[comp.sys.mac] Need Laser Printer Selection Help

dbk@teroach.UUCP (Dave Kinzer) (03/07/89)

  I need some help in selecting a laser printer.  I have an Amiga computer
so I would like to get something that works with this.  This means that
I would like to have an HP or something with HP emulation.

  My wife has a Mac SE so I am looking for something which is compatable
with this computer as well.  This is where I have no knowledge at all.
What kind of interface, compatability, postscript, or whatever is needed
to properly work in the Macintosh environment.

  Ideally, I would like to get an HP LaserJet II with some kind of plug in
board to make it work with the Mac, but I do not know if this is possible.
Alternately, I could write an Amiga driver for the Laserwriter, but I
would like to avoid this if possible.

   Any help from people with some experience in this area would be most
appreciated.  Thanks.

As usual, E-mail is appropriate, and I will E-mail a summary to requestors.
Also, advance apologies if this has been beat to death in the Mac or Laser
group, I haven't frequented them before.

|    // GOATS - Gladly Offering All Their Support  Dave Kinzer (602)897-3085|
|   //  >> In Hell you need 4Mb to Multitask!  <<  uunet!mcdphx!teroach!dbk |
| \X/   #define policy_maker(name) (name->salary > 3 * dave.salary)         |

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (03/08/89)

In article <10500@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> dbk@teroach.UUCP (Dave Kinzer) writes:

>  Ideally, I would like to get an HP LaserJet II with some kind of plug in
>board to make it work with the Mac, but I do not know if this is possible.
>Alternately, I could write an Amiga driver for the Laserwriter, but I
>would like to avoid this if possible.
>
>   Any help from people with some experience in this area would be most
>appreciated.  Thanks.

It's getting easier to connect a Mac to printers other than the LaserWriter
(and ImageWriter). The Feb 21 issue of MacWeek ran a full-page ad for
MacPrint which is a "chooser-level utility." Here's some copy from the ad.

"You can print virtually any Mac application on a whole range of high
quality, lower-priced printers. Including HP LaserJet IID, LaserJet
Series II and compatibles. MacPrint supports all HP internal and cartridge
fonts. You can print two sides of a page and from dual bins in legal
and standard sizes." [Note: sentence structure copied from the ad!]

"MacPrint displays all your printer's resident fonts for true WYSIWYG
performance. If it can't find a resident font, it will create one based
on the QuickDraw screen font. And MacPrint lets you print at your
printer's maximum resolution: 75, 150, or 300dpi."

Price $149

Call: Insight Development Corporation
      (415) 376-9500
      1024 Country Club Drive