[comp.sys.mac] One more time

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (03/01/89)

In article <928@stech.UUCP>, sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
> in article <84702@felix.UUCP>, kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) says:

> > In article <1154@bub.sdl.UUCP> lad@sdl.UUCP (Lawrence A. Deleski) writes:

> >> but there is nothing wrong with posting macs for sale in comp.sys.mac.
> >> How about it netters, wanna vote on this?

	I asume you are being rethoric here;  if you want to call for a vote
	on the purpose of a group, you do that by , at least, cross-posting
	in group news.groups.

	Calling for a vote in a followup article like yours reaches only
	the "hardcore" news-junkies (and folks with an axe to grind in this
	topic) - anyone who is bothered by for-sale articles and who has
	any sense is trying hard to ignore this discussion thread.
	calling for a vote in an article in this thread, is like asking
	on skid-row who is for "free needles" - news junkies should not
	try to redefine the purpose of news-groups and make it even
	harder for the busy majority to keep track and in touch with technical
	issues.

	discussions were held way back, and misc.for-sale was created
	as an outlet for the MINORITY who would insist to abuse this
	media for commercial activities and to do so without even restricting
	the distribution area of their articles (carelessly and through
	ignorance, I don't know what is worse)

> > Yes. I'd rather see Macs for sale here too. That way I don't have to read
> > about PC's and other stuff that I couldn't imagine using in any current
> > machine.

	look, this is ridiculous. read the classifieds in your local
	news-paper, read the bulletin board in your computer store,
	read a local BBS-system.  Because, let me tell you, there are
	a lot better bargains to be found there!!!  From the articles I
	have seen here, the majority of for-sale articles are priced in
	a way that have me convinced that the poster is not limiting the
	distribution simple to be able to reach a larger pool of FOOLS -
	and I consider that DOUBLE abuse of this communication channel
	provided courtesy of someone else's wallet!!

	I suspect, some of you might even be under the impression that the
	for-sale articles will give you a "feel" of the used-equipment
	market:  WRONG, not the articles on this network.

	the fact is that most netters, at any given time, are not in the
	market for used equipment, and if they are they should be interested
	in learning about equipment for-sale "IN DRIVING DISTANCE!!", not
	half-way around the globe.  (in case you didn't notice, you folks,
	carelessly, ignored my remark that I have little problem with for-sale
	articles posted to comp.sys.mac with distribution limited to an
	area the seller/buyer is willing to travel by car for a demo:

> > Has anyone read misc.forsale lately? I posted a PC for sale there
> > and not only have I not had any replies, I haven't even seen a complaint
> > about the price. I wonder if anyone reads misc.forsale unless they have
> > something to sell.

	the message you should have gotten is (and a little investigation
	might have led you to it) that commercial gain messages are against
	the rules of the game and are, explicitly, disallowed at many of
	the major backbone sites.  That the net-gods, in their wisdom and
	knowing that there are always bozos who will disregard the wishes
	of the ones paying the bills, and who will insist that they deserve
	a forum to do with as they please in their little corner of the net
	where they pay the bills, well, the gods decided to create a top
	level msg-class "misc" and below it "misc.for-sale", thus making it
	possible for those companies who choose not to support for-sale
	articles, to simply not propagate a whole class of messages.

	you NEARLY got the right message when you wonder if it could be
	that the only ones who care are the ones that happen to want to
	sell something.

	you folks remind me of the telephone and door-to-door solicitors
	who act surprised when I tell them that they are abusing my time
	and the priviledge of ringing a person's doorbell and telephone.
	they say:  "but, but, there are people who buy things" (hinting, of
	course, at what a wonderful bargain they have, rather than that
	ringing enough doors you can always find a sucker, eventually).

	so, to conclude, that because posting to misc.for-sale doesn't
	work, but posting to comp.sys.mac led to a sale, ergo posting
	for-sale articles to comp.sys.mac is both accepted and effective
	is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG !!!  you abuse the privilege of having your
	articles to comp.sys.mac broadcasted by those sites trusting that
	you will not abuse it with commercial gains articles, and you are
	showing no concern and understanding of the nuisance you are to
	most people by sprinkling your commercial into the middle of a
	technical discussion forum.  In addition, you have no insight and
	foresight in that if we'd all use this medium for our personal
	advertisements, it would soon come to a screaching halt.  Just
	imagine, all your dear neighbors coming by and ringing your doorbell
	every weekend to tell you:  "can I just have 30 seconds of your
	time to tell you about the garage-sale I'm holding?  but if you
	are not interested, just use 2 seconds to say NO, and I'll be
	on my way..."

	lovely concept, isn't it ?!?!  especially if it's not just your
	neighbor but THE WHOLE FREAKING WORLD that knocks on your electronic
	door .... plus, you end up paying for the phone-call !!!

