[comp.sys.mac] A zillion files in the System F

thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (02/21/89)

/* Written by jurjen@cwi.nl in uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */
>In article <481@eutrc3.UUCP> rcbaem@eutrc3.UUCP (Ernst Mulder) writes:
>>What I would suggest is a new type of Folder,
>>maybe give it a different name, which is TRANSPARENT to the
>>path it's located in. Graphically a bit like this
>
>We had this discussion a while ago, and the conclusion was that it was
>not a good idea.  There is already a folder.
>We can see it as an operating system flaw that the INIT scanner does not
>search, for example, System Folder:INITs or something.
>It is very user-unfriendly to make two different kinds of folders, that
>are only a difference for the computer, and not for the user.
>This is only puzzling.
>  -- Jurjen N.E. Bos (jurjen@cwi.nl)

  Well, then let's make it a difference to the user, as well.  In the open
(relatively) world of Mac programming, it's silly to say we should view
something as an Operating System flaw and leave it at that.
  I've often thought I'd like a "shrink box", which I could draw on the
desktop, which would actually show up (like, a thick-bordered box), where
I could put files, which would then shrink to tiny icons (perhaps not
all that distinguishable, but then...).  Taking a file out of the
shrink box re-grows it.  Also, you can have as many separate shrink boxes
as you'd like on any given level of the desktop/disk - perhaps even
named.  Then, how about some sort of "magnify" function, which would zoom
in on the shrink box, and let us identify the little icons.  Then,
we could partition INITs and CDEVs and whatnot into their own little
(labelled?) shrink boxes, and I'd feel happy.

- Mark Thompson                       "The University Neither Knows Nor
  locally discontinuous, but           Cares What I Am Saying."
  constantly derivative.
  University of Illinois at U-C

fjo@ttrdf.UUCP (Frank Owen ) (02/23/89)

in some article someone says:

>>We can see it as an operating system flaw that the INIT scanner does not
>>search, for example, System Folder:INITs or something.

I am of the opinion that this IS a flaw, however, this should not stop
some enterprising programmer to write a NEW INIT scanner. This can be
the SINGLE INIT in the System folder, and it's job is to start-up all
the INITS it finds in some predetermined folder. (maybe called "INITS"?)
This way, you could replace all those INITS in the system folder with
one INIT and one folder.

The new INIT scanner could also be extended to provide more functionality
than the standard one. For example, make it a cdev/INIT. The cdev part can
let the user specify INIT load order, or modifier key actions to be
imposed at load time, or other options.

Any takers?

--
Frank Owen (fjo@ttrdf)  312-982-2182
AT&T Bell Laboratories

rcbaem@eutrc3.UUCP (Ernst Mulder) (02/23/89)

In article <46700104@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>  I've often thought I'd like a "shrink box", which I could draw on the
>desktop, which would actually show up (like, a thick-bordered box), where
>I could put files, which would then shrink to tiny icons (perhaps not
>all that distinguishable, but then...).  Taking a file out of the
>shrink box re-grows it.

 I think we would like A.H. to continue on the Servant :) It has an
option a bit like this. Remember the eye. :) I really think the Servant
is a nice, very nice, finder replacement. If it would have existed which
it sorta does, but then again does not. Puzzling isn't it? Especially
the resource editor in it was nice. This by the by..

 Ernst.