[comp.sys.mac] 6.0.2 and Word

oliveira@bbn.com (John Oliveira) (02/08/89)

has anybody experience problems using microsoft word  with system 6.0.2,
i've been getting a lot of system bombs just by saving a file or just by
send it to print or even by just looking at the mac without doing anything
it just bombs.
is word incompatible with 6.0.2 system or is the system buggy?
thank you

vermilye@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Jon R. Vermilye) (02/09/89)

In article <35727@bbn.COM> oliveira@bbn.com (John Oliveira) writes:

>has anybody experience problems using microsoft word  with system 6.0.2,
>i've been getting a lot of system bombs just by saving a file or just by
>send it to print or even by just looking at the mac without doing anything
>it just bombs.
>is word incompatible with 6.0.2 system or is the system buggy?
>thank you
Check for a virus.  We have been using Word 3.01 & system 6.0.2 with
out any problems.

Jon R. Vermilye
Departmnt of Theatre
SUNY Oswego
Oswego, NY 13126
315 341 2138

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (02/09/89)

In article <1063@oswego.Oswego.EDU> vermilye@oswego.oswego.edu.Oswego.EDU (Jon R. Vermilye) writes:
>In article <35727@bbn.COM> oliveira@bbn.com (John Oliveira) writes:
>>
>>has anybody experience problems using microsoft word  with system 6.0.2,
>>i've been getting a lot of system bombs just by saving a file or just by
>>send it to print or even by just looking at the mac without doing anything
>>it just bombs.
>>is word incompatible with 6.0.2 system or is the system buggy?
>>thank you
>Check for a virus.  We have been using Word 3.01 & system 6.0.2 with
>out any problems.
>
>Jon R. Vermilye

ARGGGGGHHHHHH!!  No flame intended, but I am really getting tired of every
one's first reaction to any glitch to be running for the hills yeling VIRUS!!!

First of all, Word is well known as not the most well behaved program.  Since
we know nothing about what inits John is running (which would complicate the
question somewhat) there is little or nothing we can say as yet.

Question to john:  It is unclear from your message, Is word your overwhelmingly
dominant application.  That is do you run anything else long enough or frequent
ly enough to know if the bomb is occuring in other circumstances.

In particular, since the bomb happens even when just sitting doing nothing
have you tried just leaving the machine at the finder level doing nothing
for a while?  I had a machine that was bombing intermittently and randomly
and I discovered finally that it would happen even just sitting at the
finder for a while.  As soon as I disabled my speedup card the system was
fine.  turns out the processor had gone flakey.

Anyway, I'd say you need to send some more specifics about the hardware
and software environment before anyone can be of much help.

Josh

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (02/09/89)

I have 6.0.2 and Word 3.02 and have had no problems.  But I have had
weird crashing problems with Word 3.02 in the past (6.0 and 5).  My
solution was to drag the Word Settings file out of the System Folder.
(I say drag it out instead of delete, just in case you have done
a lot of preference setting and the "fix" doesn't work).  My problems
disappeared.  This may also help with PageMaker 3.01 bombs when
manipulating images, so maybe this should be a standard Mac trick
when a program acts up.

After trashing my Word Settings file, then setting up new preferences and
menus, I locked the new Settings file, and I haven't had a crash since.

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (02/09/89)

From article <1063@oswego.Oswego.EDU>, by vermilye@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Jon R. Vermilye):
> In article <35727@bbn.COM> oliveira@bbn.com (John Oliveira) writes:
>has anybody experience problems using microsoft word  with system 6.0.2,
>i've been getting a lot of system bombs just by saving a file or just by
>send it to print or even by just looking at the mac without doing anything
>it just bombs.
>is word incompatible with 6.0.2 system or is the system buggy?
>thank you
	We've used this on several SE's with no problems.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dave =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EOT

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (02/09/89)

In article <7780@netnews.upenn.edu> hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Josh Hodas) writes:
>In article <1063@oswego.Oswego.EDU> vermilye@oswego.oswego.edu.Oswego.EDU (Jon R. Vermilye) writes:
>>In article <35727@bbn.COM> oliveira@bbn.com (John Oliveira) writes:
>>>
>>>has anybody experience problems using microsoft word  with system 6.0.2,
>>>i've been getting a lot of system bombs just by saving a file or just by
>>>send it to print or even by just looking at the mac without doing anything
>>>it just bombs.
>>>is word incompatible with 6.0.2 system or is the system buggy?
>First of all, Word is well known as not the most well behaved program.  Since
>we know nothing about what inits John is running (which would complicate the
>question somewhat) there is little or nothing we can say as yet.

>Anyway, I'd say you need to send some more specifics about the hardware
>and software environment before anyone can be of much help.

I, too, would have to know more.

