[comp.sys.mac] New Virus Rx 1.4: it's really 1.4a2 again

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (03/02/89)

In article <5972@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>Does anyone (especially within the "priviledged" part of Apple) have a copy
>of Virus Rx 1.4 that they could post to comp.binaries.mac?  I read the
>announcement on AppleLink yesterday that the new 1.4 is available.

Sure enough, the announcement is there.  It directs you to look in the
Technical Info library for the "new" Virus Rx.  What's there, however,
is Virus Rx 1.4a2, the same one that's been available for a month and
a half.  The only difference that I could find is that it's not
labelled as such in the library -- you have to download it to find out
that it's the same old thing.

Ephraim Vishniac  /  Internet: ephraim@think.com  / AppleLink: ThinkingCorp
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

	"Arlo Guthrie, it seems, has found what he was looking for:
		God, and the Macintosh." (Boston Globe)

newsuser@LTH.Se (LTH network news server) (03/05/89)

In article <36906@think.UUCP> ephraim@think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) writes:
>In article <5972@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>>Does anyone (especially within the "priviledged" part of Apple) have a copy
>>of Virus Rx 1.4 that they could post to comp.binaries.mac?  I read the
>>announcement on AppleLink yesterday that the new 1.4 is available.
>
>Sure enough, the announcement is there.  It directs you to look in the
>Technical Info library for the "new" Virus Rx.  What's there, however,
>is Virus Rx 1.4a2, the same one that's been available for a month and
>a half.  The only difference that I could find is that it's not
>labelled as such in the library -- you have to download it to find out
>that it's the same old thing.

That's correct. I checked AppleLink yesterday, and found Virus Rx on three
places. One was labelled 1.4a1, one 1.4a2 and the last one (in the Technical
Info Library) was just called 'Untitled' (what a user friendly name :-)).

Please Apple, always include version numbers on applications. I wonder
how many people downloaded the 'Untitled' Virus Rx just to see that it was
the old version. The Press Release, dated Feb 22, said
   bulletin boards, and in the Technical Info library on AppleLink."

--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52