[comp.sys.mac] cool About boxes...

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (02/24/89)

What's your favorite "About..." box?

The best one I've heard tell of was from someone at Apple (hi dan!)
describing an in-house version of multifinder, which drew a giant
tree describing the management and development personnel hierarchy,
with the OKAY button advancing the tree one more phase in the
historical progression of the project (with branches breaking off
for people who got sacked, one branch somehow going to a temporarily-
visible France, etc.). A final error message ended the show: "Sorry,
out of managers!"

The naked boozing zebra woman in Macpaint 2.0 isn't bad, because warped,
but doesn't really amount to more than a digitized painting or photo.

MPW's flying toolbox is great.

I'm especially interested in ones with good graphics, animation, sound,
or humor.   I remember seeing some shareware one where the word "ME" was
scratched beside the standard [OKAY] button, which had been renamed
[OKAY BY ME].  Mac humor at its finest!

-------

Just a general discussion topic.  Keep people on their toes...

-Nick

.

--
+-------------------+-jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu / !rutgers!bpa!swatsun!jackiw-+
|  nicholas jackiw  | jackiw%campus.swarthmore.edu@swarthmr.bitnet           |

mystone@sol.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (02/24/89)

In article <2476@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> jackiw@swatsun.UUCP () writes:
>What's your favorite "About..." box?

  The Shadowgate About box is one of the best I've ever seen.  It had me in
hysterics the first time I saw it.  The About in Farallon's SoundEdit program
is cool, too.  (They also make a great digitizer!)

Dean Yu                            |  E-mail:    mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu
University of Michigan             |  Real-mail: Dean Yu
Computer Aided Engineering Network |             2413 Kelsey House
===================================|             600 E Madison
"These are MY opinions." (My       |             Ann Arbor, MI 48109
 employer doesn't want them.       |==========================================
 Actually, they don't really care  |
 what I think.  But President      |   This space intentionally left blank.
 Duderstadt does...)               |
Additional Disclaimer:  Mindscape and Farallon have never heard of me.  I just
                        like the stuff they put out.

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (02/24/89)

In article <2476@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> jackiw@swatsun.UUCP () writes:
>What's your favorite "About..." box?

I think the ShadowGate about box is probably the best I've ever seen.
I also like the ones for SuperPaint 2.0 and Digital Darkroom.

Shadowgate had a full animation, much better than MPWs or SADEs (SADEs isn't
bad!)  It also had a soundtrack.  Check it out if you can.  Scrolling
text over a starry background with occasional shooting stars is the new
about box format for Silicon Beach.  The text is pretty funny (and editable
with ResEdit).
+----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu            |
| 4297 Sulgrave Dr.    +------+---------------------------------------------+
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| "You remember the IIe, it   +---------------------------------------------+
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |

mystone@sol.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (02/25/89)

>In article <2476@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> jackiw@swatsun.UUCP () writes:
>What's your favorite "About..." box?

  And how can we forget the hidden About box in MultiFinder 1.0?  Of course,
I'd like to know what some of those xxxxx's really were...

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (02/25/89)

In article <2476@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> jackiw@swatsun.UUCP () writes:
>What's your favorite "About..." box?

Try ShadowGate.  It'll blow just about anything out of the water.

Ken

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (02/25/89)

About those boxes...

I still favor the "hidden" Multifinder 1.0 movie credits, the ones that came
scrolling down if you option-shift-command selected the "About Multifinder"
option.  A lot of funny moments, but definitely the best line was "Man whose
name is a complete sentence.........Fred Burst."

My soul brother.

--Mike
P.S. does anybody know how to get the current "special" Multifinder about box?
I am told there is one, but I am not sure how to invoke it.  Rumor has it that
you leave the standard about box up for about an hour and weird things happen.
Any takers?

Mike Rose               "I hope that one or two immortal lyrics will come
mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu     out of all this tumbling around."
Class of 1991 (I hope!)            -Poet Louise Bogan on her affair
Disclaimer: I work for a            with poet Theo Roethke
newspaper; they relish my opinions.

sklein@cdp.UUCP (02/25/89)

In article <2476@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> jackiw@swatsun.UUCP () writes:
>What's your favorite "About..." box?