For example, are you running that misbegotten excuse, MacroMaker, on your
system?  If you are, there is a high probability that something is screwy
there.  The behaviour you describe sounds an awful lot like the crashes I've
seen in Word, LSC, LSP, Turbo Pascal, MPW, and a lot of other products
when that insipid little INIT is running around.

Are you running any INITs that might be incompatible with 6.0.2, like early
versions of hierDA or Moire?  A lot of these INITs are compatible if you
have the current version -- they had to be upgraded for compatibility.

What version of Word are you running?

Are you running under Finder or MultiFinder?  If MultiFinder, what else is
running?

This predisposition to blame everything on virii amounts to nothing more
that hysteria and does not lead toward a solution to either problem.

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
------------
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) (02/10/89)

In article <35727@bbn.COM> oliveira@bbn.com (John Oliveira) writes:

>has anybody experience problems using microsoft word  with system 6.0.2,
>i've been getting a lot of system bombs just by saving a file or just by
>send it to print or even by just looking at the mac without doing anything
>it just bombs.
>is word incompatible with 6.0.2 system or is the system buggy?
>thank you

I have a friend who uses word - under 6.0.2 and multfinder, while saving, Word
"unexpectedly quit" causing him to loose 8 hrs worth of work. This is what he
wrote (ARE YOU LISTENING MICROSOFT!! OPEN YOUR EARS!!)

----------

To: harvey@xray.byu
Subject: MS Word sucks finally
Cc: gshapiro, jayvana, sthamel, tron

I have finally said it.  I have a good reason to say it.  MS Word sucks.  This
is the first time I have ever had it actually lose something on me.  I am going
to call up Microsoft support tomorrow morning and find out if there is any way
I can recover this thing.

I had just spent all of Sunday night (no sleep, sounds like you, Todd!) writing
a report for an ME course, and at 10:00, I was just finishing printing it out,
as the class started.  I ran over to the class to hand it in, and left.  Then
today in class the professor told me to see him, and he said I had done the
report all wrong and had to rewrite the thing and hand it in late and get it
marked down for being late.  So I said ok.  It was my own stupid fault, because
I printed out the wrong thing on the AT&T PCs that he told us to print out
the report instructions from, and I didn't know how to use them very well, so
I never went back to print them out because it was such a chore.  Stupid, but
what's done is done.

So this afternoon I started rewriting the whole thing.  I used Word's outliner
to organize it, and I was going crazy with MacDraw and Word together in
Multifinder to make great organized, illustrated stuff, so that if I couldn't
impress the professor with my ability to follow instructions, at least I could
impress him by doing it really nicely once I got it done.

About half an hour ago I came to a good stopping point (I had been working on
this revision non stop from 5:00 until about 1:00--8 FUCKING hours, guys!  This
is an entire day for Joe Buisinessman!  Microsoft, are you listening???), so I
decided to go to bed and spend a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon to finish
it up and hand it in only two days late.  So I hit command-s, it saves fine.

Then I do what I always do whenever I save a Word document completely for a
while.  I do a save as, and turn fast save off.  This is a perfectly acceptable
thing, and I do it because it will save me quite a bit of disk space on a file
of this size (13,400 characters in the character count from Word, and it was
54 K on the disk, which I looked at out of curiosity since I was in multifinder
and all I had to do was pop back to the finder, get info, and pop back to Word
and do a complete resave on the thing).

So I hit save, and hit yes to "do you want to replace Project 1 file?"  It gets
to 33% saved, and suddenly I get a multifinder error of (3), and multifinder
tells me that Word has unexpectedly quit.

What?

WHAT?

Word?

No.

No, Word.

You don't do this to me.

Mathematica does this to me.

Lightspeed Pascal can do this to me.

Even HyperCard can do something like this to me.

But not you, Word, good old, very close, very trustworthy friend.

And in the middle of a save as?  Where I was replacing my only other copy of
this file that exists in the universe?  Naw, naw!  Microsoft isn't STUPID!  They
wouldn't do a save as that replaces a document by erasing the doc, then writing
over it!  They would write out a new doc, then delete the old, and rename the
new!  We learned that "good programming technique" back in Computer 2 with Mr.
Huot, right?

So I go and examine the situation.

Project 1 is now 34K.  Well, maybe it did finish and non fast save just saved
me 20K.  Open it.  This document is damaged.  I'll open it as a text document
for you.  Garbage.  These are the text representations of the drawings I used
in the document, which I don't care about because I saved those each in their
own files, anyway.  But no text.

Panic.  Yes.  Panic.  SHIT.

Ok, let's go to Symantec Utilities now and undelete all of the word temp and,
heck, let's delete every file I can, just in case!

Hey, this looks promising!  Word temp 10 (the highest numbered one!) consists
of 11K!  That sounds like most of the text I typed to me!  Open it.  yeay.  a
fucking picture of a fucking drawing i had fucking saved with macdraw
alfuckingready.  fuck.  open other word temps.  more macdraws.  open word
temps in system folder.  garbage.  scroll throug the garbage.  multifinder
error 3 again.  what the uck is this shit?  try again.  error again.  this
time a system bomb.  guess there was some bug in my system.  ok, that does it.
 I'm going to call Microsoft customer support to find out when they're opened
tomorrow.  I did that.

