[comp.sys.mac] Query about Falcon on a Mac SE/30

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (02/23/89)

When I bought Falcon for my Mac Plus, I found it too sluggish for my tastes,
and put it in my Mac Software Basement.  Now that I'm getting a Mac SE/30,
two questions:

1)  Falcon 2.0 mentions that it runs on a Mac II, but only if you use the
    Apple Video Card and have the colors set to 2.  Has anyone run it on a
    Mac SE/30 with success?  I was wondering if it was tailored to deal with
    something other than a 68000 *and* the standard 9-inch Apple screen.

2)  If it does work... does it scream? (I hope, I hope...)

                           "Well done, Lads.  In
                            record time, you killed
                            ALL of the terrorists.
                            Unfortunately, you've
                            killed all the hostages
                            as well."
                                                     "Awww.  Does that mean
                                                      their boring life
                                                      stories won't be made
                                                      into a mini-series for
                                                      the May sweeps?"
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

jcocon@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C O'Connor III, 2846) (02/23/89)

From article <7093@fluke.COM>, by moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer):
> 2)  If it does work... does it scream? (I hope, I hope...)
It ought to.  I play Falcon on a 68020 Mac SE and it does REAL well.  I also
tried it on a vanilla SE and was sorely disappointed.
           Jim O'Connor

hovan@bgsuvax.UUCP (John Hovan) (02/24/89)

From article <4523@hubcap.UUCP>, by jcocon@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C O'Connor III, 2846):
> From article <7093@fluke.COM>, by moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer):
>> 2)  If it does work... does it scream? (I hope, I hope...)
> It ought to.  I play Falcon on a 68020 Mac SE and it does REAL well.  I also
> tried it on a vanilla SE and was sorely disappointed.
>            Jim O'Connor

I had the opportunity to play falcon for a few moments on an SE/30.  The
program really screamed, but for some reason the screen would blink at a
constant interval.  While the screen would blink the fields that should
be hidden would flash (such as the AB indicator). It seemed to be some
strange phenomenon with the screen refresh.
	I am not sure what version of the game I was playing, but the
blinking was annoying.  Other than that, the game really smoked on an
SE/30.

				John Hovan
				Computer Doctor
				Apple Student Representative
				Bowling Green State University
				Hardware Support
				Applelink ST0356
				hovan@andy.bgsu.edu
				N8JAA

Long live the Macintosh!!
Real life begins when education ends.
You have to go places to be in the right place at the right time.

tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) (02/25/89)

In article <7093@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>When I bought Falcon for my Mac Plus, I found it too sluggish for my tastes,
>and put it in my Mac Software Basement.  Now that I'm getting a Mac SE/30,
>two questions:
>
>1)  Falcon 2.0 mentions that it runs on a Mac II, but only if you use the
>    Apple Video Card and have the colors set to 2.  Has anyone run it on a
>    Mac SE/30 with success?  I was wondering if it was tailored to deal with
>    something other than a 68000 *and* the standard 9-inch Apple screen.
>
>2)  If it does work... does it scream? (I hope, I hope...)

It should - Falcon 2.0 runs on a Mac II / IIx (it's been tested). And yes, on
a 32 bit machine IT SCREEAAAMMMSSSSSSS!!! YYAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Richard G. Brewer

| Richard G. Brewer (TRON)   | Worcester    |       rbrewer@wpi.bitnet |
| WPI Box 149                | Polytechnic  |         tron@wpi.wpi.edu |
| 100 Institute Rd.          | Institute    +--------------------------+
| Worcester, Ma  01609-2280  +--------------+ "Power through better    |
| (508) 792-3231             | VaNdaLs Sack |  design and engineering" |