> I agree that sales notices of Mac-related things should go in comp.sys.mac.
> It's where we all look. Personally, I think that the people who post
> used machine sales are doing us all a service. I don't mind it one bit.

	OH, brother, "doing us a service" - what a concept.  maybe we should
	all type in the contents of the computer section of the local
	classifieds and post them (mail them to you ???....)

	"It's where we all look" - really.  why don't you look into reading
	the periodically posted articles explaining netiquette to new users?
	just maybe it contains a section on "for-sale" and commercial gains
	news-articles ...

--
      ----------->   PREFERED RETURN-ADDRESS FOLLOWS   <--------------

  (ARPA)    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)
  (UUCP)    ..!utastro!werner   or  ..!uunet!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (03/02/89)

In article <3672@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:

>	look, this is ridiculous. read the classifieds in your local
>	news-paper, read the bulletin board in your computer store,
>	read a local BBS-system.  Because, let me tell you, there are
>	a lot better bargains to be found there!!!
>
>	and I consider that DOUBLE abuse of this communication channel
>	provided courtesy of someone else's wallet!!

Actually I feel far more "abused" by your 122 line message "flaming" people
whose messages selling Mac Stuff are maybe 20 - 30 lines max & usually shorter.
I think you you should practice what you preach. Instead of flaming us to death
about how you think items for sale should be dealt with. I would much rather
see an overpriced for sale ad, than what you had to  complain about...

s can be a pain when it counts lines...

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

lad@sdl.UUCP (Lawrence A. Deleski) (03/03/89)

From article <3672@utastro.UUCP>, by werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig):
> In article <928@stech.UUCP>, sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>> in article <84702@felix.UUCP>, kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) says:

> 	I asume you are being rethoric here;  if you want to call for a vote
> 	on the purpose of a group, you do that by , at least, cross-posting
> 	in group news.groups.

No, I am not.  I simply stated a preference, and asked people to
agree/disagree with me.  I had several people agree with posting for sale
items to this group, not one against (except you, of course).

I still feel that posting sale equipment to this group is OK, and the majority
agrees.

> 	Calling for a vote in a followup article like yours reaches only
> 	the "hardcore" news-junkies (and folks with an axe to grind in this
> 	topic) - anyone who is bothered by for-sale articles and who has
> 	any sense is trying hard to ignore this discussion thread.

Bull.  And let's get one thing straight, I never 'called for a vote' in the
sense of calling for the net.general.audience to vote, I aksed people what
they're preference was.

Everyone who reads this group is affected by what is decided here, so why not
post the question here?

[totally silly "free needles" analogy deleted]

> 	discussions were held way back, and misc.for-sale was created
> 	as an outlet for the MINORITY who would insist to abuse this
> 	media for commercial activities and to do so without even restricting
> 	the distribution area of their articles (carelessly and through
> 	ignorance, I don't know what is worse)

Whoa.  misc.forsale was NOT created for any commercial activity at ALL.  I
remember the creation of misc.forsale clearly.  It was created for 'those
wishing to post personal items for sale to the net.community' (taken from the
control message, don't ask me why I save these things).  And what minority?  I
remember an overwhelming vote for misc.forsale.  But we're straying too far
from the original subject...

> 	look, this is ridiculous. read the classifieds in your local
> 	news-paper, read the bulletin board in your computer store,
> 	read a local BBS-system.

You're the one who's being ridiculous.  You're making a big deal out of
something that should not even be an issue.  Explain to me how much better a
local newspaper can be versus a worldwide net when it comes to buying/selling
equipment.

>   Because, let me tell you, there are
> 	a lot better bargains to be found there!!!

Says you.  I've gotten some great deals from the net, and I've even made a few
sales.

> 	I suspect, some of you might even be under the impression that the
> 	for-sale articles will give you a "feel" of the used-equipment
> 	market:  WRONG, not the articles on this network.

Again, your opinion.  Not the consensus of the people who read this group.

> 	the fact is that most netters, at any given time, are not in the
> 	market for used equipment,

I'd like to see the survey you took to come up with that little gem of
information.

>	and if they are they should be interested
> 	in learning about equipment for-sale "IN DRIVING DISTANCE!!", not
> 	half-way around the globe.  (in case you didn't notice, you folks,
> 	carelessly, ignored my remark that I have little problem with for-sale
> 	articles posted to comp.sys.mac with distribution limited to an
> 	area the seller/buyer is willing to travel by car for a demo:

Why should anyone limit the ditribution on a posted forsale article when it
has a better chance of finding a home with a larger distribution?  Your
agruments don't make sense.  It seems you only get mad when you read articles
posted by someone NOT within driving distance of your home.

