[comp.sys.mac] WHO CARES

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (02/21/89)

In article <652@m3.mfci.UUCP>, Chris Ryland <ryland@multiflow.com> writes:
> I'm looking to sell my trusty 2-year-old SE (1 MB RAM, 20 MB internal
> drive, keyboard) plus Microsoft Excel (unused)
> Since the SE-20HD lists for ~$3300 and sells for ~$2800, I'm
> asking $2200 for it.  This unit has never had any problems, and hasn't
> seen a lot of use (probably only has a hundred hours of operating
> time, running Word and Finale).

	lately, there are, more than ever, TOO MANY  For-Sale articles
	posted to this group;  so I'd like to raise a voice to reason
	with those of you who are considering posting the next article:

		Werner's Rules for Posting For-Sale Articles:

1) limit distribution of your for-sale articles to the area that you are
   willing to drive to, to demo and deliver your machine (after all, there
   is the little problem of exchanging working equipment for cash and how
   to go about that)

2) price your equipment "reasonable" (cheap?) - after all, you are saving
   advertising expenses to yourself by posting (actually, you cause others
   expense).  Now, as a rule of thumb, a computer, like most anything else,
   loses X% value at the moment of sale and, another Y% when the warranty
   period expires or warranty cannot be transfered or a minimum period
   of functionality is not guaranteed in some other way. Furthermore,
   value is reduced by another Z% when a newer, improved model is intro-
   duced.  All considered, if a computer does not lose, AT LEAST, 50% after
   2 years and is nearly worthless after 4 years, we must be living on
   different planets.

3) post your FOR-SALE-articles  to the groups created for that purpose,
   misc.forsale, and respect the wishes of your net-friends who chose
   not to read that group.  If you are of the opinion that the current
   news-software does not allow sufficient finely grained selection of
   articles and that someone, who might be interested in a Macintosh
   for-sale is also not likely to read misc.forsale:  welcome to the club.
   but do not confuse that with "welcome to post it to comp.sys.mac" !!!

4)	<left open for someone else to add to rules 1-3>

and in view of the already overcrowded situation in comp.sys.mac:

		Give a hoot, don't pollute !!
--
--------------------> PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS <---------------------
(ARPA)	    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (02/23/89)

In article <3639@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>	lately, there are, more than ever, TOO MANY  For-Sale articles
>	posted to this group;  so I'd like to raise a voice to reason
>	with those of you who are considering posting the next article:

 I for one do not mind seeing Mac stuff for sale in this group...It would
 be out of hand if items being sold were not Mac related, but I don't
 want to chase from group to group to find Mac items for sale, right
 here is fine to me...Perhaps like on Fidonet they create mac4sale..
 perhaps a news group for mac items for sale would be appropriate now.

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

lad@sdl.UUCP (Lawrence A. Deleski) (02/23/89)

From article <3639@utastro.UUCP>, by werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig):

> 		Werner's Rules for Posting For-Sale Articles:

[rules deleted]

I hate to have to disagree with you Werner, but there is nothing wrong with
posting macs for sale in comp.sys.mac.  I myself have posted several Macs here
and sold them too,  and not one of them was from an area I could 'drive and
demo' the hardware.  (I sold 3 Mac +'s to people on the West Coast).

Unless the net.powers say differently, I'll continue to post for.sale stuff
here, that is, unless you'd like to see a comp.sys.mac.forsale group added.
How about it netters, wanna vote on this?

--
        Lawrence A. Deleski             |       Silicon Compiler Systems
        uunet!clyde!sdl!bub!lad         |       15 Independence Blvd.

erik@hpsad.HP.COM (Erik Kilk) (02/24/89)

I thought the index page was for sifting out the articles
one doesn't want to read.  To tell you the truth, the FOR SALE
notices are much less anoying (since I can easily ignore them) than
complaints, especially the ones with unspecific titles like "WHO CARES".

While I'm here, let me say I'm also interested in selling my
SE:
	Macintosh SE
	2.5 Meg RAM
	40  Meg External Apple hard disk
	2 floppies, standard keyboard, mouse, cables

	Bought last year, all used lightly and in
	excellent condition.
				Asking  $ 2800 (negotiable)

Located 1 hr north of San Francisco in Sonoma county.

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (02/28/89)

In article <1154@bub.sdl.UUCP> lad@sdl.UUCP (Lawrence A. Deleski) writes:

<I hate to have to disagree with you Werner, but there is nothing wrong with
<posting macs for sale in comp.sys.mac.
>How about it netters, wanna vote on this?

Yes. I'd rather see Macs for sale here too. That way I don't have to read
about PC's and other stuff that I couldn't imagine using in any current
machine. Has anyone read misc.forsale lately? I posted a PC for sale there
and not only have I not had any replies, I haven't even seen a complaint
about the price. I wonder if anyone reads misc.forsale unless they have
something to sell.

Shirley Kehr

pete@titan.titan.rice.edu (Pete Keleher) (03/01/89)

I, for one, would rather see the bandwidth used for what it was intended,
spreading KNOWLEDGE, not trying to turn a buck.

no smiley

Pete Keleher										pete@titan.rice.edu

Rice University knows nuttin about what I say, or what I do ...

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (03/01/89)

in article <84702@felix.UUCP>, kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) says:

> In article <1154@bub.sdl.UUCP> lad@sdl.UUCP (Lawrence A. Deleski) writes:
>
> <I hate to have to disagree with you Werner, but there is nothing wrong with
> <posting macs for sale in comp.sys.mac.
>>How about it netters, wanna vote on this?
>
> Yes. I'd rather see Macs for sale here too. That way I don't have to read
> about PC's and other stuff that I couldn't imagine using in any current
> machine. Has anyone read misc.forsale lately? I posted a PC for sale there
> and not only have I not had any replies, I haven't even seen a complaint
> about the price. I wonder if anyone reads misc.forsale unless they have
> something to sell.

I agree that sales notices of Mac-related things should go in comp.sys.mac.
It's where we all look. Personally, I think that the people who post
used machine sales are doing us all a service. I don't mind it one bit.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
husc6!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundidity:
		"No matter where you go, there you are..."
			Buckaroo Banzai

AXS101@PSUVM.BITNET (Adrian Sullivan) (03/01/89)

In article <84702@felix.UUCP>, kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) says:
>Has anyone read misc.forsale lately? I posted a PC for sale there
>and not only have I not had any replies, I haven't even seen a complaint
>about the price. I wonder if anyone reads misc.forsale unless they have
>something to sell.
>
>Shirley Kehr

who would want a PC? (ick!)

                                     Adrian Sullivan