius never even bothered to try it
out? If they had they would have also noticed that you have to space
the two monitors at least three feet apart, to keep the TPD from
jittering so much that it hurts your eyes (the apple monitor is
completely unaffected, probably due to the smaller depth).

I am glad you like your TPD.

Edgar

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (02/23/89)

In article <1232@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
>installs their bottlenecks, NOT in Lightspeed Pascal. We've gone around
>with Radius for a while on this, and they are working with us to resolve
>the problems in their software. (In fact, their display software is going
>through a code review and rewrite, and new versions will be out before too
>long, I expect.)

	I might add that the root of the problem lies in MultiFinder's
resetting of various Toolbox traps upon application launch; Radius is required
to work around this (somewhat odd, in my opinion) behavior.