> 	the message you should have gotten is (and a little investigation
> 	might have led you to it) that commercial gain messages are against
> 	the rules of the game and are, explicitly, disallowed at many of
> 	the major backbone sites.

Thanks for telling us something we already know.  I haven't seen a posted
article from a commercial concern in ages, and I read thses groups every day.
When someone does post an article that is obviously a commercial entity trying
to sell to the net it is trounced upon with cat-like swiftness.

>	That the net-gods, in their wisdom and
> 	knowing that there are always bozos who will disregard the wishes
> 	of the ones paying the bills, and who will insist that they deserve
> 	a forum to do with as they please in their little corner of the net
> 	where they pay the bills, well, the gods decided to create a top
> 	level msg-class "misc" and below it "misc.for-sale", thus making it
> 	possible for those companies who choose not to support for-sale
> 	articles, to simply not propagate a whole class of messages.

You are simply WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.  misc.forsale is for private postings
only.  No commercial posts at all.  That's the was it's been for as long as I
can remember.

> 	you folks remind me of the telephone and door-to-door solicitors
> 	who act surprised when I tell them that they are abusing my time

You remind me of the old guy who used to live at the end of my street when I
was a kid.  Man, he would bitch about EVERYTHING, kids, taxes, cars, you name
it, he bitched about it.  He died.

> 	so, to conclude, that because posting to misc.for-sale doesn't
> 	work, but posting to comp.sys.mac led to a sale, ergo posting
> 	for-sale articles to comp.sys.mac is both accepted and effective
> 	is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG !!!

No, your idea that you are right about this is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG !!!  You
don't have a shred of support for your argument, except that it pisses you
off.  Well, I'm afraid that ain't good enough.

>	you abuse the privilege of having your
> 	articles to comp.sys.mac broadcasted by those sites trusting that
> 	you will not abuse it with commercial gains articles, and you are

You do not have one shred of evidence suggesting that any article recently
posted was posted by someone who was not selling it for personal purposed
only.  You rag on and on about something you can't even prove!  Either accept
it the way it is or give it up.

[stuff deleted about how Werner thinks we are 'nuisances']

> 	lovely concept, isn't it ?!?!  especially if it's not just your
> 	neighbor but THE WHOLE FREAKING WORLD that knocks on your electronic
> 	door .... plus, you end up paying for the phone-call !!!

I got a simple solution for you:  DON'T READ THE FREAKING GROUP!!!

--
		Lawrence A. Deleski             |       Silicon Compiler Systems
        uunet!clyde!sdl!bub!lad         |       15 Independence Blvd.

wert@cup.portal.com (robert scott comer) (03/05/89)

I agree with werner, no ads! See, one line: scott comer

david@wiley.UUCP (David Hull) (03/06/89)

In article <1162@bub.sdl.UUCP> lad@sdl.UUCP (Lawrence A. Deleski) writes:
>I had several people agree with posting for sale
>items to this group, not one against (except you, of course).

I, too, wish that people wouldn't post for-sale items to comp.sys.mac.

I look at it as a case of what's fair.  We have to remember that in
Usenet, unlike commercial information services, the costs are borne
by everybody, not just the poster and the readers.

So, who benefits from the typical posting in which some question gets
asked or answered?  Assuming that we learn something, everybody.  Who
benefits from a for-sale notice?  Two people: the seller and the
buyer.  So I ask, is it fair that I should pay for the cost of your
advertisement?

I agree with Werner: people who have something to sell should take out
a classified ad in their local newspaper.  Let those who benefit bear
the costs.

-David

lipa@polya.Stanford.EDU (William J. Lipa) (03/07/89)

In article <4206@wiley.UUCP> david@wiley.UUCP (David Hull) writes:
>I, too, wish that people wouldn't post for-sale items to comp.sys.mac.

Me too. Most of the time when I read comp.sys.mac I am not interested in
seeing endless streams of advertisements.

However, I can see that these messages provide a valuable service to the
buyers and sellers of used Mac-related products. It seems to me that a
reasonable solution would be to create a new group for this purpose, called
(for example) misc.forsale.mac.

That way people could conveniently skip over such advertisements except
when they were interested in purchasing or selling something. Also, sites
could choose whether or not they were interested in carrying advertisements
without having to sacrifice all the rest of comp.sys.mac.

Bill Lipa
[Note followup to news.groups]