[comp.sys.mac] MacPlus Upgrade Rumour

aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) (02/23/89)

I think I read recently somewhere, the business pages of New York
Times perhaps, that the president, CEO or somebody at Apple, Inc.,
surprise, surprise, mentioned the possibility of a MacPlus upgrade.
The motivation for this wholly unlikely, improbable, impossible state-
ment should have been that corporate customers tend to have lots of
MacPluses, and those are now pretty far behind the leading edge.

This statement is supposed to be very recent, less than a few months.

Is it true, or is it just a dream?

Hans Aberg, Mathematics
aberg@math.rutgers.edu

swerling@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ace Swerling) (02/23/89)

In article <Feb.22.22.19.36.1989.18368@math.rutgers.edu> aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) writes:

>I think I read recently somewhere, the business pages of New York
>Times perhaps, that the president, CEO or somebody at Apple, Inc.,
>surprise, surprise, mentioned the possibility of a MacPlus upgrade.
>The motivation for this wholly unlikely, improbable, impossible state-
>ment should have been that corporate customers tend to have lots of
>MacPluses, and those are now pretty far behind the leading edge.
>
>This statement is supposed to be very recent, less than a few months.
>
>Is it true, or is it just a dream?

I saw something to this effect in a MacWeek a few weeks ago.  I, too, don't
know who said it.  But it said that they were thinking about providing an
upgrade path for Mac Plusses because there are tons of them in the business
world and these businesses want to be able to upgrade them.  Apple, I suppose,
is afraid that these customers might not decide to buy new 68030 based machines
and go to IBM instead.  It seems that Apple still has an inferiority complex.
Although, if it gets the job done...

These are only my opinions.

-Ace