[comp.sys.mac] ScreenDump II

nancy@ftp.COM (Nancy Connor) (02/16/89)

I have a Mac II with 6.0.  I downloaded the ScreenDump II utility that
was just posted to comp.binaries.mac, installed it, and ran it.  When
I ran it, the Mac played a bit of music, blanked the screen, and put
up an angry mac with two rows of hex digits underneath.  Bad News!
So, I reboot.  Same thing.  So I reboot off of a floppy.  Well, I got
the Mac to boot, but now it doesn't see my hard disk.  At all!  Really
Bad News!

Luckily, I'm a member of the BCS Mac group, and they were able to help
me somewhat.  They had me clear the PRAM by holding down the Shift,
Command and Option keys and clicking on the Control Panel.  Then I
rebooted from a floppy and got my hard drive back.  Unfortunately, it
doesn't recognize my network interface now.  I've replaced the System
file, removed the application, and cleared the PRAM again, but to no
avail.

Any suggestions for getting my network interface back will be
gratefully accepted.  My Mac is feeling very lonesome.

	-Nancy Connor
	FTP Software
	...!harvard!ftp!nancy
	nancy@ftp.com

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (02/17/89)

In article <564@ftp.COM> nancy@ftp.COM (Nancy Connor) writes:
> I have a Mac II with 6.0.  I downloaded the ScreenDump II utility that
> was just posted to comp.binaries.mac, installed it, and ran it.  When
> I ran it, the Mac played a bit of music, blanked the screen, and put
> up an angry mac with two rows of hex digits underneath.  Bad News!
> [HORROR STORY DELETED]
> Any suggestions for getting my network interface back will be
> gratefully accepted.  My Mac is feeling very lonesome.
>
> 	-Nancy Connor
> 	FTP Software
> 	...!harvard!ftp!nancy
> 	nancy@ftp.com

If by your "Network Interface" you mean something which at startup time
hooks you up to a fileserver, like Appleshare's "UserName/Password" dialog,
these are INITs which require resources installed in the System File.
If you replace this, they're gone.

Appleshare comes with a Workstation Installer disk which you run on your
system file to configure it for network connection. Your system probably
had something similar done to it.  Rerun this program, or--if you came to
your Mac with it already running--talk to your network administrator.

----------

General Question: Has anyone else had problems with Screendump II? I've
downloaded it and wanna run it, but I'd rather not be the net's guinea pig
either... (:->).

----------

Hope this helps.

--
+-------------------+-jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu / !rutgers!bpa!swatsun!jackiw-+
|  nicholas jackiw  | jackiw%campus.swarthmore.edu@swarthmr.bitnet           |

nancy@ftp.COM (Nancy Connor) (02/18/89)

Since I didn't hear anything useful from the net, I rebuilt the System
File (using the Installer to re-install the network stuff along the
way), and things are back to normal.

Is the person who originally wrote ScreenDump II reading this
newsgroup?  If so, I would really appreciate it if you would please
get in touch with me.  I deleted the copy off my Mac when it caused
problems, and the original article has been expired here, so I no
longer have your address.

	-Nancy Connor
	FTP Software
	...!harvard!ftp!nancy
	nancy@ftp.com

gwills@maths.tcd.ie (Graham Wills) (02/27/89)

In article <569@ftp.COM> nancy@ftp.COM (Nancy Connor) writes:
>Since I didn't hear anything useful from the net, I rebuilt the System
>File (using the Installer to re-install the network stuff along the
>way), and things are back to normal.
>
>Is the person who originally wrote ScreenDump II reading this
>newsgroup?  If so, I would really appreciate it if you would please
>get in touch with me.  I deleted the copy off my Mac when it caused
>problems, and the original article has been expired here, so I no
>longer have your address.

I didn't write the program, but I posted it to binaries.  I'm very surprised
at the problems with it, since I've nver had any trouble with it...

I got it from a PD disk a while ago, ran it, installed the FKEYs and have used
it without ANY problems ever since (Mac II, System 6.0.2, Finder 6.1, No
networking). Could people who have installed it OK please mail me as I'm
interested in where it can fail since we'll be networking soon.

As for the guy who wrote it, the info in the program says he is :

Mike Whittingham
Mark 3 Software,
215 Thayer Pond Road,
Wilton,