[comp.sys.mac] LW II Memory usable in Mac II?

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (02/20/89)

We've got some 256K SIMMs that were taken out of our LaserWriter II
when its memory was upgraded.  Can these SIMMs be used in a Mac II
the same way that other 256K SIMMs can?  If not, are they good for
anything at all?

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

john@trigraph.UUCP (John Chew) (02/25/89)

In article <7433@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
>We've got some 256K SIMMs that were taken out of our LaserWriter II
>when its memory was upgraded.  Can these SIMMs be used in a Mac II
>the same way that other 256K SIMMs can?  If not, are they good for
>anything at all?

I tried putting some extra Mac II SIMMs into an LW II NTX and found
to my chagrin that they wouldn't fit.  I presume the only thing that
your spare LW SIMMs are good for is for putting into other LWs.  Perhaps
there is some good technical reason for this, and for LW SIMMs being
3-6% cheaper than Mac SIMMs?

John

--
john j. chew, iii   		  phone: +1 416 425 3818     AppleLink: CDA0329
trigraph, inc., toronto, canada   {uunet!utai!utcsri,utgpu,utzoo}!trigraph!john

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (02/26/89)

In article <440@trigraph.UUCP> poslfit@gpu.utcs.UToronto.CA (John Chew) writes:
>In article <7433@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
.>We've got some 256K SIMMs that were taken out of our LaserWriter II
.>when its memory was upgraded.  Can these SIMMs be used in a Mac II
.>the same way that other 256K SIMMs can?  If not, are they good for
.>anything at all?

>I tried putting some extra Mac II SIMMs into an LW II NTX and found
>to my chagrin that they wouldn't fit.  I presume the only thing that
>your spare LW SIMMs are good for is for putting into other LWs.  Perhaps
>there is some good technical reason for this, and for LW SIMMs being
>3-6% cheaper than Mac SIMMs?

The LW SIMMs have a separate bit-enable line for each bit of the byte, to
speed up OR-to-Memory functions.  Maybe they are cheaper because the demand
is relatively low :-), since they can't be used other places.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)