[comp.sys.mac] EPSF pics leaving tails...

annie@cs.swarthmore.edu (Annie Fetter) (03/03/89)

I am doing DTP in Ready, Set, Go! 4.0a.  I use Cricket Draw 1.1.1 to do all the
drawings, then transfer them to RSG in EPSF (Encapsulated PostScript Form). We
have encountered a problem with this (though not severe, it's a pain in the
*ss).

All the drawings are of various polyhedra.  They are done to perfection in
Cricket Draw (all the lines connect where they should, and are perfect when
printed in Cricket Draw form).  However, when transferred to RSG, many of them
develop tails - small lines extending from some of the vertices.  I have tried
resaving in EPSF and other similar quick-fixes, but nothing has worked.

We are planning to publish our materials (high school geometry workbooks) and
really need a perfect product.  I'm not real thrilled about the prospect of
going through all our stuff with white-out.

Anyone got any ideas?  Anyone else have similar problems?

FYI, Mac II with 2 meg, System 6.0.2, Cricket Draw 1.1.1, RSG 4.0a.

Thanks!
	-annie

--
       Annie Fetter           |      annie@cs.swarthmore.edu    |
VGP-Department of Mathematics |      fetter@swarthmr.bitnet     |  For Office

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (03/04/89)

[I tried to mail, but it bounced on me due to the idiocy of some
Stanford computer...]

>All the drawings are of various polyhedra.  They are done to perfection in
>Cricket Draw (all the lines connect where they should, and are perfect when
>printed in Cricket Draw form).  However, when transferred to RSG, many of them
>develop tails - small lines extending from some of the vertices.  I have tried
>resaving in EPSF and other similar quick-fixes, but nothing has worked.
>
>We are planning to publish our materials (high school geometry workbooks) and
>really need a perfect product.  I'm not real thrilled about the prospect of
>going through all our stuff with white-out.
>
>Anyone got any ideas?  Anyone else have similar problems?
>
>FYI, Mac II with 2 meg, System 6.0.2, Cricket Draw 1.1.1, RSG 4.0a.
>
>Thanks!
>       Annie Fetter           |      annie@cs.swarthmore.edu    |
>VGP-Department of Mathematics |      fetter@swarthmr.bitnet     |  For Office

Try going back in Cricket Draw and Ungrouping all your objects.
If that doesn't work, save your file as PICT.  If that doesn't work,
then try using Aldus Freehand or Adobe Illustrator.

Reasons: any picture will have problems printing if the objects are
grouped in any way at all.  Also, the Mac has pretensions of being a
truly WYSIWYG (What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get) computer, but it really
isn't.  And it is hard to be WYSIWYG when your computer uses one
imaging language (QuickDraw) while you printer uses another
(PostScript).  Since a PICT file is more or less pure QuickDraw, it
can eliminate part of the translation problem and leave the translation
to the LaserWriter driver rather than to Cricket Draw.  Also,
Illustrator and Freehand probably have better algorithms for saving as
EPSF than Cricket Draw does.  Adobe created EPSF; Aldus is one of its
biggest supporters (PageMaker made EPSF the standard it is).

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (03/06/89)

In article <2510@masada.cs.swarthmore.edu> annie@cs.swarthmore.edu (Annie Fetter) writes:

<All the drawings are of various polyhedra.  They are done to perfection in
<Cricket Draw (all the lines connect where they should, and are perfect when
<printed in Cricket Draw form).  However, when transferred to RSG, many of them
<develop tails - small lines extending from some of the vertices.  I have tried
<resaving in EPSF and other similar quick-fixes, but nothing has worked.

<Anyone got any ideas?  Anyone else have similar problems?

That's interesting. My boss complained about a similar thing that happened
in my drawings. Once the Canvas drawing was imported into Word and printed,
it looked like I had plunked an arrowhead on a line and done a sloppy job
so that the line stuck out past the arrowhead.

I'm not sure at what point this occurred, but maybe there is something
about moving graphics into another application that is common to both
of these environments.

Shirley Kehr

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (03/08/89)

In article <85686@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
>In article <2510@masada.cs.swarthmore.edu> annie@cs.swarthmore.edu (Annie Fetter) writes:
>
><All the drawings are of various polyhedra.  They are done to perfection in
><Cricket Draw (all the lines connect where they should, and are perfect when
><printed in Cricket Draw form).  However, when transferred to RSG, many of them
><develop tails - small lines extending from some of the vertices.  I have tried
><resaving in EPSF and other similar quick-fixes, but nothing has worked.
>
><Anyone got any ideas?  Anyone else have similar problems?
>
>That's interesting. My boss complained about a similar thing that happened
>in my drawings. Once the Canvas drawing was imported into Word and printed,
>it looked like I had plunked an arrowhead on a line and done a sloppy job
>so that the line stuck out past the arrowhead.

My guess is that the "miter limit" in the graphics state is somehow not
being preserved.  The miter limit controls how far the point should be
drawn past a corner when two line segments meet at a severe angle.  See
the PostScript Language Reference Manual for more details.

Try editing the EPS file by hand and looking for "setmiterlimit".  If
it's not there, try adding something like "5 setmiterlimit" or so.

--
Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems