[comp.sys.mac] Anyone seen the game Tetris?

cooper@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Ken Cooper) (02/16/89)

I have several friends who have become addicted to a game called Tetris
that is available on both PC clones and as an X client on Unix machines.
I'm feeling shamed that I can't offer them the same solution on the Mac.
Does anyone know of a PD version of Tetris available for the Mac?

In case you don't know the name, but know the software, it's a game of
spacial orientation in which the machine drops shaped objects down from
the top of your screen, while you race to place them on the pattern of
objects that have accumulated across the bottom.  When you get a row
completed (i.e. filled all the way across the bottom), that row disappears,
allowing you more time to react to new object coming down.

Anyone heard of such a beast?

Ken Cooper

paul@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Paul Meyer) (02/16/89)

In article <430036@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM> cooper@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Ken Cooper) writes:
>I have several friends who have become addicted to a game called Tetris
>Does anyone know of a PD version of Tetris available for the Mac?

	Tetris is available for the mac.  I've seen advertising for it in
the main Mac mags, so you should be able to find it.  I don't remember the
publisher.  It is NOT PD, at least this version isn't.  It's a great game,
with variable speeds, etc, and background music.  The greatest feature of
all is that it comes with a fully functional DA version (sans music).  Great
for playing while I'm downloading in the background (I was amazed: downloading
with zterm from my Vax wasn't even slowed down by my playing the Tetris DA)

--
Paul Meyer
paul@caf.mit.edu

dave@emerald.PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (02/17/89)

In article <430036@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM> cooper@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Ken Cooper) writes:
>I have several friends who have become addicted to a game called Tetris
>that is available on both PC clones and as an X client on Unix machines.
>I'm feeling shamed that I can't offer them the same solution on the Mac.
>Does anyone know of a PD version of Tetris available for the Mac?

Sure, Tetris exists on the Mac--"available at fine software stores
everywhere," for instance, MacConnection.

It isn't PD.

Did you have some reason to suppose there is a PD version on IBM & clones?

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Standard disclaimer:  Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my
   employer is strictly coincidental.

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (02/17/89)

In article <430036@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM> cooper@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Ken Cooper) writes:
>I have several friends who have become addicted to a game called Tetris
>that is available on both PC clones and as an X client on Unix machines.
>I'm feeling shamed that I can't offer them the same solution on the Mac.
>Does anyone know of a PD version of Tetris available for the Mac?

	It's not public-domain, but there is a Mac version of Tetris; it
runs both as an application and as a desk accessory. It's sold by Spectrum
Holobyte, the same folks who did Gato and the F-16 simulator.

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) (02/17/89)

Tetris is availible for the Mac it comes with the stand-alone program and a DA
version. There is also a Color version for the Mac II. However, it is not PD.
Tetris is produced on the Mac by Spectrum Holobyte 2061 Challenger Drive,
Alameda, CA 94501. (415) 522-3584. If you call them I'm sure they would be more
than happy to tell you where you could buy it in your area.

I don't work for them, I just enjoy their games. Also check out Solitare Royal
by them, the color version is great.

rob snevely

rdsesq@jessica.stanford.edu

Uses
  disclaimer.p

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) (02/17/89)

In article <430036@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM> cooper@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Ken Cooper) writes:
>I have several friends who have become addicted to a game called Tetris
>that is available on both PC clones and as an X client on Unix machines.
>I'm feeling shamed that I can't offer them the same solution on the Mac.
>Does anyone know of a PD version of Tetris available for the Mac?
>
> [Some descriptions of the game deleted...]
>
>Anyone heard of such a beast?
>
>Ken Cooper

Tetris is available for the Mac, published by Spectrum Holobyte.  It
has an SE/Plus/512KE version and a Mac II color version.  I remember
that someone complained on the net that neither of these versions
work with MAC II with MONOCHROME moniter.  It's a great game with nice
digitized sounds and GRAPHICS !  It also includes a DA version of the
game.  It is available for between 20 and 30 dollars from mail-order
places like MacConnection.

Unfortunately, it it NOT PD/shareware.

Xiaoxia  Ye          INTERNET/BITNET/UUCP: xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Dartmouth College    For more info: finger xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) (02/17/89)

I've seen it (at ComputerWare I think), but it's not PD.

-Ted

lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) (02/17/89)

In article <1197@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel)
writes:
>         It's not public-domain, but there is a Mac version of Tetris; it
> runs both as an application and as a desk accessory. It's sold by
Spectrum

This applies only to the B&W version.  There is also a Mac II version,
which costs a bit more and only works on a Mac II with the monitor set to
256 colors.  (I have heard that is is possible to patch the program to
work with 16 colors.) This version doesn't include the DA, or a B&W
version.

Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

Internet: lsr@Apple.com   UUCP: {nsc, sun}!apple!lsr
AppleLink: Rosenstein1

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (02/17/89)

I would be surprised if Tetris was public domain on ANY machine.  This
game was developed in Russia for PC's, and licensed to an american
software company.  There were dozens of news stories about America
having to buy Russian software, when it was released.  I think the
game is wonderful.

But if you are playing a "public domain" PC version, perhaps it is
pirated and you should get rid of it.....

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (02/17/89)

In article <430036@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM> cooper@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Ken Cooper) writes:
<I have several friends who have become addicted to a game called Tetris
<that is available on both PC clones and as an X client on Unix machines.
<I'm feeling shamed that I can't offer them the same solution on the Mac.
<Does anyone know of a PD version of Tetris available for the Mac?

It's at MacWarehouse and MacConnection. The Mac II version ($24) is in color
and works only on the Mac II. I bought the regular version ($20) and in
two weeks have managed to become semi-addicted. Guess what I did first on
my new SE/30?

By the way, since the Mac II at work does not use color, I saw no reason to
buy that version. The regular version works just fine on my large screen
monochrome monitor.

Shirley Kehr

P.S. Thanks for telling me it's available on the PC. Maybe it will
brighten the day for some of my friends.

emb90619@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/18/89)

I won't parrot what everyone else has said by telling you that Tetris for
the Mac is not PD and is published by Spectrum Holobyte.  To do so would
be both redundant and a waste of both our times.  What I will say is that
Tetris is one of the better (or best as you may prefer) games available
for the Mac.  I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to lose sleep, avoid
work, or in any other way become so involved in an incredibly addicting
experience.  You have been warned :-)

bob@aecom.YU.EDU (Bob Lummis) (02/18/89)

In article <430036@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM>, cooper@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Ken Cooper) writes:
> I have several friends who have become addicted to a game called Tetris
> that is available on both PC clones and as an X client on Unix machines.
> I'm feeling shamed that I can't offer them the same solution on the Mac.
> Does anyone know of a PD version of Tetris available for the Mac?

Tetris is commonly available for the MAC in computer stores in New York.  It
costs around $35.  It is addicting for a while, but seems to have a hard upper
limit to how high your score can get and after that there is nothing more to
learn.
--
Robert C. Lummis, Director of Scientific Computing
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, N.Y.

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (02/18/89)

In article <430036@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM> cooper@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Ken Cooper) writes:
>I have several friends who have become addicted to a game called Tetris
>that is available on both PC clones and as an X client on Unix machines.
>I'm feeling shamed that I can't offer them the same solution on the Mac.
>Does anyone know of a PD version of Tetris available for the Mac?
>Ken Cooper

Ken, there are 2 versions of Tetris available for the Mac, one is B&W for
all Mac's, and then there is a full color version for the mac II available
from most Mac stores and mail order I would assume...Its distributed by
Spectrum Holobyte, I think the B&W version is about $25 and the Color version
is $35 this is not retail pricing, retail is probably more like $39 & $49
respectively....good game...but not PD....

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

avalon@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Scott A. McIntyre) (02/19/89)

+-In article <2108@aecom.YU.EDU>, bob@aecom.YU.EDU (Bob Lummis) wrote:-
+----------
|In article <long number here>, cooper@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Ken Cooper) writes:
|| I have several friends who have become addicted to a game called Tetris
|| that is available on both PC clones and as an X client on Unix machines.
|| I'm feeling shamed that I can't offer them the same solution on the Mac.
|| Does anyone know of a PD version of Tetris available for the Mac?
|
|Tetris is commonly available for the MAC in computer stores in New York.  It
|costs around $35.  It is addicting for a while, but seems to have a hard upper
|limit to how high your score can get and after that there is nothing more to
|learn.
|--
|Robert C. Lummis, Director of Scientific Computing
+----------

A friend of mine wrote a UNIX version..Im not sure of the copyright info,
so I'll ask him.....if there is sufficient interest, Ill try to convince him
to post it somehwere.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
|		avalon@ssyx.ucsc.edu		ARPA/Internet \		   |
|		ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!avalon	    UUCP       > Me!	   |
|		avalon@ucsck.BITNET 	   	    Bitnet    /		   |

dcc@hpcldcc.HP.COM (Don Cameron) (02/22/89)

> ...What I will say is that
> Tetris is one of the better (or best as you may prefer) games available
> for the Mac.  I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to lose sleep, avoid
> work, or in any other way become so involved in an incredibly addicting
> experience.  You have been warned :-)

I occasionally come across articles about the effects of working
with VDT's, and one of the points often mentioned is that users tend not
to blink often enough, consequently causing eye irritation.  I've been
using computer screens for better than 10 years (before that I was
punching IBM cards), but it wasn't until I got Tetris for my Mac that I
understood what 'dry eyeballs' were all about.  It's remarkable how I
can be so engrossed in a game as to be unconscious of all messages of
physical discomfort (indeed, are any messages even being transmitted during
such intense concentration?); then when the game ends I suddenly realize
that I haven't been blinking enough, or at all.

So, yes, Tetris is absorbing and addictive.  But I concur with an earlier
poster who noted that one eventually reaches a plateau.

BTW, try turning the keyboard repeat rate up when you play Tetris.  You'll
find it useful.

Don Cameron { hplabs!hpda!dcc }         | In the Heart of Silicon Valley, one
Hewlett-Packard California Language Lab | of the Earth's Foremost Consumers
Cupertino, CA				| of Pocket Protectors

#include <clever_disclaimer.h>

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (02/23/89)

In article <9269@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@emerald.PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:

>It isn't PD.
>
>Did you have some reason to suppose there is a PD version on IBM & clones?

I would be surprised if there isn't a Tetris clone for peecees and macs
by now, since it's an awfully simple little game.

There are at least 2 clones (Tetrix and Tertis) for the amiga floating
around.

-scott

danny@garnet.berkeley.edu (Danny Lee) (02/23/89)

In article <450004@hpcldcc.HP.COM> dcc@hpcldcc.HP.COM (Don Cameron) writes:
>So, yes, Tetris is absorbing and addictive.  But I concur with an earlier

	My roomate points out that this could just be a Communist plot
to distract us :^) !!!!!!

nulakema@ndsuvax.UUCP (Brian Lakeman) (02/25/89)

Umm

  I was wondering if the Unix source was available for Tetris, and if it is,
where can I get it?

-Brian Lakeman
nulakeman@ndsuvax
nulakeman@plains.nodak.edu

mbk@hpsemc.HP.COM (Miles Kehoe) (03/04/89)

re: Tetris on the PC and Mac:

1. Isn't it funny that a system which cannot legally be sold in
   Soviet block countries has a popular game originally written
   in Russia for it?

2. The IBM version has a nice feature I have not found on the
   mac version: the 'boss key'.  At the press of the ESC key,
   your screen turns into a DOS prompt or a Lotus style spread
   sheet.

3. The PC version has no music, which is part of the calming
   effect I find when playing the Mac version.

4. I have a copy of an X.11 version of a Tetris-like game
   somewhere in my directory. I'll see if I can find it and
    put it somewhere public.

5. I've mused with the idea that this may be a way to reduce
   the effectiveness of US programmers everywhere - but then
   decided that the last thing the Soviets want is less effective
   software engineers here - how else would they get any work
   done without code?

mbk

dcc@hpcldcc.HP.COM (Don Cameron) (03/05/89)

mbk@hpsemc.HP.COM (Miles Kehoe) writes:

>3. The PC version has no music, which is part of the calming
>   effect I find when playing the Mac version.

For me the most notable musical effect is the near-manic increase in tempo and
energy when the game increases the difficulty level.  As if changing the level
alone wasn't enough, one gets over-hyped from musical intensity.  (Yeah, this
is CALMING, all right ... another few cups of coffee, and I'm going to blow
this game away .. 1/2 8-).

Don Cameron { hplabs!hpda!dcc }         | From the Heart of Silicon Valley,
Hewlett-Packard California Language Lab | the Earth's Foremost Consumer of
Cupertino, CA				| Pocket Protectors

#include <clever_disclaimer.h>

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (03/07/89)

Miles, About Macs in the Soviet Union. Next time you have a chance to chat
with Gorbachav, ask him what computer he uses.  I believe he would answer,
"Macintosh, what else." It is my understanding that Apple got permission
from the Dept of Commerce, & Dept of Defense to export a couple of SEs to
Gorbachav and one or two other high ranking Soviets.

Why, ? it may have to do with a bumper sticker I saw the other day on the
back of a car turning into an Apple parking lot "Macintosh, changing the
world on person at a time"

Maybe he & Bush can sit down with a copy of Balance of Power.

TeriAnn