With system Release 5.0, under MuliFinder, HOLD DOWN THE OPTION KEY
and choose "About MultiFinder" from the bottom of the DA menu...

You get about three slowly-scrolling screens worth of "credits' for
MultiFinder--The Motion Picture
(a true, multitasking extravaganza!)

Great stuff, alas it's gone from system release 6.0.x
(Shucks)

-Shabtai
cdp!sklein@arisia.xerox.com

In article <8Y1Sxyy00Wc1Q6dcVt@andrew.cmu.edu> mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:
>P.S. does anybody know how to get the current "special" Multifinder about box?
>I am told there is one, but I am not sure how to invoke it.  Rumor has it that
>you leave the standard about box up for about an hour and weird things happen.
>Any takers?

  If you leave the About box of MultiFinder 6.0 up long enough (about an hour)
the words will change to 'I want my, I want my, I want my xxxx and xxxx' where
xxxx and xxxx is (obviously) 'look and feel'.  I patched my MultiFinder, but
I forget what the patch is, and where to apply it...

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (02/26/89)

>In article <2476@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> jackiw@swatsun.UUCP () writes:
>>What's your favorite "About..." box?
>
> [MultiFinder, MPW, Shadowgate, SoundEdit, etc.]

 Don't leave out the about box from the Studio Session Editor module,
which features animated singing musical notes!

 The about box in the Mac version of Pinball Construction Set was pretty
nifty, too...

-k
--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    felix!dhw68k!thecloud@ics.uci.edu

weevil@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Jeff Eliasen) (02/27/89)

The best I've seen so far is the About Uninvited... for the game by that
name...

  - Jeffrey Eliasen
  - NewCo  MexiTech

steveg@tove.umd.edu (Steve Green) (02/27/89)

I havent been following this discussion so forgive me if...well ya know...

A cool about box can be found in sound edit but the ultimate box is in
Deja Vu' II.  It is a runnable application...

goldman@apple.com (Phil Goldman) (02/27/89)

In article <41ad3209.a590@mag.engin.umich.edu> mystone@sol.engin.umich.edu

(Dean Yu) writes:
>   If you leave the About box of MultiFinder 6.0 up long enough (about an
hour)
> the words will change to 'I want my, I want my, I want my xxxx and xxxx'
where
> xxxx and xxxx is (obviously) 'look and feel'.  I patched my MultiFinder,
but
> I forget what the patch is, and where to apply it...

There is a new version of MF out, 6.1b7, shipped with the SADE release
from APDA.  It has a new about box.  Good luck.

-Phil Goldman
Apple Computer

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (02/27/89)

Shadowgate is the best of any that I've seen. A complete little animated
sequence of a dragon chasing a guy

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

buzz@kinetics.UUCP (Mahboud Zabetian) (03/01/89)

Check out Farallon's SoundEdit.  Its box has a smoking bomb!

Standard Disclaimer:  Don't mind me, I'm just babbling.
    Mahboud Zabetian	(415) 256-3702		buzz@kinetics.uucp
     Kinetics, Inc.			...!ucbvax!mtxinu!kinetics!buzz
   2540 Camino Diablo		      ***Coming soon: buzz@kinetics.com !!***
Walnut Creek, CA 94596		     mtxinu!kinetics!buzz@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
   "You may ask yourself, how did I get here?  This isn't my beautiful..."
 							--- Talking Heads

jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (03/01/89)

What exactly is the key sequence necessary to view the zebra woman in
MacPaint 2.0????  I remember seeing it in an old MacUser, but I haven't
been able to find it...  Thanx      Jeff Huber jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

cyosta@taux01.UUCP ( Yossie Silverman ) (03/01/89)

In article <2476@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> jackiw@swatsun.UUCP () writes:
>What's your favorite "About..." box?

