[comp.sys.mac] Memory Chip War

hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (02/23/89)

Has it started yet?  Since it was before my time, how cheap did memory chips
(SIMMS) get before it got expensive.  There is an ad from The Chip Merchant
for $195 per SIMM.  I know it's cheap but is it really?  Should I wait?
Will it get better?  Let the war begin!

The Chip Merchant can be reached at 619-268-4774
BTW: I don't know them and do not work for them.  But if I did, I bet I can
really get some cheap chips.

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT

malczews@castor.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (02/23/89)

Well, back in the olden days even, $195/M was a real good price for chips.

  -- Frank Malczewski

sd5y@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (02/25/89)

In article <2806@nunki.usc.edu> malczews@castor.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) writes:
>Well, back in the olden days even, $195/M was a real good price for chips.
>
>  -- Frank Malczewski

The lowest prices were around that price indead, but that was for low profile
chips.  The ones from "the chip merchand" are high profile I think.  So there
is still about a $30 dollars difference.  I would wait a little longer and see

----------------
Alain Dumesny
Cornell University

sd5y@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (02/27/89)

In article <504@salgado.stan.UUCP> dce@salgado.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:

>A related subject:  SE owners have it a lot easier in terms of
>upgrades, since they only have to modify two SIMM slots.  Are the Macs
>of the future going to go back to this configuration?  As it stands,
>
>David Elliott		...!pyramid!boulder!stan!dce
>"Splish splash, I was rakin' in the cash"  -- Eno

Not if they are going to use the 68030 (or 020) which seems to be the case.
(SE/30, macIIcx,...).
You have to upgrade your macIIs or SE/30 using 4 simms because they are true
32 bit machines (each simms have normally 8 chips (sometimes 9 but parity
checking isn't used on the mac), so you need 4 simms = 32 chips (1 chip per
bit is required for interleave memory)).
So expect in the futur to be the same as the current macIIs are (unless they
come with a low cost 68000....)

Alain Dumesny---

hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (Harold Wong) (02/28/89)

In article <18031@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> awzy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Alain Dumesny) writes:
>The lowest prices were around that price indead, but that was for low profile
>chips.  The ones from "the chip merchand" are high profile I think.  So there
>is still about a $30 dollars difference.  I would wait a little longer and see

I just spoke to then, the chips are indeed low profile.  Let the war begin.

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT

melby@s.cs.uiuc.edu (03/03/89)

I talked to some people about SIMMs while I was in Japan - apparently they
are relatively cheap if ordered from Taiwan in quantities of several
thousand.  Of course, there is a huge demand for them.  Besides, the
importation of most Taiwanese SIMMs into the U.S. is probably illegal.