6 to 6 pacific time.  great.  that means I have to make two calls to
california.  But if they can save me, it will be worth it.  We'll have to see
tomorrow morning.  Luckily it's wednesday, so I don't have classes and can
spend most of the morning trying to recover from this problem.

Now it's 2:00, and the screen seems to be growing farther and farther away
from me, the fan seems to be getting louder and louder, and the keyboard is
feeling mighty strange and distant from my eyes right now.  I think this means
I'm getting very tired and should be going to bed now.  Ha!  But I HAD been
planning to do that one hour ago!  SHIT!

SHIT SHI SHI SIHT!  FUck stow i cant even type well anymore.  goodinght
everyone.  shit

---------

As you can see, he was very irritated, and even moreso at the inept "customer
support lines at MICROSOFT. I hope that They're listening...

-Rick

+----------------------------+--------------------+--------------------+
| Richard G. Brewer (TRON)   | Power through	  | rbrewer@wpi.bitnet |
| WPI Box 149		     | better design      |   tron@wpi.wpi.edu |
| 100 Institute Rd.	     | and engineering.   +--------------------+
| Worcester, Ma  01609-2280  +--------------------+ President: 	       |
| (508) 792-3231	     |   VaNDaL's SaCk    | The Apple Guild    |
+----------------------------+--------------------+--------------------+
|                    . . . E N D  O F  L I N E . . . 		       |

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (02/10/89)

In article <730@wpi.WPI.EDU> tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:
>I have a friend who uses word - under 6.0.2 and multfinder, while saving, Word
>"unexpectedly quit" causing him to loose 8 hrs worth of work. This is what he
>wrote (ARE YOU LISTENING MICROSOFT!! OPEN YOUR EARS!!)

[6K of text consisting mostly of swearing deleted for OBVIOUS reasons]

I have passed you comments on.

Stu.

__Paths to my door:_______________________
microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only
[DE01HB]stuartb@DASNET#   {from AppleLink}  -    gave me the Mountain Dew
stuartb@microsoft.uucp    {well connected}  -      to dream it all in a
D2012 {@applelink.apple.com - shared acct}  -        caffeine haze :-)

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (02/11/89)

Losing 8 hours of work sounds like something he deserved if you aks me.
Anyone foolish enough to trust a computer not to destroy his work by
NOT SAVING FREQUENTLY deserves what he gets...and it appears to me that
this person who is blaming Microsoft for the problem he created...needs
to learn how to use Command-S a little more often...

just my opinion....

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

see1@tank.uchicago.edu (Ellen Keyne Seebacher) (02/11/89)

>I have a friend who uses word - under 6.0.2 and multfinder, while saving, Word
>"unexpectedly quit" causing him to loose 8 hrs worth of work....

[profanity deleted]

I find it incredible that anyone with ANY computer experience would
work on a document for eight hours without saving it.

Every computer lab on campus has a sign suggesting that, in order to
save themselves and the support staff a lot of grief, they save
their work EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES.

Enough said.

--
Ellen Keyne Seebacher                 University of Chicago Computing Orgzns.
see1@tank.uchicago.edu                staff.ellen@chip.uchicago.edu

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (02/11/89)

In article <1790@tank.uchicago.edu> see1@tank.uchicago.edu (Ellen Keyne Seebacher) writes:
>>I have a friend who uses word - under 6.0.2 and multfinder, while saving, Word
>>"unexpectedly quit" causing him to loose 8 hrs worth of work....
>
>[profanity deleted]
>
>I find it incredible that anyone with ANY computer experience would
>work on a document for eight hours without saving it.
>
>Every computer lab on campus has a sign suggesting that, in order to
>save themselves and the support staff a lot of grief, they save
>their work EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES.
>
>Enough said.
>
>--
>Ellen Keyne Seebacher                 University of Chicago Computing Orgzns.
>see1@tank.uchicago.edu                staff.ellen@chip.uchicago.edu

Actually, the poor fellow *had* saved; it was only when he did a Save
As... that Word barfed and left naught but a file of half-digested bits.
The problem was that Word crashed as it was *overwriting* a saved file.

As for me, I never use Save As (in ANY program) without changing the name
of the saved as file to Something Completely Different.

Word is probably not the World's Worst Offender, but it's so widely used
that Steve Costa, BMUG's File Messiah Extraordinaire, has had to save
more trashed Word documents than any other, by a looooooooooong margin.