I have seen many great About... Boxes.  These come to mind:

1) CoreWars which had starwars music and a perspective scrolling list of
   credits.  The problem was that the perspective effect was not smooth.
2) The various ICOM Simulation games (Deja Vu, UnInvited, ShadowGate) all
   have great About... boxes.  Uninvited's is graveyard with clasic music
   playing and the various authors heads popping up from the graves to
   the beat of the music!
3) The About... box in SoundEdit is absolutly wonderful...  It is a standard
   La-Bomba box with a burning fuse (and sound effects) which burns down
   at which stage the bomb BLOWS (again, with sound effects).  It is in
   color on a macII (fuse is red, sparks yellow).  The closing ICON is of
   a doggy next to a burnt out Mac (the doggy is the SoundEdit mascot I guess).

Yossie

--
Yossie Silverman                                   What did the Caspian sea?
National Semiconductor Ltd. (Israel)				- Saki

schraag@uva.UUCP (Joost Schraag (I81)) (03/02/89)

In article <111900038@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>What exactly is the key sequence necessary to view the zebra woman in
>MacPaint 2.0????  I remember seeing it in an old MacUser, but I haven't
>been able to find it...  Thanx      Jeff Huber jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

 Holding down 'Command-Tab-Spacebar' does the trick.

Joost Schraag               |
University of Amsterdam     |	e-mail:	     schraag@uva.uucp
The Netherlands             |       or:         ...!uunet!mcvax!uva!schraag

prw@meccts.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul Wenker) (03/02/89)

In article <111900038@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>What exactly is the key sequence necessary to view the zebra woman in
>MacPaint 2.0????  I remember seeing it in an old MacUser, but I haven't
>been able to find it...  Thanx      Jeff Huber jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Hold down the Space Bar and Tab while choosing "About...".

---
Paul Wenker				UUCP:  prw@mecc.mn.org
MECC, Advanced Development		AppleLink:  MECC.TECH

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (03/03/89)

In article <111900038@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> What exactly is the key sequence necessary to view the zebra woman in
> MacPaint 2.0????  I remember seeing it in an old MacUser, but I haven't
> been able to find it...  Thanx      Jeff Huber jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Tab+Space+ABOUT MACPAINT.

--

chris@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Krohn) (03/03/89)

-3) The About... box in SoundEdit is absolutly wonderful...  It is a standard
-   La-Bomba box with a burning fuse (and sound effects) which burns down
-   at which stage the bomb BLOWS (again, with sound effects).  It is in
-   color on a macII (fuse is red, sparks yellow).  The closing ICON is of
-   a doggy next to a burnt out Mac (the doggy is the SoundEdit mascot I guess-

--Yossie

	My guess is that it is rather a pictoral joke on the RCA "His
Master's Voice" logo.

Chris

Christopher Krohn
Northwestern University
CHRIS@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rob Elkins) (03/03/89)

In article <3894@meccts.MECC.MN.ORG> prw@meccts.UUCP (Paul Wenker) writes:
>In article <111900038@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>What exactly is the key sequence necessary to view the zebra woman in
>
>Hold down the Space Bar and Tab while choosing "About...".

That dosen't seem to work.....

Rob
--
ARPA: relkins@vax1.acs.udel.edu   BITNET: FFO04688@UDACSVM
UUCP: ...!uunet!vax1.acs.udel.edu!relkins

eynon@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Barry Eynon) (03/03/89)

In article <3894@meccts.MECC.MN.ORG> prw@meccts.UUCP (Paul Wenker) writes:
>In article <111900038@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>What exactly is the key sequence necessary to view the zebra woman in
>>MacPaint 2.0????  I remember seeing it in an old MacUser, but I haven't
>>been able to find it...  Thanx      Jeff Huber jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
>

>Hold down the Space Bar and Tab while choosing "About...".
>
>---
>Paul Wenker				UUCP:  prw@mecc.mn.org
>MECC, Advanced Development		AppleLink:  MECC.TECH

To avoid some frustration, it is worth noting that as soon as Claris found
out about this, they removed the picture, so if you upgraded after the
initial batch you may just have to do without...

Barry Eynon
eynon@lindy.stanford.edu

[kill inews now]
[kill inews now]
[kill inews now]
[kill inews now]
[kill inews now]
[kill inews now]
[kill inews now]
[kill inews now]

merchant@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Peter Merchant) (03/03/89)

In article <2980@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert Elkins) writes:
>In article <3894@meccts.MECC.MN.ORG> prw@meccts.UUCP (Paul Wenker) writes:
>>In article <111900038@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>>
>>>What exactly is the key sequence necessary to view the zebra woman in
>>
>>Hold down the Space Bar and Tab while choosing "About...".
>
>That dosen't seem to work.....

