[comp.sys.mac] Getting PostScript from MacDraw

royt@pravda.gatech.edu (Roy M Turner) (03/05/89)

I posted this earlier, but it didn't seem to make it to the net.  Anyway...

I need to get MacDraw or MacDrawII to dump PostScript files so I can
include them in TeX files on a Unix host.  I know that command-F and
command-K are supposed to work---HOWEVER, our Macs are networked
together and use a fileserver and common spooler for the laserwriter,
and that somehow screws up command-F/K.  I get a message saying
something like "printing could not be completed."

Is there any program, either for the Mac or for Unix, that can take a
file that contains a MacDraw/MacDraw II document and spit out the
PostScript?  This would save me a huge amount of time either
cutting-and-pasting or tracking down a Mac that I *can* get PostScript from.

	Thanks.
	Roy
Roy Turner
AI Group, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
Internet:   royt@pravda.ics.gatech.edu or royt@gatech.edu
uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,rutgers,seismo}!gatech!royt
--

ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) (03/05/89)

In article <ROYT.89Mar4134505@pravda.gatech.edu> royt@pravda.gatech.edu (Roy M Turner) writes:
>I know that command-F and
>command-K are supposed to work---HOWEVER, our Macs are networked
>together and use a fileserver and common spooler for the laserwriter,
>and that somehow screws up command-F/K.  I get a message saying
>something like "printing could not be completed."

   The cmd-F (yea, I know you don't need the "cmd") works even if you're
not connected to a real network. I have made some PS-files on my Mac at
home in this way. Use an "initiated" Startupdisk with AppleTalk and LW-files,
just set AppleTalk to active in the Chooser dialog box.
   By "initiated" I mean "been used for printing in a network before". My
suggestion is: get a StartUp disk that supports the PS-interception (F or K).
Disconnect your Mac from the network, domenu "Print", click "OK" and type
"cmd-F _before_ the Mac starts to "Looking for laserwriter NN".
   I hope it helps.

             /Olle