[comp.sys.mac] Mac 128K Roms

michael@hippo.UUCP (Michael Hodgkins) (03/02/89)

I just upgraded a 512K Mac to a 512KE, ie., an 800K internal drive
and 128K Roms.  I keep on hearing about two different versions of
the 128K Roms that were used in the Mac+.  What was the difference
between these Roms?  How do you tell which of the 128K Roms one has
without opening the Mac?  If you don't have the "better" version of
the 128K Rom is there any provision for having this upgraded and, if
so, who pays?  Thanks.
--

                                        Michael Hodgkins
                                        UUCP:

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (03/04/89)

In article <499@hippo.UUCP> michael@hippo.UUCP (Michael Hodgkins) writes:
>I just upgraded a 512K Mac to a 512KE, ie., an 800K internal drive
>and 128K Roms.  I keep on hearing about two different versions of
>the 128K Roms that were used in the Mac+.  What was the difference
>between these Roms?  How do you tell which of the 128K Roms one has
>without opening the Mac?  If you don't have the "better" version of
>the 128K Rom is there any provision for having this upgraded and, if
>so, who pays?  Thanks.

 1) There were actually FOUR different versions of the Mac+ ROM, not 2.
    According to various sources (including the infamous Tech Note on
    this subject), they are:

    128K (original) - "Lonely Hearts"   * problem booting w/SCSI devices
    128K revision 1 - "Lonely Hearse"   * rare; in very few machines
    128K revision 2 - "Lonely Heifer"   * most beige Pluses have these
    128K revision 3 - "Loud Harmonicas" * current; platinum Pluses have these

 2) You can use the MacEnvy cdev to determine which revision of the
    ROM is in your machine. A debugger and a copy of the "Mac Plus ROMs"
    Tech Note will tell you the same thing.

 3) If you have a ROM prior to Lonely Heifer, there is a provision for
    getting it upgraded free. Unfortunately, I don't remember the service
    program number, although I believe it was posted here quite recently.

-ken
--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    felix!dhw68k!thecloud@ics.uci.edu

koehn@cat26.CS.WISC.EDU (Bradley Koehn) (03/09/89)

In article <20567@dhw68k.cts.com> thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
[intro text deleted]
> 1) There were actually FOUR different versions of the Mac+ ROM, not 2.
>    According to various sources (including the infamous Tech Note on
>    this subject), they are:
>
>    128K (original) - "Lonely Hearts"   * problem booting w/SCSI devices
>    128K revision 1 - "Lonely Hearse"   * rare; in very few machines
>    128K revision 2 - "Lonely Heifer"   * most beige Pluses have these
>    128K revision 3 - "Loud Harmonicas" * current; platinum Pluses have these
[more stuff deleted]

How did those bizarre names come about for the ROMs? I can't even begin to
imagine (although I'm sure that the L's and H's have something to do with
it) what these have to do with the ROM version number...

Brad Koehn
U-W Madison
"Fly like an Emu!"

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (03/09/89)

While the Mac Plus was in development, each ROM version had a 2-word code
name.  Since the 2 ROMs are marked high & low the names began with H & L.
The names were significant in that the 3 versions names Lonely <foo> all
used the exact same low ROM, with different high ROMs (I think).  Other
than that the names had no relationship to various versions.  I can't even
remember some of the other names, anymore.

When the Mac II started development, the tradition was started.  In this
case, the ROMs were named A, B, C, and D, and one of the early ROM
versions was called Alabster Candelabra.  The tradition died out, however
(perhaps because it was too difficult to come up with new names).

Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

Internet: lsr@Apple.com   UUCP: {nsc, sun}!apple!lsr
AppleLink: Rosenstein1

bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (03/10/89)

>In article <20567@dhw68k.cts.com> thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
>[intro text deleted]
>> 1) There were actually FOUR different versions of the Mac+ ROM, not 2.
>>    According to various sources (including the infamous Tech Note on
>>    this subject), they are:
>>
>>    128K (original) - "Lonely Hearts"   * problem booting w/SCSI devices
>>    128K revision 1 - "Lonely Hearse"   * rare; in very few machines
>>    128K revision 2 - "Lonely Heifer"   * most beige Pluses have these
>>    128K revision 3 - "Loud Harmonicas" * current; platinum Pluses have these
>[more stuff deleted]
>
>How did those bizarre names come about for the ROMs? I can't even begin to
>imagine (although I'm sure that the L's and H's have something to do with
>it) what these have to do with the ROM version number...
>

>Brad Koehn
>U-W Madison
>"Fly like an Emu!"

Could "Lonely Hearts" come from Sergeant Pepper????

Maybe the Beatles do have a case for suiing Apple...

Scott "I am not the Walrus!! I am a Free Man!!" Bayes