[comp.sys.mac] read IBM 3.5 floppies on MAC?

chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) (03/07/89)

I am not a regular reader of this group and would so appreciate a response
by email.  If I get over 10 requests for a summary I will summarize here.
Otherwise I will send the summary by email to the requesters.

Mary, a friend of my wife's, runs a Desktop publishing outfit and my wife
would like to be able to take an IBM 3.5 in. floppy and give it to her with
say, for example, WordPerfect documents on it.  Now how WP documents, or any
other files, might have to be converted once they are on a Mac disk or in its
memory is not the question here.

We want to know what Mary can do with the IBM 720K 3.5 in. floppy in her
hand and her Mac on her desk.  (Yes I know what kind of Mac but I ain't
telling.  The answers will give me some perspective.  But please say what
kind of Mac your answers apply to.)

What hardware or software solutions are there available to a Mac user who
wants to read a MSDOS 720K floppy on their machine?  Software solutions are
preferred.

I'm sorry if this is the millionth time so far this year that this question
has come up here.  The subject didn't seem to be in any of the unexpired
articles from this group on this machine (I did look first).

Thanks.

--
"Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it." -- Alex Schure

Charles Cleveland   Georgia Tech School of Physics   Atlanta, GA 30332-0430
UUCP: ...!gatech!gtss!chas                  INTERNET:  chas@gtss.gatech.edu

blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) (03/07/89)

In article <346@gtss.gatech.edu> chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland)
writes:
> Mary, a friend of my wife's, runs a Desktop publishing outfit and my wife
> would like to be able to take an IBM 3.5 in. floppy and give it to her
> with say, for example, WordPerfect documents on it.  Now how WP documents,
> or any other files, might have to be converted once they are on a Mac disk
> or in its memory is not the question here.
>
> We want to know what Mary can do with the IBM 720K 3.5 in. floppy in her
> hand and her Mac on her desk.

She has several options.  All of them involve hardware.  The Macintosh and
IBM use different bit encoding methods, so she can't read the disk without
additional hardware.

Dayna makes a fine product called DaynaFile which plugs into the SCSI port
and contains enough smarts so that IBM floppies come up on the desktop and
look like Mac disks.  Dayna Communications, 50 South Main, Fifth Floor,
Salt Lake City, Utah 84144

Konnect sells something that plugs into the external floppy port and
allows access to IBM 720K 3 1/2" floppies.  I don't have their address in
front of me.

Apple sells the Macintosh IIx and Macintosh SE/30, which have the ability
to read Apple II or Macintosh 400K  and 800K floppies as well  as IBM
style 720K and 1440K floppies.  We also sell a 5 1/4" external floppy
drive.  You can use any of these in conjunction with Apple File Exchange
to transfer files back and forth.

Of the choices, I think the Dayna is the most transparent.

Disclaimer: I work for Apple.  These are my opinions, not Apple's.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com