The way I understood it, Claris felt the picture may be offensive, so it was
removed.  I saw it in the demonstration version of MacPaint (ie, it did
everything except save) and someone at Claris showed it when they showed
MacPaint 2.0 to the New York Mac Users' Group quite awhile ago.
---
"Funny, it worked in rehearsal..."      Peter Merchant (merchant@eleazar.UUCP)
                                              (Peter.G.Merchant@dartmouth.EDU)

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (03/04/89)

In article <10330139@accuvax.nwu.edu> chris@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Krohn) writes:

>-3) The About... box in SoundEdit is absolutly wonderful...  It is a standard
>-   La-Bomba box with a burning fuse (and sound effects) which burns down
>-   at which stage the bomb BLOWS (again, with sound effects).  It is in
>-   color on a macII (fuse is red, sparks yellow).  The closing ICON is of
>-   a doggy next to a burnt out Mac (the doggy is the SoundEdit mascot I guess-
>
>--Yossie
>

>	My guess is that it is rather a pictoral joke on the RCA "His
>Master's Voice" logo.
>
>Chris

In fact, the mystery dog is the famous Rex, who is indeed the mascot of
Farallon Computing, Inc.  Rex just happens to be very good at
impersonating the RCA dog.

Actually, rumor has it that early tests of the sound capturing
capabilities of the MacRecorder involved Rex, who positively responded
to His Master's Voice (Reese Jones) issuing forth from the back of a
Mac...

Just another Mac legend --

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |

johnston@dalcsug.UUCP (Bruce Johnston) (03/04/89)

I saw this great about box the other day at a Users Group Meeting. We were
looking at some music and sound software and one of the programs (I think it
was Sound Edit but I am not sure about that) had this about box that contained
about six notes with faces. When a song was playing, these notes would bounce
up and down and certain notes would open their mouths like they were
singing the notes that were being played.

Anyway, it seemed pretty sharp at the time
.
Bruce Johnston
Dalhousie University Halifax, Nova Scotia, CAnada.

Disclaimer: I'm always right... and submarines have screen doors!

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (03/04/89)

In article <2980@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert Elkins) writes:
>In article <3894@meccts.MECC.MN.ORG> prw@meccts.UUCP (Paul Wenker) writes:
>>In article <111900038@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>>
>>>What exactly is the key sequence necessary to view the zebra woman in
>>
>>Hold down the Space Bar and Tab while choosing "About...".
>
>That dosen't seem to work.....

  It's entirely possible your version of MacPaint doesn't have this
"feature", if you acquired it recently. Claris wasn't amused, and
yanked the Zebra Lady out of the about box.

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    felix!dhw68k!thecloud@ics.uci.edu
==========   :::.. ..:::   InterNet: thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com
                ////       =============================================

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (03/04/89)

In article <10330139@accuvax.nwu.edu> chris@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Krohn) writes:

>-3) The About... box in SoundEdit is absolutly wonderful...  It is a standard
>-   La-Bomba box with a burning fuse (and sound effects) which burns down
>-   at which stage the bomb BLOWS (again, with sound effects).  It is in

  I think the SoundEdit about box is nasty. Sure, there's room for humor,
but fake System bombs are in pretty poor taste. It strikes me as being on
a par with "joke" programs like the one that puts up a dialog saying,
"Formatting disk...," as it accesses your hard drive in a scary but non-
destructive way. If you find that sort of thing funny, great... but I don't
want it in a program I've paid money for.

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    felix!dhw68k!thecloud@ics.uci.edu
==========   :::.. ..:::   InterNet: thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com
                ////       =============================================

md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) (03/05/89)

How about the Leprechaun Demo About box where the Leprechaun and one
of his enemies is playing GO....
That's cool.

The Weesh
md32@andrew.cmu.edu
md32@andrew.bitnet

wert@cup.portal.com (robert scott comer) (03/05/89)

> color on a macII (fuse is red, sparks yellow).  The closing ICON is of
> a doggy next to a burnt out Mac (the doggy is the SoundEdit mascot I guess).

