[comp.sys.mac] Image Processing on the Mac IIx ???

mmcintos@uvicctr.UUCP (Mark J. McIntosh) (03/07/89)

   I am looking for information about frame grabbers for a Mac IIx, as well
as image processing software recommendations.   A colleague here
wants to capture video images of a mechanical part and do some analysis
of the shape (things like FFT's; I am not an image processing person so I
can't go into detail).  He may end up milling the part on a NC machine.

   He has heard of the following hardware/software combinations:

          Optimage  (image processing software only)
          Data Translation (video i/f board plus software)
	  Rast Ops (video board plus software)

Any comments on these?  Any other ideas for software or hardware for image
processing on a Mac IIx?  All comments are welcome.

   Please e-mail to me.  I will summarize if people show enough interest.

Thanks,
--
Mark J. McIntosh <mmcintos@sirius.uvic.ca>
=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=

jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu.engin.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) (03/08/89)

In article <633@uvicctr.UUCP> mmcintos@uvicctr.UUCP (Mark J. McIntosh) writes:

>   I am looking for information about frame grabbers for a Mac IIx, as well
>as image processing software recommendations.   A colleague here
>
>   He has heard of the following hardware/software combinations:
>
>          Optimage  (image processing software only)
>          Data Translation (video i/f board plus software)
>	  Rast Ops (video board plus software)
>
>Any comments on these?  Any other ideas for software or hardware for image
>processing on a Mac IIx?  All comments are welcome.

	I have received enough comments locally that make me believe
that it is worth posting this info rather than mailing it.

	I just bought a Scion Image Capture 2 board for the MacII, I
compared this board side-by-side with a new Data Translation
QuickCapture board.  The resolution and image quality of the 2 boards
was virtually identical, however, the Scion board displays in real
time and is cheaper.  DT charge $1595 and I think do not give
discounts for Universities and also charge nearly $200 for the cable
to hook the board up to a camera.  The Scion board is $1195 and is
discounted for Universities (10% I believe, maybe 15%) and comes with
a cable for a monochrome camera.  Cable for a rgb source is $75 from
Scion, I dont know if the DT cable does everything, it has many
connectors on it, so you may not need an extra cable for rgb on the DT
board.  Both boards capture 24 bit color but not instantly, it takes
several seconds (3-5) apparently, havent tried it with mine yet. Dont
really have use for color, the electrons we look at dont have color!
Not that you can see anyway.  I like the Scion board and would
recommend it, dont have any connection with Scion other than being
impressed with their friendliness and helpfulness.

	Both the DT board and Scion board work with the PD program
Image which was written by a guy called Wayne Rasband at NIH in
Bethesda.  It is really neat and if someone could tell me how to post
to comp.binaries.mac I will post the latest release.  This program
lets you grab images and average them and do simple kernal operations
and aslo calibration and measurements.  No FFTs tho!  The Mac is a
little slow for that still.

	There is a program called Ultimage for the MacII from GrafTek,
I think, they are a French company and it is apparently a port from a
VAX/PC version.  I have a demo copy and it is buggy and has a poor mac
interface, does do FFTs tho'! They are a bit slow but they do work.
Trouble is they want $4000 for the program.

	There is also software by Perceptics for the MacII alone (not
their special Image processing box NuVision) and that too is not
really mac-like, I dont really know too much about this product tho'.

	Hope this helps.  Any questions or comments, dont hesitate to
email to:

John Mansfield
North Campus Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory 2455 Hayward, Ann Arbor,
Michigan 48109-2143. 313-936-3352
Internet: jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu or john_mansfield.um.cc.umich.edu