[comp.sys.mac] Mac 512 KE questions

thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (02/26/89)

I recently presided over my sister's purchase of a purported Mac 512 KE, used
 (for $800).  It was in very good condition, and I sat down and ran a few
 things to make sure it worked.  Mouse looked fine, etc.  Unfortunately,
 I know next to nothing about that particular halfbreed, and have few questions:

1. How can I tell if it's truly a 512 KE?  I checked its memory under
  "About the Finder", and it showed 512K, but how do I know it's not a
  "Fat Mac"?

2. How can I tell if its drive is double-sided?  I put in a double-sided
   disk, and ran a program from it, but is this guarantee that the disk
   drive is double sided?  How can I tell theoretically, without use of
   a DS disk?

3. After some consideration, I told my sister a Mac 512 KE seemed to me
   to be basically a Mac Plus with only half the memory.  Was I right,
   or are there other differences?

4. What is the last version of System/Finder allowed on a 512 KE?  How can
   I find out?  Is there a Switcher version for it?

5. Will programs in general work?  Say, Word 3.x?  Or will it require
   *really* old programs?  Does it have the new ROMS?  (will programs
   which require those traps, but don't assume a System number, work?)

6. (relatively unrelated) Is there a way to hook up an Epson printer to
   the Mac?  Does Epson make drivers?  Does anyone else?

Thanks in advance,

- Mark Thompson                       "The University Neither Knows Nor
  Death is Nothing More Than a State   Cares What I Am Saying."
  of Decay

jcocon@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C O'Connor III, 2846) (02/28/89)

From article <46700105@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu>, by thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:
> 1. How can I tell if it's truly a 512 KE?  I checked its memory under
   "About the Finder", and it showed 512K, but how do I know it's not a
   "Fat Mac"?
If it can read a disk which has more than 400K (779K actually) it is a 512Ke.

> 2. How can I tell if its drive is double-sided?  I put in a double-sided
    disk, and ran a program from it, but is this guarantee that the disk
See answer 1.
> 3. After some consideration, I told my sister a Mac 512 KE seemed to me
    to be basically a Mac Plus with only half the memory.  Was I right,
    or are there other differences?
512Ke doesn't have a SCSI port (you can add one for under 150$), and you may
have old MacPlus ROMS. (there seem to be two versions)
> 5. Will programs in general work?  Say, Word 3.x?  Or will it require
    *really* old programs?  Does it have the new ROMS?  (will programs
    which require those traps, but don't assume a System number, work?)
My sister has a 512Ke (originally a 128), and except for the obvious memory
limitations it runs stuff fine.

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (03/01/89)

In article <46700105@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>1. How can I tell if it's truly a 512 KE?  I checked its memory under
>  "About the Finder", and it showed 512K, but how do I know it's not a
>  "Fat Mac"?

  It might be a non Apple 512K, but I doubt it.  If it were non-Apple then
it would have never made it to being a 512Ke.   "Fat Mac" was slang for
the 512K.

>2. How can I tell if its drive is double-sided?  I put in a double-sided
>   disk, and ran a program from it, but is this guarantee that the disk

  If you put an 800K disk in the drive an ran a program from it then
it is a double sided Drive.  There is no way for an older Macintosh with
only 400K drives to use the newer 800K format.  So the answer to your
question is yes!!

>3. After some consideration, I told my sister a Mac 512 KE seemed to me
>   to be basically a Mac Plus with only half the memory.  Was I right,
>   or are there other differences?

  Almost, the 512Ke doesn't have a SCSI port, and it might/might-not have
the newer clock chip.  Either way if all you want to do is run some of
the smaller Mac programs this shouldn't present a Problem.  If you ever
do need a SCSI port dove offers a functional upgrade that seems to work
very well.

>4. What is the last version of System/Finder allowed on a 512 KE?  How can
>   I find out?  Is there a Switcher version for it?

  I believe it's system 3.2 and finder 5.3 {but I could be wrong}, most of
the systems after that start chewing up memory and Disk space like you
wouldn't believe.

>5. Will programs in general work?  Say, Word 3.x?  Or will it require
>   *really* old programs?  Does it have the new ROMS?  (will programs
>   which require those traps, but don't assume a System number, work?)

   Well it doesn't have the "new" ROMS, new ROMS being the 256K/512K roms
in Apple's new stuff.  But yes it does have the Macintosh + 128K roms which
are generally called the "new roms".  As far as software I don't really
know.  Most of the stuff these days really does require either 6.0 or at
least 5.0, so where software is concerned you'll just have to try it.

>6. (relatively unrelated) Is there a way to hook up an Epson printer to
>   the Mac?  Does Epson make drivers?  Does anyone else?

  I would recommend the Grappler LS, this is a serial-->parrallel converter
that also does imageWriter--->Epson code conversions.  It works rather
well and allows you to use the ImageWriter driver and the macintosh, and
makes all of the conversions at the printer in it's own hardware.  If you
look in any of the Macintosh Magazines under "orange micro" you'll find
their product.

>Thanks in advance,

  Hope this helps.
--
David M. O'Rourke                                  dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

        It's only 1's & 0's, so how difficult can Computer Science be?

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (03/02/89)

The windows in a 512KE have a box on the right side of the top bar. Press it,
& the window grows to fill the screen. Press it again & it goes back to its
previous size. The 64K ROM "fat Mac" does not have this grow box. Also, a
64K ROM machine canot read nor format a 800K disc {the only exception
being old external 800K disc drives designed to work with 64K ROM machines,
this does not change internal drive's capabilities though}

The 512KE does not have a SCSI port, no big deal if you don't use an external
disc drive {except I highly recomend one, makes it a completely different
machine feel wise}. Add on SCSI drives can be had, and come cheaper when
included with a 512K too 1 meg RAM upgrade {Dove is a good brand for an
upgrade}.

