[comp.sys.mac] Tear-Off Menus

lad@sdl.UUCP (Lawrence A. Deleski) (02/28/89)

From article <13672@duke.cs.duke.edu>, by lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland):
> In some other article, someone writes:
>> does the radius work without the init that they provide for the TPD?
>
> Yes, it does work.  However, the menubar is small, since the size of the
> pixels is smaller than normal.  It also means that you do not get tear-off
> menus.

So what's the big deal about tear-off menus anyway?  All they do is clutter
your desktop workspace, especially on an FPD.  My big screen system (a Mirage
II) came with a pop-up menu feature.  The menu bar will come up on the desktop
right under the cursor anywhere on the screen, whenever you want it.  This, in
my opinion, is much better than having a tear-off menu that may only get
occasional use lying around on the desktop taking up space.

As for the Radius large menu bar, doesn't that have compatibility problems
too?

--
        Lawrence A. Deleski             |       Silicon Compiler Systems
        uunet!clyde!sdl!bub!lad         |       15 Independence Blvd.