John Heckendorn

                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |

swerling@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ace Swerling) (02/12/89)

In article <1790@tank.uchicago.edu> see1@tank.uchicago.edu (Ellen Keyne Seebacher) writes:
>>I have a friend who uses word - under 6.0.2 and multfinder, while saving, Word
>>"unexpectedly quit" causing him to loose 8 hrs worth of work....
>
>[profanity deleted]
>
>I find it incredible that anyone with ANY computer experience would
>work on a document for eight hours without saving it.
>
>Every computer lab on campus has a sign suggesting that, in order to
>save themselves and the support staff a lot of grief, they save
>their work EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES.
>
>Enough said.
>
>--
>Ellen Keyne Seebacher                 University of Chicago Computing Orgzns.

He said that he did save the work.  He said that he was finished and was doing
a Save As... with Fast Save turned off to save some disk space.  What Word
did was to delete his old copy, and try to re-save the file over again.  This
was not his fault, it was definitely wither Word's or MultiFinder's fault.

-Ace                swerling@caen.engin.umich.edu

zebolskyd@byuvax.bitnet (02/12/89)

I guess he got what he deserved, but for the wrong reason. The right reason
would have been a power failure or some kind of bomb unrelated to saving a
file. This chap was doing "the right thing" by saving when Word (or parties
unknown, round up the usual suspects) stabbed him in the back. I guess the
only protection against such treachery is to save O F T E N to alternating
files (Thesis.a and Thesis.b, for example) if disk space permits. One needs
two floppies to get Word to work nicely, anyway. Being somewhat paranoid
about file loss since a neighbor accidently deleted his Master's thesis, I
keep four copies, including a "yesterday's version", of anything of value.
A friend had seven copies of his thesis by the time it was complete.

This apparent problem with Word was mentioned months ago, but appears so
infrequently and with such poor repeatability that is was at first treated
like a UFO sighting. Perhaps it will now get some serious attention. Has
anyone else had the same unfortunate experience? If so, consider posting
the details (with as little profanity as possible) as an aid to finding
the bug, whosever bug it is.

Lyle D. Gunderson
zebolskyd@byuvax.bitnet

ben@tasis.utas.oz (Ben Lian) (02/13/89)

In article <330@bridge2.3Com.Com> ngg@bridge2.3Com.com (Norman Goodger) writes:

>Losing 8 hours of work sounds like something he deserved if you aks me.
>Anyone foolish enough to trust a computer not to destroy his work by
>NOT SAVING FREQUENTLY deserves what he gets...and it appears to me that
>this person who is blaming Microsoft for the problem he created...needs
>to learn how to use Command-S a little more often...

(1) The original posting had to do with apparent incompatiblitites between
    Word 3.x and 6.0.2.  I have been running that combination since 6.0.2
    first arrived last year and have had little trouble, at least nothing that
    I could definitely ascribe to an interaction between the two.  It is
    really difficult to pin down a problem if you run a lot of INITS, CDEVS,
    DAs etc etc.  Which leads me to...

(2) I agree completely with Norman.  I hadn't intended to post a "should've
    known better" note, since I've been-there-done-that.  But programming
    is a surprisingly difficult activity -- I doubt that there is a single
    programmer around who would be prepared to wager his/her life on the
    correctness of a LARGE application that they have created.  You just
    have to look at something like the U.S. space program and see how many
    software failures it has experienced over the years to see that no matter
    how much you test your software, you can rarely be 100% sure that its not
    going to do something naughty at the wrong time.  MS Word isn't part of
    the space program, but then again it isn't mission-critical software
    either and probably doesn't go through the same rigour in development.
    (Tell me I'm wrong Stu :-))

(3) And then, have you ever wondered why most (if not all) the software
    you buy comes with those seemingly outrageous disclaimers of liability?
    Some of the loudest complaints I have heard have come from engineers
    (I have two of them as brothers!) who gripe about the lack of professional
    responsibility shown by software vendors, who are not prepared to back-up
    their products.  In many engineering disciplines, the engineer can build
    a certain amount of tolerance into the design (the 'fudge facter').
    With programs, they are either correct or wrong.  All things being equal,
    a program either works perfectly and is guaranteed to never crash, or
    the vendor inserts an escape clause that protects him from years of very
    expensive litigation.  Unpalatable perhaps, but by the same token, also
    understandable.

Ben Lian

Benjamin Y H Lian             ACSnet: ben@tasis.utas.oz
Dept. of EE & CS              ARPA  : ben%tasis.utas.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
University of Tasmania        BITnet: munnari!tasis.utas.oz!ben@
GPO Box 252C                          uunet.uu.net  (I think)
Hobart, Tasmania 7001         UUCP  : {enea,hplabs,mcvax,uunet,ukc}!
A U S T R A L I A                     munnari!tasis.utas.oz!ben

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (02/13/89)

In article <1063@oswego.Oswego.EDU> vermilye@oswego.oswego.edu.Oswego.EDU (Jon R. Vermilye) writes:
<>is word incompatible with 6.0.2 system or is the system buggy?
<>thank you
<Check for a virus.  We have been using Word 3.01 & system 6.0.2 with
<out any problems.

