[comp.sys.mac] WANTED HARD DRIVE ADVICE

todd@unc.cs.unc.edu (Lori Todd) (02/26/89)

I have a Macintosh SE with an internal 20 meg drive.

Of course its been full for quite some time and now I'm
ready to get a 40 meg external drive.  Are there really
differences  I should worry about?  I want compact if possible.

I've looked briefly at Macbottom, Jasmine or Everex Zero footprint.

Any advice would be most gratefully appreciated.

Lori Todd

   - -- ---- ------- ------------ -------------------- ---------------------
Lori Todd   UUCP:decvax!mcnc!unc!todd    ARPA:todd@cs.unc.edu

steveg@tove.umd.edu (Steve Green) (02/27/89)

In article <6983@thorin.cs.unc.edu> todd@unc.cs.unc.edu (Lori Todd) writes:
>I have a Macintosh SE with an internal 20 meg drive.
>
>Of course its been full for quite some time and now I'm
>ready to get a 40 meg external drive.  Are there really
>differences  I should worry about?  I want compact if possible.
>
>I've looked briefly at Macbottom, Jasmine or Everex Zero footprint.
>
>Any advice would be most gratefully appreciated.

  The real question is what mechanism are these companies using.  The best
  mech that I have ever used in the CDC wren series.  You will probably not
  be able to find any CDC's smaller than a 90 these days so the next best mech
  in my opinion, is the rodime. They make a 45 meg mech that is/was used by
  PCPC, RODIME, and Jasmine.  The drive companies often change mechs so when
  the time comes, make sure you know whats under the hood.
  Also, I have seen many a seagate 40 go bad or even come bad from the company.
  Its been a while, but as I remember, PCPC has a 2 year warrenty and so does
  Jasmine.  		-Have fun!!! :-}