Ever heard of Nipper, the Victrola dog? Probably the same...

scott comer

tempest@csuchico.EDU (Kenneth Lui) (03/05/89)

In article <2980@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> relkins@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert Elkins) writes:
>>Hold down the Space Bar and Tab while choosing "About...".
>
>That dosen't seem to work.....

You probably have a newer version of MacPaint. When Apple caught that
``feature,'' it promptly got removed.

Ken
tempest@csuchico.EDU

jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu.engin.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) (03/06/89)

In article <20570@dhw68k.cts.com> thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
>In article <10330139@accuvax.nwu.edu> chris@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Krohn) writes:
>>
>>-3) The About... box in SoundEdit is absolutly wonderful...  It is a standard
>>-   La-Bomba box with a burning fuse (and sound effects) which burns down
>>-   at which stage the bomb BLOWS (again, with sound effects).  It is in
>
>  I think the SoundEdit about box is nasty. Sure, there's room for humor,
>but fake System bombs are in pretty poor taste. It strikes me as being on
>a par with "joke" programs like the one that puts up a dialog saying,
>"Formatting disk...," as it accesses your hard drive in a scary but non-
>destructive way. If you find that sort of thing funny, great... but I don't
>want it in a program I've paid money for.
>

>--
>==========     .......     =============================================
>Ken McLeod    :.     .:    felix!dhw68k!thecloud@ics.uci.edu
>==========   :::.. ..:::   InterNet: thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com
>                ////       =============================================

I think someone left his sense of humour at home.

John Mansfield
North Campus Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory 2455 Hayward, Ann Arbor,
Michigan 48109-2143. 313-936-3352
Internet: jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu or john_mansfield.um.cc.umich.edu

ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) (03/07/89)

>It's entirely possible your version of MacPaint doesn't have this
>"feature", if you acquired it recently. Claris wasn't amused, and
>yanked the Zebra Lady out of the about box.

I don't suppose someone has a BinHex of the famous "Zebra Lady",
for those of us w/o MacPaint 2.0 who are dying of curiosity???

Thanks!

-Ted

dce@stan.UUCP (David Elliott) (03/07/89)

I haven't seen these mentioned:

1. In the About box for the Leprechaun demo, one of the ogres (or
   whatever those whiney little midgets are) is playing Go with
   the Leprechaun.  If you wait a little while, one of them says
   "Atari".

2. In the About box for Cairo Shootout (I could be wrong about the
   exact game here), there is a button labelled "Chariot".  If you
   click on it, a little Chariot (looking amazingly similar to the
   one in StuntCopter) goes by.

--
David Elliott		...!pyramid!boulder!stan!dce
"Splish splash, I was rakin' in the cash"  -- Eno

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (03/09/89)

This is a review of MacPaint 2.0, the original version.

It's a fine program. Most people have a good idea what it does.
One of it's most controversial features is the hidden "Zebra
Lady"(cf Fig 1) which makes an appearance from time to time. In that USE-
NET doesn't transmit bitmapped graphics in our postings, the
illustrations to this review are attached as a binhex'd resource
file of PICTs.  View them in ResEdit.

As a review, this posting has certain legal rights, including that
of reproduction "of limited portions quoted for review." The Zebra
Woman is so quoted. I hope no one's going to throw a legal hassle
over my posting it...worse (and often slanderous) reviews of
Major Software Packages take place in this newsgroup every day!

-Nick.