The correct version of Word for use with System 6 is 3.02. Call Microsoft
and ask for an update.

Shirley Kehr

js9b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. Slenk) (02/14/89)

Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.mac: 10-Feb-89 Re: 6.0.2 and Word Norman
Goodger@bridge2.3 (536)

Losing 8 hours of work sounds like something he deserved if you aks me.
Anyone foolish enough to trust a computer not to destroy his work by
NOT SAVING FREQUENTLY deserves what he gets...and it appears to me that
this person who is blaming Microsoft for the problem he created...needs
to learn how to use Command-S a little more often...

just my opinion....
-----------------

Just _my_ opinion: If software has been advertised to work, it should do so as
defined by the company. I doubt that Word's packaging says "This product may
erase all your work while saving" because if it did, no one would buy it. They
never said it, so it really shouldn't happen (ie the idea of saving a file does
not include destroying it irretrievably (sp?)).

Thus: while the dude should have saved a lot more, perhaps, and not have used
the Save As... selection, it is still microsoft who screwed him up in the end.

Sincerely,
Jon Slenk / js9b CMU.

tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) (02/15/89)

In article <oXxq4cy00XogA3L24k@andrew.cmu.edu> js9b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. Slenk) writes:
>Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.mac: 10-Feb-89 Re: 6.0.2 and Word Norman
>Goodger@bridge2.3 (536)
>
>Losing 8 hours of work sounds like something he deserved if you aks me.
>Anyone foolish enough to trust a computer not to destroy his work by
>NOT SAVING FREQUENTLY deserves what he gets...and it appears to me that
>this person who is blaming Microsoft for the problem he created...needs
>to learn how to use Command-S a little more often...
>
>Just _my_ opinion: If software has been advertised to work, it should do so as
>defined by the company. I doubt that Word's packaging says "This product may
>erase all your work while saving" because if it did, no one would buy it. They
>never said it, so it really shouldn't happen (ie the idea of saving a file does
>not include destroying it irretrievably (sp?)).
>
>Thus: while the dude should have saved a lot more, perhaps, and not have used
>the Save As... selection, it is still microsoft who screwed him up in the end.

Jon -

That person DID [cmd]-[s] VERY frequently. The problem is that MS's saving
routines and .tmp files aren't doing what they are supposed to.

TEMP files SHOULD CARRY A *COMPLETE* BACKUP OF THE DOCUMENT BEING WORKED ON.

SAVES OVER EXISTING FILES SHOULD WORK IN THIS FASHON:

		1. WRITE NEW VERSION UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME
		2. ERASE OLD VERSION IF NEW VERSION SAVE WAS SUCCESSFUL
		   ELSE ERASE THE CORRUPTED NEW SAVE
		3. RENAME THE NEW FILE WITH THE NAME OF THE OLD VERSION

These procedures for file saving are taught in BASIC LEVEL CS courses. Perhaps
Microsoft should invest in them...

Bad programming and incompatability with system software (i.e. MultiFinder) IS
MS's fault, also. It is there responsibility to warn their users of this.

Richard G. Brewer
Systems Consultant
Worcester Polytechnic Institute

+----------------------------+--------------+--------------------------+
| Richard G. Brewer (TRON)   | Worcester    |       rbrewer@wpi.bitnet |
| WPI Box 149                | Polytechnic  |         tron@wpi.wpi.edu |
| 100 Institute Rd.          | Institute    +--------------------------+
| Worcester, Ma  01609-2280  +--------------+ "Power through better    |
| (508) 792-3231             | VaNdaLs Sack |  design and engineering" |
+----------------------------+--------------+--------------------------+

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (02/15/89)

I feel strange defending Microsoft, but all of the blame being placed
at their doorstep may not be deserved.  Let's face it: the present Mac
does not have any memory protection, and that is just asking for
instability.  That is, any program (including, of course, INITs) that
one has run since one last rebooted could be the culprit that causes
a crash.  Any program can overwrite anyone else's data or code with
impunity, so a Word "crash" might actually have been set up by
the game one played before bringing up Word, or by the DA one used to
do a word count, or by one's nifty screenblanking INIT, or...

Of course, Word could be at fault, or even 6.0.2, I am not trying to
exhonorate the guilty or blame the victim here.  I just want to suggest
alternative causes for our problems.  [Then there is always the paranoid
suggestion that a virus caused a crash.  That is about as likely as the
beginning programmer's excuse that a compiler bug screwed up their code.
:-)]

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (02/15/89)

In article <83350@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
   | The correct version of Word for use with System 6 is 3.02. Call Microsoft
   | and ask for an update.

The only real reason for getting version 3.02 is if you are using an
ImageWriter LQ.

Word 3.01 is fine with System Release 6.0.2.

