[comp.sys.mac] Terminal software

poleary@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Petey O'Leary) (01/31/89)

I am currently working on a communications program for the Mac:
vt52/vt100/vt102 emulation, Xmodem/Ymodem/Kermit, etc, etc...
My question to the net is: are there any features that you find indespensible
in a communications program?  Features such as scripting, dialing tables,
macro keys, editing, printing, ...?  Just how "stocked" does a good comm
program have to be?  Do you have your own personal "wish list" of features
that you would like to see?

Please E-Mail to me if you have any suggestions/comments/gripes.

Thanks in advance.

Peter O'Leary
poleary@bonnie.uci.edu

davew@hpdsla.HP.COM (Dave Waller) (02/02/89)

Well... One very indespensible feature that I use quite frequently on RR is
ASCII data capture and download. Also, scripting features are really a plus.

I salute your effort in writing a terminal program; however I question the
necessity of it. There are many (PD, shareware, and commercial) programs
available -- if you intend to sell it, you're gonna have some stiff competition.

Dave Waller
Workstation Group
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Pacific Technology Park
Sunnyvale, CA
(408) 746-5324
[ucbvax!]hplabs!hpdstma!dave

vogelei@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd Vogelei) (02/12/89)

In article <1370018@hpdsla.HP.COM> davew@hpdsla.HP.COM (Dave Waller) writes:
>Well... One very indespensible feature that I use quite frequently on RR is
>ASCII data capture and download. Also, scripting features are really a plus.
>
>I salute your effort in writing a terminal program; however I question the
>necessity of it. There are many (PD, shareware, and commercial) programs
>available -- if you intend to sell it, you're gonna have some stiff competition.
>
>Dave Waller
>Workstation Group
>Hewlett-Packard Co.
>Pacific Technology Park
>Sunnyvale, CA
>(408) 746-5324
>[ucbvax!]hplabs!hpdstma!dave

Yeah, but I can't seem to find one that does what I need.  I need
one with a host mode so I can call my mac from someone else's PC
and get ascii files all by myself.  Right now (I have macterminal)
I need to coerce someone into doing the receiving while I do the sending,
or vice versa.  Simple file transfers should be possible from
one end only. If I am ranting for no good reason (ie you know of such
a program) then by all means tell me where to get one and I will
apologize and shut up and NEVER BOTHER YOU AGAIN OK?

Todd Vogelei
vogelei@nmtsun

jcocon@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C O'Connor III, 2846) (02/25/89)

From article <1865@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, by vogelei@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd Vogelei):
> Yeah, but I can't seem to find one that does what I need.  I need
> one with a host mode so I can call my mac from someone else's PC
> and get ascii files all by myself.  Right now (I have macterminal)
> I need to coerce someone into doing the receiving while I do the sending,
> or vice versa.  Simple file transfers should be possible from
> one end only. If I am ranting for no good reason (ie you know of such
> a program) then by all means tell me where to get one and I will
> apologize and shut up and NEVER BOTHER YOU AGAIN OK?

Look into RR 10.3.  It has a host mode.  I haven't tried to use it (never needed to), but I'd sure try it before going into the guts of the Mac.
   Jim O'Connor