[comp.sys.mac] Smart Alarms Discontinued, Replacements?

aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) (02/23/89)

Smart Alarms has been discontinued by Imagine. (And it does
not work with CPU 68030.)

Do you know about a good replacement program?

Hans Aberg, Mathematics
aberg@math.rutgers.edu

swerling@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ace Swerling) (02/23/89)

In article <Feb.22.17.32.51.1989.15154@math.rutgers.edu> aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) writes:

>Smart Alarms has been discontinued by Imagine. (And it does
>not work with CPU 68030.)
>
>Do you know about a good replacement program?

Smart Alarms has been discontinued by Imagine because it's now being distributed
by Jam Software, the original writers.  An upgrade to the program is supposed
to be out pretty soon I think.

-Ace

SIAC@applelink.apple.com (Eric Ulevik) (02/23/89)

In article <Feb.22.17.32.51.1989.15154@math.rutgers.edu>
aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) writes:
> Smart Alarms has been discontinued by Imagine. (And it does
> not work with CPU 68030.)

Smart Alarms is not dead! It is now being distributed by
JAM Technologies
685 Market St, Suite 860
San Francisco 94015
(415) 442-0795.

JAM are the developers of Smart Alarms. So if you contact them, they
should be able to help you.

Eric Ulevik
email: SIAC@applelink.apple.com
-- These writings are mine, not Apple's. That's the way I like it. --

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (02/24/89)

In article <Feb.22.17.32.51.1989.15154@math.rutgers.edu> aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) writes:

>Smart Alarms has been discontinued by Imagine. (And it does
>not work with CPU 68030.)
>
>Do you know about a good replacement program?
>
>Hans Aberg, Mathematics
>aberg@math.rutgers.edu

The best replacement for Smart Alarms that I've seen is Comment 2.0,
which, among many other things (mostly PostIt style noting) has a
pretty good facility for leaving timed messages; it actually outdoes
Smart Alarms in terms of flexibility of setting the times for reminders.
I've been using both of them for a while and have had no problems with
Comment.

By the way, Imagine Software has discontinued *distributing* Smart Alarms.
From what I understand, the product is alive and well and being
distributed by the US branch of JAM Software, which developed Smart
Alarms in Australia.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with either JAM, Imagine, or Deneba
(which makes Comment) other than as a satisfied customer.

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (02/24/89)

In article <Feb.22.17.32.51.1989.15154@math.rutgers.edu> aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) writes:
>Smart Alarms has been discontinued by Imagine. (And it does
>not work with CPU 68030.)
>Do you know about a good replacement program?

Smart Alarms is being carried on by the author, and will eventually
be under another name I suspect. Current version is 2.9.1, and was just
recently shipped, like in the past couple of weeks...so I do not think
that you need to replace Smart Alarms....

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.