[comp.sys.mac] Hard Disk won't boot

marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) (03/08/89)

I know, I know...they warned me.  Well, I have a hard drive which was
formatted and initialized using SF&I.  It's been working great, except that
it seemed to have a lot of fragmentation, especially in the desktop.  So,
I used DiskExpress to de-fragment and compact the desktop.  Well...it ran
for about 2 hours or so, and came back just fine, having moved a huge
number of block around for optimization (I also specified "Prioritize Files").

Well, I seem to have no problems accessing any files on the disk, but I can't
boot from it.  Upon booting, the Mac gives me the "?" disk icon, and tries
again and again.  It will boot from a floppy, and the hard drive is there and
all is well--just no boot.

I tried re-building the desktop using OPTION-COMMAND after booting from the
floppy, but that didn't fix the problem.

Any ideas, netters?  I know I can probably do a backup, re-init, and restore,
but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks in advance,
Marc
= Marc Johnson			    BITNET:   rna!marc@rockvax.bitnet         =
= Rockefeller Univ. Neurobiology    UUCP:     ...cmcl2!rna!marc               =
= New York City                     INTERNET: marc%rna@rocky2.rockefeller.edu =
=                                             (129.85.2.1)                    =
=                                                                             =
= "Gimme the beat boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock & roll =
=                           ...and drift away"                                =

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (03/09/89)

In article <412@rna.UUCP> marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) writes:
>Well, I seem to have no problems accessing any files on the disk, but I can't
>boot from it.  Upon booting, the Mac gives me the "?" disk icon, and tries
>again and again.  It will boot from a floppy, and the hard drive is there and
>all is well--just no boot.

If you boot from a system 6.0.2 floppy, does the system folder have the
little Mac icon inside of it?  This shows the "blessed folder" which the
system uses to boot.  If it does have the little Mac showing, I'm stumped.
If it doesn't, try dragging the System file out of the system folder to
the top level of the disk, then dragging it back into the system folder.
That ought to make the Finder designate that folder as blessed, so you
will then be able to boot from it.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"The men promise to provide unconditionally for their wives.  The women in turn