[comp.sys.mac] hard copy of posted notes in fullwrite

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (02/21/89)

Is there any way to get a hard copy of all the posted notes associated
with a document (preferably with page and line number references) in
fullwrite?

thanks,
Margot Flowers
Flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU
...!(uunet,rutgers,ucbvax,randvax)!cs.ucla.edu!flowers

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (02/23/89)

In article <20806@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes:
>Is there any way to get a hard copy of all the posted notes associated
>with a document (preferably with page and line number references) in
>fullwrite?

I didn't think so, and checked the manuals last night.  Nope.

                           "In what he called the 'great tradition of warnings
                            in presidential farewells,' Reagan reproached the
                            movies, television and young parents for failing
                            to indoctrinate American youth in 200-proof
                            patriotism, the way they did in his day.  'If we
                            forget what we did,' said the man who still can't
                            remember trading arms for hostages, 'we won't know
                            who we are.'  The section ended with this weird
                            passage: 'And children , if your parents haven't
                            been teaching you what it means to be an American,
                            let 'em know and and nail 'em on it.  That would
                            be a very American thing to do.'"
                                           -- Hendrik Hertzberg
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (02/24/89)

In article <7102@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>I didn't think so, and checked the manuals last night.  Nope.

Well.... you don't expect the manuals to tell you everything, do you?
In the case of fullwrite, the manuals are not very informative, they
just echo the menu structure of the program (like many other manuals).

Some kinds of notes are assembled and printed out together (endnotes,
bibliography), so it seemed reasonable there might be tools to do so
for other kinds of notes.  Since the browse menu allows you to leaf
through all notes of a certain type, that is one place it might be
good to include a reporting function of some sort, or some way that
some has figured out of getting some sort of hard copy out of browse.

Thanks to John R. Gersh, who reported that save as text appends all
notes, one kind at a time, at the end of the document, grouped
according to footnotes, references, sidebars, endnotes, etc.  [This
technique does not use browse, but it works.]  However, the posted
notes lose their labels -- they don't point to what part of the text
they are attached to.  So there are no page and line number
references.  I wonder if anyone knows how to produce them?  I don't
think you can get them by including a citation because citations in
the "save as text" versions end up as just a few CRs and don't give an
actual citation (though I haven't tested citations in posted notes).

I checked the reference manual under save-as and it didn't mention
anything about notes being included in the results of save-as, and it
doesn't mention it under notes or browse.  So I don't know if the
manual includes this fact somewhere else or not not at all.

-- Margot