A 512K will run anything that a Mac+ or SE will that will run on 512K of RAM.
This includes most paint, draw, wordprocessor {esp MacWrite 4.? & WriteNow}
most page processing applications, many spread sheet & database applications
& most games. The box will tell you how much RAM it needs. Many newer
applications &upgrades of several oldies require 1 mag or more but there is
a lot out there that a 512K can handle, & they just aren't oldie mouldies.

$800 seems high for a 512KE. That is pushing used Mac+ prices.

I figure a ligit price for a 512E would be slightly less then the price of
a used Mac+ minus the price of a Dove 1Meg & SCSI upgrade.

Good Luck,

TeriAnn

johnw@reed.UUCP (John B. Windberg) (03/07/89)

Can someone tell me about 512KE upgrades. I noticed the name Dove.

Which is better/.cheaper etc.  We need 1 meg and a scsi upgrade.

I used a 512 to plus "equivalent" once, but Adobe Illustrator wouldn't
run. I would like to avoid this problem.

Thanks in advance..

--
    _ _     Duh!                                 | Default Option
  O/.V.\O  /      johnw@reed (John B. Windberg)  | Troubleshooting -

>Can someone tell me about 512KE upgrades. I noticed the name Dove.

>Which is better/.cheaper etc.  We need 1 meg and a scsi upgrade.

>I used a 512 to plus "equivalent" once, but Adobe Illustrator wouldn't
>run. I would like to avoid this problem.

I own two upgraded 512Ke's, both with the Dove 2Meg upgrade + SCSI (part
number 548s).

Generally, I really like them. They install relatively easy -- the
first one took about two hours, the second about an hour. You have to
be careful, because one step might require modification of a board with
an X-acto knife depending on your motherboard, and if you aren't
careful you can damage things. If you aren't comfortable hacking with
boards and sticking your hands into places with voltages, I'd probably
find someone to install it for you.

One of the machines has been completely stable for as long as I've had the
upgrade. Rock solid, no problems or glitches. The second has had some
intermittent glitches -- nothing serious, but every so often if goes
wonkers. When it does, pulling it open and reseating the daughter boards
makes it go away again. I find that going in and reseating it every couple
of months keeps life happy. This board just doesn't seem to sit as strongly
for some reason.

The upgrades run hot. Hot enough that the top of the Mac is untouchable
unless you run a fan. Both of my mac's have Kesington's on them -- I
consider a fan of some sort required if you want a Dove board.

The Dove board is cheaper -- I bought mine for something like 400-450 from
MacConnection. The Apple MacPlus upgrade is more ($700ish), but you've got
SIMM slots and can eventually take the Plus to 4 meg if you want. Also, the
Dove board runs the SCSI port across the front of the battery port, so
access to the battery is a royal pain. Also, the cable from the SCSI board
to the port is too short -- and makes assembling and dis-assembling a real
hassle.

The *only* compatibility problem I've had is with System 6.0.2 -- neither
the sound manager nor the Map CDEV work properly without the extended pram.
There are INITs to patch both compatibilities, or you can live without them
(neither is what I'd call a major hassle).

What I recommend depends on your budget. If money is really, really tight,
buy the Dove upgrade. It's cheaper, but it is also a dead-end
technologically. You can't go beyond 2 Meg of memory. If it fails or you
have problems, finding service may be a problem (of course, neither of my
boards have failed. Neither have my systems, though, and if the Dove board
is causing something on the motherboard to fail, it could become a very
expensive proposition).

If money isn't as big a problem, I'd go with the Mac Plus upgrade. It costs
a little more, but there are fewer potential compatibility issues, you don't
need to worry about finger pointing if the system fails (and you can get it
repaired at a single location, which isn't necessariyl true with a Dove
upgrade), it'll run cooler (although I definitely recommend a fan anyway)
and you're less likely to run into future compatibility problems. If I were
to do it today, I'd go the MacPlus upgrade, even though I'm happy with my
Dove boards -- because I really want more than 2 Meg of memory, and there's
no way I can get it. When I bought the Dove boards, I figured that two meg
would keep me for a long time. I was wrong. Buying the MacPlus upgrade would
have saved me having to buy upgrades twice -- once to the Dove and again to
the MacPlus to allow more memory.

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (03/09/89)

>The Dove board is cheaper -- I bought mine for something like 400-450 from
>MacConnection. The Apple MacPlus upgrade is more ($700ish), but you've got
>SIMM slots and can eventually take the Plus to 4 meg if you want.
>
> (stuff deleted)
>
>If money isn't as big a problem, I'd go with the Mac Plus upgrade. It costs
>a little more, but there are fewer potential compatibility issues, you don't

If money isn't as big a problem, buy a new Mac Plus.

I have a 512KE myself, and I would seriously question investing in any
upgrade for this 3-year old machine.  The Dove option is a possibility,
but there are power supply problems to consider - replacing a blown board
could make the whole deal look a lot worse.

Regarding the Apple upgrade, I don't think it makes any sense from a financial
point of view.  If I *sell* my 512KE for $700, I can buy a *new* mac plus
for $1150 at University discount prices - that gives me a new, warrantied
machine for about $450, not a 3-year old hacked up machine for $700.  Even
at the "street price" of $1350 or so, you could sell your 512KE for $650 and
still have a new mac plus for the same price as the $700 upgrade.

....Just one man's opinion :-)

:: Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director :::::: System Operator, "The CallBoard" :::
:::: Dept of Theatre, SUNY Oswego ::::::: (315) 947-6414 300/1200/2400 baud :::
::::: ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU :::::::: rutgers!sunybcs!oswego!cboard!sysop ::