[comp.sys.mac] DiskFit 1.5 upgrade information

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (02/24/89)

Greetings,

I've been receiving a LOT of E-Mail about DiskFit upgrade inquiries and I hope
that this posting will help out.

An upgrade notice was mailed to all REGISTERED onwers just before the end of
1989.  About one (1) before the official announcement of 01/03/89.  What
follows is an abbreviated version:

Version 1.5 of DiskFit or Network DiskFit is available FREE to registered
users who bought older versions after December 15th, 1988, and costs $20 per
upgrade to those who purchased product on or before December 15th.  Upgrades
can be ordered through the SuperMac Software Upgrade Program detailed below.

DataFrame Utilities owners can download a "DataFrame-specific" ("df") version
from the SuperMac BBS (408-773-4500), from SuperMac's support areas on GEnie
(SuperMac RT) or CONNECT (aka MacNET, SuperMac section), MACPRO's DL 7 on
CompuServe, comp.binaries.mac (once Werner and Roger connect), or for those
with FTP access you can get it from RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU.  An upgrade kit can
be ordered for $20 through the SuperMac Software Upgrade program detailed
below.  This "kit" consists of a new DF Utilties disk and manual/release notes.

Registered users of DiskFit or Network DiskFit should have received (or call
408-245-2202 and request) an upgrade alert letter and order form.  You can also
order an upgrade by sending your request; payment (no cash - use check, money
order, or Visa/MC and if a CA resident add 7% sales tax); Master diskette; and
copy of dated receipt (if you qualify for a free upgrade), to:

SuperMac Software Upgrade Program
P.O. Box 61015
Sunnyvale, CA  94088-1015

Those who purchased product but have not yet registered...PLEASE send in your
registration card along with your order.  IF you are UNSURE about your status
as a registered user, don't hesitate to write.

Standard shipping and handling charges are included in the prices.  Allow 3-4
weeks for delivery.  For shipping UPS Blue (two-day) please include an
additional $5 per product or upgrade.  International orders may take longer.
International users should contact their local dealer or rep. for faster
delivery.

OTHER UPGRADES AVAILABLE:

SuperSpool 5.0, $20 upgrade if purchased before 01/15/88.

SuperLaserSpool 2.0, $20 upgrade if purchased before 01/15/88.

Multi-User SLS 2.0, $60 upgrade if purchased before 01/15/88.

Sentinel 2.0, $20 upgrade if purchased before 01/15/88.

PixelPaint 2.0, $125 if purchased before 12/15/88.  SPECIAL upgrade offer of
$75 if upgrade is postmarked by 02/28/89.  Upgrade noticed was mailed towards
the end of January '89.  NOTE - the special offer of $75 is NOT applicable to
owners of the "Spectrum-specific" version of PixelPaint 1.x.  For expedited
2 day shipping (US only) add $10.00.

Any questions?  Call (408) 245-2202 for more information.  NO telephone orders
will be accepted.

Forgive me for verboseness (sp?) and if this message offends anyone.  This is
the only way to get the word out.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

myers@vms.macc.wisc.edu (jeff myers) (02/26/89)

In article <14997@cup.portal.com>, Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) writes...

>DataFrame Utilities owners can download a "DataFrame-specific" ("df") version
>from the SuperMac BBS (408-773-4500), from SuperMac's support areas on GEnie
>(SuperMac RT) or CONNECT (aka MacNET, SuperMac section), MACPRO's DL 7 on
>CompuServe, comp.binaries.mac (once Werner and Roger connect), or for those
>with FTP access you can get it from RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU.  An upgrade kit can
>be ordered for $20 through the SuperMac Software Upgrade program detailed
>below.  This "kit" consists of a new DF Utilties disk and manual/release notes.

Thanks for your posting, Fabian.  It would be wonderful if you could
see that the archives at sumex-aim.stanford.edu get a copy of the df
specific version as a Binhex of a Stuffit.

The problem is that RASCAL and SIMTEL20 both store their archived Mac
files as binaries, and many VMS users have access only to an old,
broken version of XMODEM.  You may also wish to distribute it via
comp.binaries.mac (or did I miss it while on vacation?).

Jeff "Death to VMS" Myers, myers@vms.macc.wisc.edu

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (02/27/89)

In article <1238@dogie.edu>, myers@vms.macc.wisc.edu (jeff myers) writes:
> In <14997@cup.portal.com>, Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) writes
>
> >DataFrame owners can download a "DataFrame-specific" ("df") version from ...
> > comp.binaries.mac (once Werner and Roger connect), or for those
> >with FTP access you can get it from RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU.
>
> Thanks for your posting, Fabian.  It would be wonderful if you could
> see that the archives at sumex-aim.stanford.edu get a copy of the df
> specific version as a Binhex of a Stuffit.
>
> The problem is that RASCAL and SIMTEL20 both store their archived Mac
> files as binaries, and many VMS users have access only to an old,
> broken version of XMODEM.  You may also wish to distribute it via
> comp.binaries.mac (or did I miss it while on vacation?).

	RASCAL also offers a more up-to-date version of xmodem,
	so why not get it and fix your problem of xmodem?

	I had offered the DF-software to both SUMEX and our comp.binaries
	moderator but, unfortunately, neither one responded (and I know
	that they DO receive my mail).  At the time, I had the hqx-files
	available online and waiting for their response.

	BTW, as soon as a way can be figured out to keep Bitnet supplied
	with the files in binary format, SUMEX will change also;  so you
	may as well put some effort into getting kermit and xmodem
	up-to-date on your machines.  I really cannot see why the sites
	that volunteer to make archives available (and a lot of work that
	is) should also waste twice the disk-space to keep files available
	in hqx rather than bin-format.  On RASCAL, I do keep virus-related
	files in both formats (i.e. I use tripple the space neccessary
	for just binary files), but sometimes later this year I anticipate
	discontinueing that practice also.

	I simpathize with people who have trouble downloading binary
	format files (and I hear lots of that) but I don't understand
	why they don't put more effort into getting decent communication
	software installed and distributed - give me a break and get the
	communications-guru on your machine to obtain and install the
	latest communications software that will make it possible for
	you to up/download binary files; after all, it will also speed up
	the process and thus benefit your site.  Some people tell me
	that only when files are available in binary-ONLY will some sites
	get motivated to invest the effort to get their own software
	problems fixed, and while that is not the case everywhere, I sure
	know of a few such sites that need their arms twisted.

--
      ----------->   PREFERED RETURN-ADDRESS FOLLOWS   <--------------

  (ARPA)    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)
  (UUCP)    ..!utastro!werner   or  ..!uunet!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner