[comp.sys.mac] VGA, EGA, CGA: what is the difference?

deng@shire (Mingqi Deng) (02/22/89)

Can any netter tell me what differecnce VGA, EGA and CGA make and what
'campatible to VGA and EGA' implies?

Thanks in advance.

Mingqi
  deng@shire.cs.psu.edu
  deng@psuvaxs.uucp
  deng@psuvaxs.bitnet

marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) (02/24/89)

In article <4306@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> deng@shire (Mingqi Deng) writes:
>Can any netter tell me what differecnce VGA, EGA and CGA make and what
>'campatible to VGA and EGA' implies?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Mingqi

CGA, EGA and VGA all stand for IBM's video interface standards, and each
corresponds to an adapter card that IBM provided with various systems.  The
main difference between them is in resolution of the image and the number of
colors available.

CGA (Color Graphics Adapter) was first available with early PC systems,
and provides 16 colors and 640 lines X 200 lines of resolution.  Most
graphics- and color-oriented software written until recent years was
written for this standard.  Its character rendition is generally considered to
be poor for text-intensive applications.

EGA (Enhanced Graphics Adapter) has gained popularity more recently, due to
its superior character rendition in either 25- or 43-line modes, and greater
graphics resolution (up to 640 X 350).  EGA can also display 16 simultaneous
colors, but these 16 are drawn from a palette of 64.  EGA requires a monitor
capable of handling the higher resolution is required for an EGA adapter card.
EGA cards are generally fully CGA-compatible.  Most business software and other
recent software (including MicroSoft Windows) requires EGA.

VGA is the latest and greatest.  It was introduced by IBM with its PS/2 line.
It supports up to 640 X 480 resolution, and 16 colors frmo a palette of
256,000 (!) colors.  Actually, one VGA mode supports lower resolution
(320 X 200) with 256 simultaneous colors.  The popular MultiSync or
MultiScanning monitors you may have seen around are able to handle
higher-than-EGA resolutions, and in some cases, VGA.  Because of the higher
clock rates and bandwidth required for VGA, VGA-compatible monitors use
analog display technology instead of the TTL (digital) technology used before.
The MultiSync monitors have two input connectors and can handle the two
different output modes, depending on the adapter card to which they're
connected.

It sounds like you're shopping either for a card or a monitor, so I suggest
you take peek at BYTE February and March '88.

-Marc

= Marc Johnson			    BITNET:   rna!marc@rockvax.bitnet         =
= Rockefeller Univ. Neurobiology    UUCP:     ...cmcl2!rna!marc               =
= New York City                     INTERNET: marc%rna@rocky2.rockefeller.edu =
=                                             (129.85.2.1)                    =
=                                                                             =
= "Gimme the beat boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock & roll =
=                           ...and drift away"                                =

avenger@runx.ips.oz (Troy Rollo ) (02/26/89)

> Can any netter tell me what differecnce VGA, EGA and CGA make and what
> 'campatible to VGA and EGA' implies?

	CGA = Colour graphics adapter.
	Likje a monochrome display adapter with 160x100 16 colour,
320x200 4 colour and 640x200 monochrome graphics. Colour registers
exist on CGA and EGA with 6 bits for each colour which define the physical
colour displayed for a given colour number.

 	EGA = Enhanced graphics adapter
	Can emulate a CGA to an extent - some clone boards emulate CGA
properly - as well as a 640x350 monochrome, 640x350 16 colour. Text is
much easier to read on EGA than CGA

	VGA = Video Graphics Adapter
	Can emulate EGA and CGA - most can do so fully. Some also emulate
MDA and Hercules. Ideally you should try to get one which has full register
level downward compatibility with CGA and EGA. Text modes are enhances by adding
an extra 50 scan lines (350->400), and there are 3 new graphics modes -
640x480 2 colour, 640x480 16 colour and 320x200 256colour. There are 64
... oops 256 colour registers each with 24 bits, although only 18 bits are
used, with 256000 possible colours and shades. Most modes can take advantage
of this. Some cards have additinal modes including:
    132x44 text, 132x25 and 132x28 all with 4 colours
    1056x352, 1056x350, 1056x364 all 16 colours
    640x40 800x600 256 colours
    024x768 16 colours

Internet: avenger@runx.ips.oz.au              ________________________
UUCP: uunet!runx.ips.oz.au!avenger           /\                       \
Watch out for gobbledocks -		       |   Core Publications   |
They'll steal all your silicon Chippies	       | Electronic Publishing |