[comp.sys.mac] Is Switcher still alive?

jjw7384@ultb.UUCP (J.J. Wasilko) (02/19/89)

Does anyone have any idea if Switcher is still around? I've got version
5.1, but it just bombs horribly (with System 6.02).

I think Switcher might still be useful for people with one meg... (such
as myself) since MultiFinder seems to waste so much memory running
Finder.

If a newew version is available, please let me know.
Jeff Wasilko

Bitnet:
jjw7384@ritvax

>Does anyone have any idea if Switcher is still around? I've got version
>5.1, but it just bombs horribly (with System 6.02).

Switcher was de-supported with System release 5.0 (I believe. maybe earlier).

Chuq Von Rospach       -*-      Editor,OtherRealms      -*-      Member SFWA
chuq@apple.com  -*-  CI$: 73317,635  -*-  Delphi: CHUQ  -*-  Applelink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

Signature quotes? We don't need no stinkin' signature quotes!

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (02/21/89)

In article <362@ultb.UUCP> jjw7384@ultb.UUCP (J.J. Wasilko) writes:
>Does anyone have any idea if Switcher is still around? I've got version
>5.1, but it just bombs horribly (with System 6.02).

 Switcher is officially dead and unsupported. It does NOT work with
System 6.0x, and I don't believe it runs under 4.2 either.

>I think Switcher might still be useful for people with one meg... (such
>as myself) since MultiFinder seems to waste so much memory running
>Finder.

 You can achieve the same memory usage (or non-usage, actually) by
installing an 'ExitToShell' FKEY that will allow you to "Quit" the
Finder, thus freeing up 160K. To do this, you'll need ResEdit. Open
the Finder with ResEdit, and create a new resource of type FKEY. Open
this newly-created FKEY, and type A9F4 into the editing window (A9F4
is the trap number for _ExitToShell). Then close everything up, saving
changes when prompted. One other thing...use ResEdit's "Get Info" menu
command to change the FKEY resource's ID to a number (5..9 or 0) that
you'll use in conjunction with <command> and <shift> to invoke it.

 Once you're running something under MultiFinder, you can switch back
to the Finder and invoke your ExitToShell FKEY... the Finder "quits",
and you're in business. (One common use for this technique is running
THINK C in source-level-debugging mode on a 1 meg machine :-)) If you
need the Finder to "come back" for any reason, just quit all open
applications... it will return automagically.

 Hope this was helpful...

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    felix!dhw68k!thecloud@ics.uci.edu

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (02/22/89)

Mulifinder is essentially an extension on Switcher. Repackaged and
sold to the mac community as "multitasking".

In other words, Switcher is a dead issue. Sorry.

--hal

kw1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kevin Whitley) (02/23/89)

So, switcher is officially dead.  That's too bad.  It may have had problems but
I actually preferred its interface to the one I get in Multifinder.  I liked it
when each application worked in its own screen.  In multi-finder I often end up
with a dozen windows open, overlapping all over each other (generally because I
usually keep about 6 windows open in the Finder).  Maybe I'm weird but I can't
keep track of all that - as a result I don't use Multifinder.  I don't suppose
there's some option I don't know about in Multifinder that would give me a
Switcher style interface?

Kevin Whitley
kw1r@andrew.cmu.edu

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (02/24/89)

In article <sY123ay00UgCMOvlB7@andrew.cmu.edu> kw1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kevin Whitley) writes:
>So, switcher is officially dead.  That's too bad.  It may have had problems but
>I actually preferred its interface to the one I get in Multifinder.  I liked it
>when each application worked in its own screen.  In multi-finder I often end up
>with a dozen windows open, overlapping all over each other (generally because I
>usually keep about 6 windows open in the Finder).  Maybe I'm weird but I can't
>keep track of all that - as a result I don't use Multifinder.  I don't suppose
>there's some option I don't know about in Multifinder that would give me a
>Switcher style interface?
	MultiFinder 6.1, which is only available as part of the SADE release
from APDA, has a means to do something similar.  It has a "Set Aside" option
in the Apple menu which will hide the current layer.  With the option key
down it will hide all other layers.  Once that is done, option-click on the
application switch icon will cause the next layer to be unset-aside and the
current layer to be set aside.

>Kevin Whitley
>kw1r@andrew.cmu.edu

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry		(A/UX Toolbox Engineer)
apple!dwb@sun.com	dwb@apple.com	973-5168@408.MaBell

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (02/24/89)

In article <sY123ay00UgCMOvlB7@andrew.cmu.edu> kw1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kevin Whitley) writes:
>with a dozen windows open, overlapping all over each other (generally because I
>usually keep about 6 windows open in the Finder).  Maybe I'm weird but I can't
>keep track of all that - as a result I don't use Multifinder.  I don't suppose
>there's some option I don't know about in Multifinder that would give me a
>Switcher style interface?

Well, the next release of MultiFinder (currently shipping in Beta form with
MPW 3.0, which requires this version for the source debugger) has a "Set Aside"
feature that allows you to hide some or all of the inactive layers' windows.
Icons that you leave on the DeskTop in the Finder layer are still visible,
though.  This is really a very nice feature and should provide the functionality
you desire.

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
------------
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (02/27/89)

In article <614NETOPRHM@NCSUVM> NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) writes:
   | Mulifinder is essentially an extension on Switcher. Repackaged and
   | sold to the mac community as "multitasking".

Apple might take exception to you saying that :-)

The way I heard it (when MultiFinder was first released), Apple made
big noises about no code sharing whatsoever between Switcher and MultiFinder.

   | In other words, Switcher is a dead issue. Sorry.

Definately.  Although some people around here would rather give up thier lives
than switch (pardon the pun) to MultiFinder.. they just live with the
crashes (says he, just shaking his head in whimsical disbelief..).

   | --hal

Stu.

microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy