[comp.sys.mac] Mac Security

boris@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Boris Altman) (05/05/88)

We are looking for some method to secure data on hard disks
in 2 different situation: 1. when you leave your office for a while;
2. Overnight.
The ideal solution would be for (1) is something that you could just type
a password (no incription) and leave. For (2) we would need something
that would not mount the hard disk until the password is given.
To solve (2) Nightwatch from Kent Marsh comes close, but
having to insert a disk every time you reboot is not great.
I also investigated MacSafe, Sentinel, Ncriptor. They all have drawbacks.
It is either time consuming, or every time you create a new file
you need to put it in the set.
 I also just heard of Disklock DA. I would appreciate any info about it.
Shareware HDPassword is of no use since if you boot from a floppy,
you can do anything you want with the hard disk w/o password.
Does anything exist that would solve either or both problems?
What do people use in office environment? Any advice would be grately
appreciated.
		Boris Altman
		{ihnp4,ucbvax}!ulysses!boris

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (05/06/88)

in article <10279@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, boris@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Boris Altman) says:

> We are looking for some method to secure data on hard disks
> in 2 different situation: 1. when you leave your office for a while;
> 2. Overnight.

Please post a summary of what you find out. I'm currently looking
for *exactly* the same thing. NightWatch, MacSafe, and Sentinel were
the only ones I have found so far and none is ideal.

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

jts@demon.siemens-rtl (Jim Sasaki) (05/06/88)

  (Boris Altman) writes:

> We are looking for some method to secure data on hard disks ....
> For [overnight protection] we would need something that would not mount the
> hard disk until the password is given....

You might try SilverLining by LaCie.  It allows you to password-protect a hard
disk.  (It prevents you from mounting the disk until you enter the password.)
You can't circumvent this by booting from a floppy.

It also comes with a utility that lets you partition your disk into separate
logical volumes.  Different volumes can have different (or no) passwords.
The utility also lets you specify which (if any) volumes are to be mounted at
boot time.  A desk accessory lets you mount volumes while you're in an
application.  (So if you want, you can drag a non-boot volume to the finder,
get a cup of coffee, come back, and use the desk accessory to remount the
volume.)

Just a satisified customer, etc.

    -- Jim Sasaki (jts%siemens.com@princton.edu)
--------------------
Any opinions above are my own, and not necessarily those of Siemens RTL, for
whom I consult.

april@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (April J. Weisman) (05/08/88)

In article <10279@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> boris@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Boris Altman) writes:
>We are looking for some method to secure data on hard disks
>in 2 different situation: 1. when you leave your office for a while;
[text deleted]
>The ideal solution would be for (1) is something that you could just type
>a password (no incription) and leave.

There is a DA I have seen that does this called LockOUT.  It brings up
a screen over the one that is there, you enter a password, and then until
the password is reentered, the LockOUT screen stays up and the
stuff behind it cannot be accessed.  Of course I'm sure you can always
turn off the computer, but for a limited purposed like the one stated
above, this seems like a reasonable solution.

-April

(This is my first posting, hope I did everything right!  :)

April J. Weisman     |"The big picture: 12 credits.|april@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
HB 390 Dartmouth Clg |It's very big.  12 credits   |{decvax ihnp4 harvard}...
Hanover NH, 03755    |probably isn't enough, it's  |   ...!dartvax!eleazar!april
 603-643-7727        |so big!" -Dr.Wolper, Creator |Disclaimer: Opinion?  Me?

steele@unc.cs.unc.edu (Oliver Steele) (05/08/88)

boris@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Boris Altman) writes:
>We are looking for some method to secure data on hard disks
>in 2 different situation: 1. when you leave your office for a while;
>2. Overnight.

There's a device that clamps over your power switch and/or the mouth of
your floppy drive advertised on the inside back cover of the May MacWorld
(I think; sorry: I don't have a copy).  This looked moderately secure --
you'd have to pick a lock to get at the data, same as a filing cabinet
or desk drawer -- and, being a programmer, I don't trust software
solutions to encryption that aren't moderately time-consuming and don't
require at least some human intervention to lock/unlock your files.

