[comp.sys.mac] Radius Monitors

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (02/21/89)

In article <13573@duke.cs.duke.edu> lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) writes:

<Using LightSpeed pascal (v 2.0), I found that my machine would hang
<(wristwatch never go away, menu header never unhighlighted, etc).  This
<was confusing, since it works so well on other macII's and se's around.
<
<It must be one of my (many) inits, right?  Right!  Using "init cdev" I played
<around turning init's off and on, and came to the conclusion the LSP would
<only hang if I had Radius' II Display running.  I tried it as the only one on,
<the machine hung.  I then turned everything else on and turned it off.  LSP
<ran as expected.

<Opinion of radius software:  It is almost essential to have the large menu
<bars since the pixels are small.  It is nice to have tear-off menus.  But the
<software has caused problems in more ways than one.  (Heirarchical menus from

<I guess its time to throw out Radius' init.

Can you throw out the Radius init and still run the two page display? (You
are talking about this monitor aren't you?)

We just got two Mac IIx's with Radius two-page displays. I urged the users
of these machines to try the tour that came on the HD floppy because of
the additional sounds and music. Neither machine could run the tour. Both
produced the bomb.

I loaded 6.03 and tried the diskette that came with my SE/30 it it finally
ran. Version 6.03 is supposed to fix problems with the HD floppy drive, so
maybe that was the only problem. But don't you think that it is incredible
for this top of the line machine to not run the introductory tour--especially
since Apple put it on a HD floppy and added new goodies? I'm betting it was
some interaction with the Radius Display software.

I think I'll stick with E Machines. It hasn't choked on anything I've
fed it.

Shirley Kehr

rusty@hodge.UUCP ( System Manager) (02/28/89)

In article <84113@felix.UUCP>, kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
> Can you throw out the Radius init and still run the two page display? (You
> are talking about this monitor aren't you?)

Yes, it behaves just fine on the Mac II when you do this.  You don't
need big menus!  They tend to confuse lots of applications.
--

Rusty "No Bugs" Hodge, 1588 N. Batavia St. Orange, CA 92667 Tel (714) 974-6300
rusty@hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz vdelta crash]!hodge!rusty FAX (714) 921-8038