[comp.sys.mac] What to read

>>I read in this newsgroup that MACazine was
>>going out of business and would cease publication this spring

>You heard right.

Yup. Which brings up the question: What do intelligent Macintosh people read
these days? Macintosh Horizons is dead (may it rest in peace). MACazine is
dead. So is, if you haven't heard, Macintosh Business Review (a collective
"I never even *HEARD* of that magazine" gasped from the crowd....).

For the person who wants more than the gloss of a MacUser or a MacWorld,
where do you go?

Damn good question.

It's hard to find a good, user (as opposed to business/advertiser oriented)
Mac magazine. If you qualify for a free subscription, there's MacWeek.
There's one of the Big Two [take your choice MacWorld or MacUser. I chose
MacWorld as the lesser of two evils]. For hacker-types, there's MacTutor.

Then what?

Let me make a couple of suggestions.

For hacker-types, take a look at MacTech Quarterly. This is from the folks
who used to run APDA and publish Macintosh Horizons. It isn't, strictly
speaking, a competitor of MacTutor. There's only been one issue so far, so
there are still a lot of questions about it (including: will the co-op board
do to it what it did to Horizons?), but the first issue was pretty
reasonable. Good information to chew on.

And for the rest of us, grab a copy of MacGuide. This has been a quarterly
catalog/review thingie, but they've just announced that they're going
monthly and they seem to be (more or less) aiming at the kind of magazine
that MacWeek was. The final quarterly issue looked really interesting, so
it'll be interesting to see what they do when they go monthly. By the way,
this is where Steve Bobker ended up when he left MacUser. This might be a
plus or minus to you.

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach       -*-      Editor,OtherRealms      -*-      Member SFWA
chuq@apple.com  -*-  CI$: 73317,635  -*-  Delphi: CHUQ  -*-  Applelink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

Signature quotes? We don't need no stinkin' signature quotes!

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (02/16/89)

What do you mean MBR is dead, it was bearly born!!! They were at MacWorld
trying to drum up business!  Sigh, I do not consider MacUser nor MacWorld
worth thumbing through. MacHorizens & Macazine were the last Mac Mags that
I read :*(

I just assumed that I would just spend more time with the Macs unstead
of reading.

But as you say, MacTech quarterly looks quite interesting. It will be
interesting to see if they can keep it up.

Oh well, back to my new copy of the Dairy Goat journal.

TeriAnn

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (02/17/89)

In article <430078@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes:
|What do you mean MBR is dead, it was bearly born!!! They were at MacWorld
I just returned a subscription qualification card for Mac Business
Review.  I guess I'll find out soon . . . :-)
=
UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

>What do you mean MBR is dead, it was bearly born!!!

Yup. It was announced in the last couple of weeks. They're owned by a Dutch
comglomerate that's decided to pull out of the U.S. market. Aren't you glad
you aren't in the publishing industry?

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (02/27/89)

In article <25809@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>It's hard to find a good, user (as opposed to business/advertiser oriented)
>Mac magazine. If you qualify for a free subscription, there's MacWeek.

Let me just point out that it isn't necessary to qualify for a free
subscription in order to get MacWeek.  It is available by subscription
for $75 a year, which may seem like a lot compared to Mac{World,User},
but just remember that it comes out four times as often and it is much
more timely.  It has many good reviews and it is very useful for keeping
up on what Apple and the software developers are coming up with.

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet

fleabag@athena.mit.edu (Jeff Bellsey) (02/28/89)

In article <25809@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>It's hard to find a good, user (as opposed to business/advertiser oriented)
>Mac magazine. If you qualify for a free subscription, there's MacWeek.

just, offhand, how does one qualify for a free subscription to
MacWEEK?  It's great, but I can't find it anywhere.

:bags
fleabag@athena.mit.edu