If you still want to go with software, however, take a look at SuperMac's
Sentinel.  DES encryption (which is probably overkill but definitely
secure), and their own faster supposedly-secure version of DES.

 Oliver Steele					  ...!decnet!mcnc!unc!steele
 UNC-CH							   steele@cs.unc.edu

 "We made it structured, and now it doesn't work." -- Brice Tebbs

g556871349ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000006358;0;745;352;) (05/14/88)

I whole-heartedly recommend Hard Disk Partition for most security needs.
To access files, it takes only a couple of selections in a DA. There is
also password protection and read-only protection. There is additional
security from creating several partitions for different usage levels.
The partitions also make it easier for me to do backups since all
modifications are likely to be in the partitions created for data
storage. I've probed for loopholes using ResEdit, etc.., to make sure
the protection is foolproof, and so far, I have had no problems.r
Disclaimer: the views expressed herein are my own.

barrys@Apple.COM (Barry Semo) (05/16/88)

A recent posting described the merits of Hard Disk Partition.  It claimed
its security was foolproof.

MacZap will read HD-Partition files effortlessly and recover all files
within it, password or no password.  I had the pleasure of finding this
out when my hard disc crashed.  Hope this helps.
Barry
barrys@apple.com

Angelo_C_Micheletti@cup.portal.com (05/23/88)

There is a product called "MASC" from Creativity Plus Software
which is designed to provide encryption security without a lot
of overhead.  It runs on all Macs, with any HD's, runs under
MultiFinder, is efficient, unconditionally secure, and inexpensive.
CPS can be reached at 415-631-0883, or AppleLink (D1680), or
CompuServe (71101,1557)

walt@sixwbn.UUCP (Walt Novinger) (02/27/89)

A friend needs a method to protect a sensitive database from his
employees and others.  He's using FileMaker II, and wants the following
capabilities:

	1) Limit the ability to print database records to only
	   those individuals who have the password necessary to
	   activate the printing function.  This would probably be
	   some installed(able) function of FileMaker II.

	2) Have the ability to somehow protect a file on the hard disk
	   from being copied to floppies. I have already tried setting
	   the "No Copy" attribute (using DiskTools II) -- this
	   doesn't seem to do the trick, as the file can still be
	   dragged to a floppy.

If any netters out there have suggestions for ways to protect
database information (short of switching to another database program
(:)), we'd be happy to hear about them.  Please email to the return
address -- if there's sufficient response, I'll summarize and post the
results.
Walt Novinger          | ...!sun!plx!walt             |
Plexus Computers, Inc. | ...!sun!sgi!sixwbn!walt      | No more goodness can be
3833 N. First St.      |------------------------------|   attempted than the
San Jose, CA 95134     | Disclaimer: You mean my      |     people can bear.
408-943-2406 (w)       |   boss might read this?      |    Thomas Jefferson
415-964-9377 (h)       | Nah - he forgot his password!|

md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) (03/01/89)

Keep your data on a floppy.
If you are really paranoid, put the floppy in a strongbox.

The Weesh
Carnegie Mellon
md32@andrew.cmu.edu
md32@andrew.bitnet

a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz (Andy Dent, ph: 09 380 2620) (03/04/89)

In article <136@sixwbn.UUCP>, walt@sixwbn.UUCP (Walt Novinger) writes:

>A friend needs a method to protect a sensitive database ...
>	1) Limit the ability to print database records to only
	   those individuals who have the password ...

>	2) Have the ability to somehow protect a file on the hard disk
>	   from being copied to floppies.

At least the protection could be achieved using Symantec Tools' HD Partition
tool to setup an encrypted partition.  I don't know enough about Filemaker
to help with the printing.  If the printing is accomplished by some sort of
command or script file that is stored external to the database, then control
over the printing process could be achieved by creating a second protected
partition and putting the script file in that - accessible by another
password.