[comp.sys.mac] Dove '030 & A/UX 1.1

goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU (03/01/89)

/* Written  9:58 am  Feb 26, 1989 by goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU in hcx9:comp.sys.mac */
/* ---------- "Dove '030 & A/UX 1.1" ---------- */
I've got an early Mac II with no PMMU on which I want to run A/UX.  I could
buy the PMMU from Apple ($400+ with academic discount, though probably
cheaper from Motorola), upgrade the II to a IIx for about $1500 (without
FDHD), or buy a Dove 32 MHz 68030 for about $1000.  The last option is
the most appealing to me because it gives me a significant speed-up as
well as memory management.  Unfortunately, I don't know whether A/UX 1.1 will
work with the Mac II/Dove combination.

Does anyone have any experience with the Dove 32 MHz '030?  And, does any
one know if A/UX 1.1 will run on it?  I'd appreciate any information I can get.

Thanks,
Ben Goldfarb
University of Central Florida
uucp: {decvax,peora,uflorida}!ucf-cs!goldfarb
Internet: goldfarb@ucf-cs.ucf.edu
/* End of text from hcx9:comp.sys.mac */

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (03/03/89)

>I could...upgrade the II to a IIx for about $1500 (without
>FDHD), or buy a Dove 32 MHz 68030 for about $1000.

Where are these prices from? Our academic upgrade price from a Mac-II to a Mac-IIx
is $3300. This is the main reason I decided that it was not worth it for me sticking
with Apple.

Ivo Welch

>Does anyone have any experience with the Dove 32 MHz '030?  And, does any
>one know if A/UX 1.1 will run on it?  I'd appreciate any information I can get.

According to someone I read on CompuServe, the Dove board definitely won't
run A/UX. None of the third-party upgrades are supported by A/UX (which
doesn't mean they won't run it. Just means it isn't official).

Chuq Von Rospach       -*-      Editor,OtherRealms      -*-      Member SFWA
chuq@apple.com  -*-  CI$: 73317,635  -*-  Delphi: CHUQ  -*-  Applelink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

Signature quotes? We don't need no stinkin' signature quotes!

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (03/03/89)

Wasn't my fault, though; I investigated, and our local student
consultants here at the microcomputer distribution center cited
the $3300 as price for the board swap. This week, they have changed
their minds, and not quote me the correct price.

Well, in any case, the recent Macworld describes the differences and
benchmarks the Dove and Daystar boards. My reading is that the
difference is a RAM cache on the Daystar board. Still, the benchmark
of a Mac-IIx vs. a Dove 33MHz upgrade is heavily biased in favor
of the Dove board.

/ivo

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (03/03/89)

In article <2089@tank.uchicago.edu>, phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
> >I could...upgrade the II to a IIx for about $1500 (without
> >FDHD), or buy a Dove 32 MHz 68030 for about $1000.
> Where are these prices from? Our academic upgrade price from a Mac-II to a Mac-IIx
> is $3300. This is the main reason I decided that it was not worth it for me sticking
> with Apple.
>
> Ivo Welch

Even though Academic pricing is supposed to be confidential, I think that
it is o.k. in this case to clarify:

Assuming Level 1 pricing on the HEPP I program (if you aren't familiar with
this, just ignore it), the cost of upgrading is $3039.30, which includes
the standard educational discount.  This is the one figure that is being
quoted.  But this is not the final cost.  You will receive a credit of
$1500 upon the return of the old motherboard to Apple.  So the actual cost
is $3039.30-$1500, which turns out to be $1539.30, the second figure that
was quoted.

This upgrade gives you the ability to use the FDHD 1.44M SuperDrives, which
would cost you (net) another $419 if you wanted to upgrade a Mac II in this
manner  (it does not, however, include the actual drive, which costs $349).

So subtract that amount ($419) from the cost of the IIx upgrade ($1539.30)
and you have a cost of $1120.30, close to the price of the Dove board.  Sure
it isn't as fast, but it gives you the capability of running A/UX, using
the 1.44M disks, while still using the 68030/68882 combination to improve
performance.

I hope this answers the question.  (I tried to respond directly, but the
message was bounced back to me.)