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (02/16/89)

In article js9b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. Slenk) writes:
>Just _my_ opinion: If software has been advertised to work, it should do so as
>defined by the company. I doubt that Word's packaging says "This product may
>erase all your work while saving" because if it did, no one would buy it. They
>never said it, so it really shouldn't happen (ie the idea of saving a file does
>not include destroying it irretrievably (sp?)).
>
>Thus: while the dude should have saved a lot more, perhaps, and not have used
>the Save As... selection, it is still microsoft who screwed him up in the end.

While my initial opinion still stands, I do concur that Microsoft does
take some blame perhaps as the software should be able to deal with some
errors. However if you save minimally every 10-15 minutes perhaps more,
you are guaranteed of losing only that much work unless a subsequent crash
takes the document with it... If you refuse to save often, and trust the
computer and the "software" not to screw up, you still get what you ask for,
and thats a lot of work down the drain...

---

--

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (02/16/89)

In article <330@bridge2.3Com.Com> ngg@bridge2.3Com.com (Norman Goodger) writes:
>Losing 8 hours of work sounds like something he deserved if you aks me.
>Anyone foolish enough to trust a computer not to destroy his work by
>NOT SAVING FREQUENTLY deserves what he gets...and it appears to me that
>this person who is blaming Microsoft for the problem he created...needs
>to learn how to use Command-S a little more often...
>just my opinion....

It MAY be your opinion, but you know littleof the situation.  The guy saved
the document pretty often.  What killed the document was a crash.  Word
crashed, and in the process, trashed the file.  If it just saved the old doc
to a temp file, and THEN wrote the new file, things would have worked out
perfectly...

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
| John A. Dutka  (jdutka)  | You've heard of the SI system of units, and the |
| WPI Box 2308		   | British system of units, well, now, we've got   |
| 100 Institute Road	   | the WPI System of Units (WSU).  More later.     |
| (508) 792-1949	   |   BITNET: jdutka@wpi.bitnet	             |
|                          | INTERNET: jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu                    |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (02/18/89)

In article <866@wpi.wpi.edu> jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) writes:
>It MAY be your opinion, but you know littleof the situation.  The guy saved
>the document pretty often.  What killed the document was a crash.  Word
>crashed, and in the process, trashed the file.  If it just saved the old doc
>to a temp file, and THEN wrote the new file, things would have worked out
>perfectly...

There is no guarantee that any file, specially if its a very large file
that it will save properly, I don't care what computer your running, if
this is the case where the save trashed the file when it crashed then
implies the other concepts of file security, ie if its VERY important,
and you cannot afford to lose it, back it up. Or do a save as to another
volume, that should protect your work. From the original posting it was
easy to assume that this person did none of the above, he was not saving
regularly, and created a very large file, and it was not backed up since
it was obviously important enough to create a major problem for him...
I think its logical to braek large documents into smaller documents, they
can be easier to deal with and manipulate then large ones and perhaps can
save one a real headache should something go wrong.... 15-20 pages should
be a easily manipulatable document, though I am not sure how large the
document that this person lost, though 8 hours of work would seem to indicate
that it was quite large....Perhaps Microsoft should include some computer
and docuement safety tips in its manuals...but that should not replace
common sense...

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.
Enterprise Systems Division             (I disclaim anything and everything)

lim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Kian-Tat Lim) (02/22/89)

It seems that everyone in this discussion is missing the "Make Backup" feature
of Word.  If you "Save As" with this option checked (it even shows up under
Short Menus), Word always keeps a backup copy of your document, even when
doing just "Save"s with command-S.  I've even deliberately rebooted the
computer during a save and been able to read the Backup of ... file.  Try
using the capabilities of the program before flaming.

--
Kian-Tat Lim (ktl@wagvax.caltech.edu, KTL @ CITCHEM.BITNET, GEnie: K.LIM1)

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (02/22/89)

In article <348@bridge2.3Com.Com> ngg@bridge2.3Com.com (Norman Goodger) writes:

>There is no guarantee that any file, specially if its a very large file
>that it will save properly, I don't care what computer your running, if
>this is the case where the save trashed the file when it crashed then
>implies the other concepts of file security, ie if its VERY important,
>and you cannot afford to lose it, back it up. Or do a save as to another
>volume, that should protect your work. From the original posting it was
>easy to assume that this person did none of the above, he was not saving
>regularly, and created a very large file, and it was not backed up since
>it was obviously important enough to create a major problem for him..

I think that you are suggesting that he didn't save all day until that one
last time. I don't think you can work on one Word document for more than
a few hours without filling up the edit buffer, at which point you start
getting messages from Word to close windows.

If he was doing straight input for eight hours and not making lots of changes
or making heavy use of the clipboard, he might have been able to work for
eight hours without saving.

