[comp.sys.mac] SIMM's: more questions

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (03/09/89)

What speed SIMM's will be required w/future versions of the OS?  If I buy
SIMM's now, will they work in System 9.x on the IIhcx or IIcx?

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

swerling@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ace Swerling) (03/10/89)

In article <gY5TMty00WBVQ34II4@andrew.cmu.edu> wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) writes:
>What speed SIMM's will be required w/future versions of the OS?  If I buy
>SIMM's now, will they work in System 9.x on the IIhcx or IIcx?

From what I've read on the subject, chips faster than 100ns are very expensive
to produce because manufacturers can't get reliable, consistant results from a
large enough percentage of batches.  This isn't likely to change in the future.
So, Apple is writing some special code, of which I don't know the technical
details, so that the computers can run at faster speeds (33-50 MHz) without
excessive wait states for memory (more than 2).  Unfortunately, as I said, I
don't remember how they did it, but I would guess that 100 or 120ns chips should
do it for the next couple of years at least.

-Ace
I'm not employed by the University, so don't yell at them id I'm wrong.  Also,
I just remember reading this stuff, so don't yell at me too much.