[comp.sys.mac] GIF on a Mac SE

epayne@x102a.harris-atd.com (payne edward 01471) (02/28/89)

Hello out there in Netland,

	I'm the new kid on the block.  I just bought a Mac SE and I'm having a
ball FTPing from different sites.  Being a novice at just about everything,
I have many questions but I will only ask one right now.  Is there any way
to display shades of gray on my SE.  I have vision-lab and some GIF pictures
but they don't look very good because it is all black or white.  I really
appreciate the info and/or advice.  Talk to you later.  Thanks!

					Ed Payne

P.S.     I just today learned how to post letters to the net.

jcocon@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C O'Connor III, 2846) (02/28/89)

From article <1606@trantor.harris-atd.com>, by epayne@x102a.harris-atd.com (payne edward 01471):
> I have many questions but I will only ask one right now.  Is there any way
> to display shades of gray on my SE.  I have vision-lab and some GIF pictures
> but they don't look very good because it is all black or white.  I really
> 					Ed Payne

I am working on a giff decoder that shows gray shades in dither.
       Jim O'Connor

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (03/02/89)

Sorry, but using the SE, you can have any choice of grey level you want per
pixil as long as it is black or white.

As all the toaster macs sing together"yes we have no gray scales, no gray
scales we haven't ever {yet}"

TeriAnn

md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) (03/02/89)

Sorry, with a standard SE, there is no chance of viewing greyscales.
As my roommate says, the world is just a set of black and white dots.....

md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) (03/02/89)

If you want dithered grey (gray) scales on your SE, use the Publicly available
Vision Lab.  Just load in a Gif picture and then
select any of the many bitmap menu options and the program will display
the picture dithered using that process.
If you need any more info, let me know.
My friends and I( especially chuck) are pretty well versed in gif stuff.
Also, if you want o be on my gif mailing list, let me know...

hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (Harold Wong) (03/04/89)

In article <EY3789y00W0cQVHGFI@andrew.cmu.edu> md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) writes:
>Sorry, with a standard SE, there is no chance of viewing greyscales.
>As my roommate says, the world is just a set of black and white dots.....

Apple continues to amaze me. The only selling point on the SE/30 is portability.It's the same Mac IIx board which is only 10% to 20% faster than a Mac II.
Anybody run a program named spiral?  It draws a spiral on a mac and when it's
done, displays the time it took to finish.  Mac II did it in 19 seconds, SE/30
in 21 seconds.  wow.

Mininally, the SE/30 sould of included a gray scale monitor.

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT

cs132087@brunix (Jeff Baum) (03/06/89)

There is a program called VisionLab, which will take GIF pictures and
dither them to 2-color (i.e. black & white).  I assume that it would work
on an SE, but you just wouldn't be able to see the color picture.  Once
it is dithered, you would then be able to save it to MacPaint.  However,
as you must realize, going from 256-color to 2-color will give you a
MUCH rougher picture.

VisionLab is available by FTP at hubcap.clemson.edu (192.5.219.1), in
addition to quite a selection of GIF pictures.

Jeff Baum
cs132087@cs.brown.edu

LaserMan@cup.portal.com (Bob LaserMan Murrow) (03/07/89)

The program of choice to convert a GIF file to MacPaint is called GIFConverter
This program does an order of magnitude better job of conversion that any othe
program available. I have them all and this one is GREAT. It is commercial and
only available from CompuServe but worth it! I have a hugh GIF collection and
a friend came over and converted some with GIFConverter. It did such a nice
job that I ordered it as soon as he left.
Bob Murrow