I think the real safety tip you've offered here is alternate volume saves.
Perhaps you should keep a diskette in the drive and every hour or two, save
a copy of the document on a diskette as well as the regular (more frequent)
saves to the hard disk.

It's always a hard lesson when we first lose important work. In his case,
he may have been doing regular saves to the hard disk all day and it
was that final Save As, when he overwrote the single copy on the hard disk
that did him in.

>I think its logical to braek large documents into smaller documents, they
>can be easier to deal with and manipulate then large ones and perhaps can
>save one a real headache should something go wrong.... 15-20 pages should
>be a easily manipulatable document, though I am not sure how large the
>document that this person lost,

It's not very easy to break a single chapter of a book or manual into such
small documents. We regularly have 20-50 page chapters and do not run into
problems. I feel uncomfortable with anything much larger though.

>Perhaps Microsoft should include some computer
>and docuement safety tips in its manuals...but that should not replace
>common sense...

They do have several pages devoted to Long Documents (under that heading
in the encyclopedia-like manual). Basically the recommended maximum
length for one document is 250 printed pages (.5 million characters).
But they recommend breaking long documents up into smaller, more manageable
documents and linking them.

Shirley Kehr

tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) (02/22/89)

Just an update on the situation with Word. A while back I posted a message
which contained a rather lengthy letter I recieved from a friend regarding a
problem he had had with Word - He lost 8 hours of work after turning off fast
save (which he used frequently while writing), and saving the document under
multi-finder. He also had several problems with Microsoft's user support
service (i.e. they didn't know what to do, or have any suggestions). Well, we
got a letter the ofther day directly from Paul J. Davis, the program manager
for WORD for the Mac (Who said screaming bloody murder doesn't work?). He
didn't like how we flamed on word publicly. Fair enough. We're sorry, but if
MS's save procedure is the same as the one we've been discussing, then why the
heck didn't those temp files have a backup for the document? We (Jay and I)
set out to find the answer. Here are our discoveries.

WORD doesn't like it when you run 6.02 with MultiFinder and TOPS.  Period.
Through trial and error we discovered this, so be forewarned.  Microsoft -
take heed, and be sure that this incompatibility doesn't exist in 4.0, as this
combination of software is becoming more and more popular, judging from the
places I've worked over the summer, and the news I've recieved over the net.

Richard G. Brewer
Mechanical Engineer in the Making (1991)

+----------------------------+--------------+--------------------------+

pv9y@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (02/23/89)

In article <348@bridge2.3Com.Com> ngg@bridge2.3Com.com (Norman Goodger) writes:
>In article <866@wpi.wpi.edu> jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) writes:
>>It MAY be your opinion, but you know littleof the situation.  The guy saved
>>the document pretty often.  What killed the document was a crash.  Word
>>crashed, and in the process, trashed the file.  If it just saved the old doc
>>to a temp file, and THEN wrote the new file, things would have worked out
>>perfectly...

Of course if he'd been using WordPerfect, that program that all of you seem
to hate, he would have had the option of doing timed backups to a completely
different file, so even if the program does crash, as all do eventually, you
lose only a few minutes of work.  The timed backup to a separate file strikes
me as the safest method since I've lost a number of files to WriteNow when I
save and it runs out of space or crashes during the write, at which point
it has deleted the original file but not saved the new copy because of the
error.

I'll admit WordPerfect has its faults, but sticking with the Mac interface
isn't really the main one.  Word is equally, if not more so, off base when
it comes to standardization, and Word is the absolute worst program to
consult on since you have no way of figuring out why the program is doing
something odd.  With WordPerfect, the codes make it extremely clear (with
the exception of some order problems (ie which codes come first), which
no one has quite pinned down on the PC version - I've never run into it on
the Mac version) what is happening at all times.

Adam

cramer@athens.iex.com (Bill Cramer) (02/23/89)

In article [a whole bunch of 'em] ...

Well, I've watched this thread go long enough without inserting my own
two cents.  Everyone has their own opinion -- MS is to blame, Apple
is to blame, the original poster is to blame, the lords of Cobol are
to blame, ...

Speaking as someone who has a made a living (you call that living?)
writing a fair stack of books, specs, manuals, and the like, I can
unequivically say "doo doo happens".  My fault, your fault, nobody's
fault -- whether the trashed files come as a result of a bad program,
freak lightning, the washing machine entering the spin cycle, or my
own sloppiness ("whoa, lunchtime, let me just slam this file back out
to the disk under a new name and ... ARGH!") -- at some point you're
going to end up with "your life's work" sitting trapped in an
unreadable file.

Anyways, having been in the same boat as the original poster, I
can sympathize with his loss but not his whine.  It just does
not make any sense to have a single copy of any file that is in
a state of flux -- there are too many things that can go wrong.
The only **sane** approach is to save off the files incrementally
("mydoc at 10:00", "mydoc at 11:00", etc.)

