[comp.sys.mac] help needed to transfer file from IBM disk file to Mac

gapp@pur-ee.UUCP (GAPP Research) (03/02/89)

Cheer,

     I am a new Mac user, so please forgive me if this problem is been asked
before.

     I have a text file at IBM PC. I want to transfer it to a MacII that I
got recently. I used the given program "disk file exchange" came with the
system. It worked all right. But my problem is that the new file I got ( at
the Mac ) has a square box in the first column of every line. I can use the
editor to delete it manually, but that's dumb.

     Is there anything I did wrong? Or is there any way that I can filter
these square out from the file?

     Please e-mail me. I am not a subscriber to this group.

     Thanks a lot in advance.

Aynang Yang
aynang@ecn.purdue.edu

tempest@csuchico.EDU (Kenneth Lui) (03/04/89)

In article <10872@pur-ee.UUCP> aynang@ed.ecn.purdue.edu (Yang Aynang) writes:
>Cheer,
>
>... But my problem is that the new file I got ( at
>the Mac ) has a square box in the first column of every line. I can use the
>editor to delete it manually, but that's dumb.

They are caused by the MS-DOS's convention of using CR-LFs to separate
lines, unlike Apple's convention of just CRs. You can select change CR-LF
to just CR when within Apple File Exchange. It is on the menu labeled
either: IBM<->Mac or Mac<->IBM...depending on which way you wish to
transfer. Choose Text translation, and you'll get a dialog box along with a
whole mess of other things you can do.

Ken
tempest@csuchico.EDU