[comp.sys.mac] Help on FullWrite and Nisus

ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (02/21/89)

I've used both Nisus and FullWrite extensively, and have recently
 switched from the latter to the former.  Here's a brief comparison:

FullWrite has more features, especially in the desktop publishing
area, including hyphenation, kerning, styles, outlining, chapter
organization, footnotes, endnotes, bibliographic references, and
sidebars.  It has an elegant interface, but is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW.

Nisus is not as feature rich.  It does do multiple columns, index
and table of contents generation, glossaries and so on.  It has a
built in graphics mode, which is easier to use but not as powerful
as FullWrite's.  Nisus really shines with GREP, Global Regular
Expression Parser, which allows complex pattern matching in search
and replace.  My Unix-experienced friend tells me Nisus' GREP is a
superset of Unix's.  Easy-GREP is a menu driven subset for the
timid.  The macro facility is far better than Word Perfect's.
Footnotes and extended keyboard support are 2 features scheduled for
the first upgrade, due this summer.

Nisus uses a variety of techniques borrowed from FullWrite, such as
extra menus when using certain features, icons in the left margin,
and menus in the search/replace dialog box.  It has a nice
interface, is rock stable, and is FAST, FAST, FAST.

In summary, if you need the dtp features and have Mac IIs (or
SE/30's), go with FullWrite.  If you are more interested in
manipulating text than in pretty formatting, Nisus is worth a look.

Linda Iroff
Humanities Computing Center
Cornell University
elfj@crnlvax5
elfj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (02/22/89)

In article <8902211446.AA10018@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
writes:
   | I've used both Nisus and FullWrite extensively, and have recently
   | switched from the latter to the former.  Here's a brief comparison:
   | Nisus really shines with GREP, Global Regular
   | Expression Parser, which allows complex pattern matching in search...

Because of the huge volume of text processing I do, I use QUED/M,
also from Paragon Concepts.

What I would like to know is:

  1. How do the GREP and Macro facilities in Nisus compare to QUED/M?
  2. Can Nisus read and use QUED/M macros?
  3. With the additional overhead of features in Nisus, can
     anyone give me a speed comparison between the two?

   | Linda Iroff

Stu.

__Paths to my door:_______________________
microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only
[DE01HB]stuartb@DASNET#   {from AppleLink}  -    gave me the Mountain Dew
stuartb@microsoft.uucp    {well connected}  -      to dream it all in a
D2012 {@applelink.apple.com - shared acct}  -        caffeine haze :-)

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (02/27/89)

In article <710@microsoft.UUCP>, stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) writes:
> In article <8902211446.AA10018@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
> writes:
>
> [ why Linda likes Nisus, and why Stuart uses QUED/M ]
>
>   1. How do the GREP and Macro facilities in Nisus compare to QUED/M?
	Both the GREP and Macro facilities of Nisus are SUPERSETS of the
QUED/M stuff.  The guys at Paragon started with the QUED/M routines and then
proceeded to improve them and add to them.

>   2. Can Nisus read and use QUED/M macros?
	To tell you the truth, I have not tried it but since both Macros file
are stored as TEXT-type files you should be able to bring them in without much
trouble.

>   3. With the additional overhead of features in Nisus, can
>      anyone give me a speed comparison between the two?

	There is, of course, a speed decrease between Nisus and QUED/M but you
are comparing apple and oranges.  A more realistic question is how does Nisus
compare in speed to things like WORD and FWP - and the answer is it outspeeds
them both!!

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025