Some systems will do this for you (PC Wordstar makes a *.bak file
for you, the DEC operating systems VMS and RSX both append version
numbers every time you save a file).  With MS Word, you'll have
to be a little bit conscientious (and conscious:-) when you save
your work (what's the cost of an extra floppy for all those backups
in comparison to eight hours of your time???).

Bottom line, if you expect the worst, then you'll be ready for it
with backups in hand; if you take the Pollyanna approach, then
you get what you pay for.  But don't whine on the net -- it's
demeaning to you and annoying for the rest of us.

Bill Cramer
IEX Corporation
{uunet,convex,killer}!iex!cramer

(The above opinions do not reflect those of IEX Corporation.  In
fact, 20 minutes from now they probably won't even reflect mine.)

carl@webster.sybase.com (Carl Resnikoff) (02/24/89)

In article <348@bridge2.3Com.Com> ngg@bridge2.3Com.com (Norman Goodger) writes:

>There is no guarantee that any file, specially if its a very large file
>that it will save properly, I don't care what computer your running,

"Real" operating systems, like VAX VMS, have transaction systems.
If your machine crashes/runs out disk space in the middle of a save,
you get your file in a consistant state, although it may not be the
most recent copy.  I understand the constraints of trying to
build a small, affordable machine, but I'll be glad when Apple
and other micros catch up to at least the 1970's in operating system technology.
	Carl
	sun!sybase!carl

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (03/01/89)

In article <962@wpi.wpi.edu> tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:

<WORD doesn't like it when you run 6.02 with MultiFinder and TOPS.  Period.
<Through trial and error we discovered this, so be forewarned.  Microsoft -
<take heed, and be sure that this incompatibility doesn't exist in 4.0, as this
<combination of software is becoming more and more popular, judging from the
<places I've worked over the summer, and the news I've recieved over the net.

What happens? We just upgraded all machines to 6.02 and some people have
already been running Word 3.02 with TOPS for some time. I'm one of the
few who refuses to use TOPS, so I can't test anything.

Shirley Kehr

rusty@hodge.UUCP ( System Manager) (03/02/89)

In article <962@wpi.wpi.edu>, tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:
> WORD doesn't like it when you run 6.02 with MultiFinder and TOPS.  Period.
> Through trial and error we discovered this, so be forewarned.  Microsoft -
> take heed, and be sure that this incompatibility doesn't exist in 4.0, as this
> combination of software is becoming more and more popular, judging from the
> places I've worked over the summer, and the news I've recieved over the net.

Oh really?  Specifically, how?  I've used this combination (6.1/6.0.2)
with Tops 2.0 as well as 2.1, and have had no obvious problems.

Can you be more specific?

I just finished a 200 page document that had many chapters created
either in Word on MS-DOS or Wordstar, imported them into the Mac, and
used Tops to do it.  No problems.  (Well, other than what Word always
has after complex editing sessions with a 400k file with lots of
embedded graphics).

--

Rusty "No Bugs" Hodge, 1588 N. Batavia St. Orange, CA 92667 Tel (714) 974-6300
rusty@hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz vdelta crash]!hodge!rusty FAX (714) 921-8038

mdh@srhqla.UUCP (Matt Hardin) (03/02/89)

In article <84864@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
>In article <962@wpi.wpi.edu> tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:
>
><WORD doesn't like it when you run 6.02 with MultiFinder and TOPS.  Period.
>
>What happens? We just upgraded all machines to 6.02 and some people have
>already been running Word 3.02 with TOPS for some time. I'm one of the
>few who refuses to use TOPS, so I can't test anything.
>
>Shirley Kehr

We just moved from the Omninet networking system to Appletalk/Appleshare.
We're using CAP on a Pyramid 9825 as the file server until Cayman works the
bugs out of their AFP-NFS translation stuff (it's O.K., we always break
things - even thoroughly debugged software!). MS Word (3.02 no less)
occasionally munches files as they are being saved and crashes while
exiting with or without saving changes...

I've warned our Word users to save alternately to two files using SAVE AS
but (sigh) they don't always do that and then they come complaining to me.
We're using system 6.0.2 and Appleshare, and I am concerned about the sudden
problems we are having with Word - especially in light of the recent change
to Appleshare.

I have been watching the articles that have been posted (thanks all!) and I
am wondering if Word has a problem dealing with networks under 6.0.2, or
what??? No other applications we use are giving us this kind of grief.

I am aware of a bug in CAP50 which could explain some of the file munching,
but not the frequent crashing. In any case, I'll withhold final judgement
on the viability of Word as our word processor of choice until I get the
CAP patches and install them.

I would like to hear from other users of MS Word using Appleshare/CAP, and,
please the deity, maybe even from Microsoft.

				Matt Hardin
				SilentRadio Headquarters, Los Angeles
				UUCP: {csun,pyramid,pcabell}!srhqla!mdh
				Smart mailers use: mdh@srhqla.UUCP