[comp.sys.mac] SE/30 Video Cards?

binder@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Tim Binder) (02/27/89)

I have a Mac Plus, and before I leave this esteemed institution of learning,
I'm thinking of replacing it with a Mac capable of handling color. Until now,
my goal was an (as-yet-unannounced) Mac IIcx. However, looking at the pricing
the idea of an SE/30 + a video card and monitor is potentially attractive.
The problem is that I don't know what video cards are available. Here's where
you can help:
     If you are aware of any such cards, especially currently available,
please let me know -- posting or (net.preferably) e-mail. If such a summary
has already happened, could someone just drop that to me.
	Thanks everyone, not just for your help here, but for the newsgroup
in general. It is my major source of information --not to mention the most
current.
	Tim

       __                                                         ____________
      /\ \  Timothy M. Binder (binder@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)      /_________  /\
     /  \ \  CI$ 71106,1124 [but VERY rarely]                    \  ______/ / /
    / /\ \ \  SCAnet: Gwydion Rhys ap Rhianwen!Bailiwick of       \ \ \  / / /
   / / /\ \ \    Ivyeinrust!Barony of Bhakail!Kingdom of the East  \ \ \/ / /
  / / /__\_\ \                                                      \ \ \/ /
 / / /________\   "[Cthulhu] makes Gozer look like little Mary       \ \  /
 \/___________/    Sunshine." -- 'Collect Call of Cthulhu'_TRG_       \_\/
Disclaimer: All opinions contained herein are fictional. Any resemblance to
            real opinions is purely coincidental.

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (02/28/89)

In article <8389@netnews.upenn.edu> binder@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Tim Binder) writes:
>I have a Mac Plus, and before I leave this esteemed institution of learning,
>I'm thinking of replacing it with a Mac capable of handling color. Until now,
>my goal was an (as-yet-unannounced) Mac IIcx. However, looking at the pricing
>the idea of an SE/30 + a video card and monitor is potentially attractive.
>The problem is that I don't know what video cards are available. Here's where

As far as I know, the only officially announced color video cards are
by SuperMac and RasterOps.  The SuperMac Spectrum 8/II supports the
AppleColor monitor and large screens up to 1024x768, 256 colors and
lists for ~$1900.  I believe the RasterOps has the same basic specs,
but I don't know the price.  I'm hoping someone will offer a lower
priced board that only supports the AppleColor monitor.  Anyone heard
any news?

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.