[comp.sys.mac] saving mem on 1mb systems

AXS101@PSUVM.BITNET (Adrian Sullivan) (02/24/89)

In article <20162@dhw68k.cts.com>, thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) says:

>In article <362@ultb.UUCP> jjw7384@ultb.UUCP (J.J. Wasilko) writes:
>>I think Switcher might still be useful for people with one meg... (such
>>as myself) since MultiFinder seems to waste so much memory running
>>Finder.
> You can achieve the same memory usage (or non-usage, actually) by
>installing an 'ExitToShell' FKEY that will allow you to "Quit" the
>Finder, thus freeing up 160K.
>Ken McLeod

you could also use Multi-launch. it's a finder replacement that when put into
the system folder and double-clicked, or set as the startup application, it
load multifinder and drop the finder (since the multi-lauch app is only 80k (or
 30k, i can't remember) you save some more space. if you need it, i think it's
on macserv@pucc. hope this helps.

                                                            adrian
 Adrian Sullivan, Vice President PAMUG
 axs101@psuvm.bitnet or axs@psuarch.bitnet
 -----------------------------------------        Little Mac BBs
 If you'd like info on the users group,   |       (814) 238-4276
 e-mail me and I'll send some out to you. |       2400/1200 bps
                                          |       8-n-1 24hrs.

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (02/25/89)

While on the subject of the switcher interface, I must say I liked it very
much too.  Whenever I have multiple applications/documents open, I almost
always have the one I am working on fill the entire screen. With switcher
{assuming switcher compatability, of course} I pressed the button & the other
application/document I was working on quickly slides in to fill the screen.
Now... I shrink the window, look for the window of the application/document
I want, make it active then grow it to fit the screen {yawn}. Switcher
was ever so much quicker for the way I work.

About the only time I have two windows showing at a time is when I want
to compair small parts of both.

Is likes my windows BIG.

TeriAnn