-Michael Niehaus

Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
Ball State University  AppleLink: ST0374 (from UUCP: st0374@applelink.apple.com)

goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU (03/04/89)

>>I could...upgrade the II to a IIx for about $1500 (without
>>FDHD), or buy a Dove 32 MHz 68030 for about $1000.
>
>Where are these prices from? Our academic upgrade price from a Mac-II to a Mac-IIx
>is $3300. This is the main reason I decided that it was not worth it for me sticking
>with Apple.
>
>Ivo Welch

If you check further, you'll probably discover that the $3000+ price you
were given is subject to a credit when the original Mac II logic board is
returned to Apple.  The exact wording in our contract is:
	"A credit of $1500 will be issued upon return of old
	Macintosh II logic board to Apple."

Ben Goldfarb

goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU (03/04/89)

>According to someone I read on CompuServe, the Dove board definitely won't
>run A/UX. None of the third-party upgrades are supported by A/UX (which
>doesn't mean they won't run it. Just means it isn't official).
>

>Chuq Von Rospach       -*-      Editor,OtherRealms      -*-      Member SFWA

Hi Someone,

Butbutbut, that was YOU who responded to me on CompuServe!

--Ben

bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mike Bell) (03/06/89)

In article <2600003@hcx9> goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU writes:

>/* Written  9:58 am  Feb 26, 1989 by goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU in hcx9:comp.sys.mac */
>/* ---------- "Dove '030 & A/UX 1.1" ---------- */
>I've got an early Mac II with no PMMU on which I want to run A/UX.  I could
>buy the PMMU from Apple ($400+ with academic discount, though probably
>cheaper from Motorola), upgrade the II to a IIx for about $1500 (without
>FDHD), or buy a Dove 32 MHz 68030 for about $1000.  The last option is
>the most appealing to me because it gives me a significant speed-up as
>well as memory management.  Unfortunately, I don't know whether A/UX 1.1 will
>work with the Mac II/Dove combination.
>
>Does anyone have any experience with the Dove 32 MHz '030?  And, does any
>one know if A/UX 1.1 will run on it?  I'd appreciate any information I can get.
>
>Thanks,
>Ben Goldfarb
>University of Central Florida
>uucp: {decvax,peora,uflorida}!ucf-cs!goldfarb
>Internet: goldfarb@ucf-cs.ucf.edu
>/* End of text from hcx9:comp.sys.mac */

     Without the new MAC IIx rom upgrade kit installed in the Mac II, the PMMU
in the Dove '030 will not be recognized. I got burned by this -- the salesman
swore to me that it worked with A/UX, and AFTER i bought it, I found out that I needed the rom/Superdrive upgrade to actually get it to work !

				Mike Bell
				bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

     _______________
    /  ___________  \
    | /           \ |
    | |   UPenn   | |
    | |    Mac    | | Administrator:          Mike Bell (bell@eniac)
    | |  Archives | |
    | \___________/ |  To access the Mac archives, issue the command:
    |       ______  |           cd ~mac/new
    |  ,   |______| |  For a listing of all available files, read:
    | @             |            filelist.tx
    \_______________/   Send any questions/suggestions about the archives to:
    |               |
    \_______________/                        mac@eniac

*****  Above instructions are valid for PennNet use only...all others use FTP

goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU (03/08/89)

>     Without the new MAC IIx rom upgrade kit installed in the Mac II, the PMMU
>in the Dove '030 will not be recognized. I got burned by this -- the salesman
>swore to me that it worked with A/UX, and AFTER i bought it, I found out that
>I needed the rom/Superdrive upgrade to actually get it to work !
>
>				Mike Bell
>				bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

Aha!  This is the response I was looking for, one way or the other.  I really
appreciate the information.  I am only sorry that you were not able to have
the information you gave me to avoid getting burned.

Notwithstanding the lack of A/UX compatibility, how do you like the
Dove '030?  (Have you returned it, or are you still using it?)  MacWorld,
in their recent comparison of third-party upgrades said it wasn't worth
the bucks to upgrade a Mac II to an '030.  Do you agree or disagree?

Thanks again,

Ben Goldfarb
goldfarb@hcx9.ucf.edu