(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)
:#d&bBfKTGQ8ZFfPd!&0*9#&6593K!!!!!!ZL!!!!!&&r8dP8)3!"!!!,SR*-BA8
"!!!!!!!!!!-!!NKTBdP3-bi`-ZBZ!%&'4!!k&0i!#J!k6r"633!$!Pj$k!(-)(%
!1HC%!$G05!!k6r!$m!%0!"-!!3!!!$RQAR*cFQ058d9%!3#J1`6DS$X%j`!!$4B
!!!!!!!!,(!!!!!$'4`!!!!!!!!!!fQB"2*m`2cKi$UpCeq`GVa26kSRHr!GrpPc
[,#B`'1q0!KTldFZ4Gp!5+4T4-J6UGU,6bkATIF+-6Lf0b4RZfmRQF"Rr1IiKdIr
SL"(V!alfb!`F+-&Kbd@aN!$E!h('FMS(Sr4&j1PmcJk)cm!85T+rCbdiKPFkijh
I,')Pr"!N)KCcd`R"2D#XGfAr!!ElQ2(lS)qkiEmF2l2bI+-jL!rm%*ALq&qFlkL
1b&**56@KU2@!BE0Y$Sc6la`H%1ciAXqJLXd6HFP#T#Ndd&3U+Te3UpC9UYLZejD
lD@l*XTQJd@NDV@Q[fEElSF6LZAh$[)Y'L0b9+TD3!$r!#A6C4U88bUUYB4BV+Xe
U,IF9ea3C(,-jT66DYV0F0KX@jhTbZLkA8q#'),"S"rArpaZrNcGrbr20KMX[(#X
V(*H@$TP`m5GXD0"iH(KjS20'M4Xb"Yb#4Pf"2)rj@1&FZJ(-4LJ$rrrrmQQrrr+
a`VPd!jL-8!IrrrrrrrrrrrPTKSL%rrr*ckcEX9Q%ajPc@DS(2&YAcH2c`*QJajT
c@#Qf,c19jeF,Kf4E'lXBh'A-HAmb`'#01bZ5(QbAMKR-jUTX*ZiF[`XeE(5meN'
EYMc6L0lC)f3-26PBNF,-e3'h#[#RQD'GSD'Q3'H"@eYa-6#%cBH)C36C!TT(c@3
-aS-ipLBH%*%c'3GPik*-JNX`m4SD@pQh0hmQ,*LpXq0eijfqp@@pXVlArq3ij"'
Vq(YR,eH1G`GXq0eijfrfcihAMRErqr(q5aIhirM-Aj*IN9jbRUHl(eeC28pU[dD
i$&kQ[DVp(I%#hZAGHeAk1-4cL#a@[DVp'V8cH4+YHeAk*KaHGi,EVfUr4-1,c["
EGHeAk-Z0XeCf[DVp%fM*S+IAi&r5RY%TI![k3&C59dZe6dC"kpRCkADTk0EQhFp
,i%qQKGZkRi%qMZ1P"qTq"2Sl,Za8r!RdGb22%P8r!Rd$"$l&6m#I48q)1QUIJ6k
2hUiURi%qLYfDkRY8p&qlF%p,i%qMpbLkRY8p'D`9XqPfUHM0B+fI5l924QXjd@P
`Tk0h2m+2VNm*1SRN6)FjI)bq-R[[*j&fF[lf9rPr-JYpj2)ZcPrHbj2plC1Q[L1
prAGN8qrPXaIJmi15r#Rh@J[m(,mYrA5bcI%3ref#1raTPD6q0,BDr#RhACh,QCQ
AH)lciNfha%2pH,YPml01#&da32CZr#R85JEIN8J%CDCfah2NrK6lVb4aeb1eZDI
%"j,IK6U6$"k[(f'mrHVjBE*r#R84*ATbj)CL#J!B+@-H&1T0(EAMp('Y,Tb!qbE
I#R8QUUj%j%MMdB-@2QEEi8kMiVqK%d59H9RjKm"Vi8kMiVqK%d59H9RjKm"Vi8k
JNj0qIbhe6H59e@[K6U+`BKG)pMQC*,#-Z[K6U!D&UiCk),L@Pj03UV`Tk*0#e%i
qRheC`2Jebq&1SU-bDRRjFlmIS(&q&1S'kL"aH4i9C$)&bc`Te!SS*1Vr9DAUrLb
f&24GLb'$92[ZRFMPU$6S8kJFL`U6,m6KCIS-%6S8kQKLeUc2I$1lNhGSHa1f&1S
l03XmjTlT`D9hh-&K6U9f$'$CjpADHR&mZf`Te0)bPh2p3N(hZc#[,j0P'DaIKK1
mN49&K6U9VS$pkr%I[`YYR2,j-fI$,Gec@-1CkYpjId'eAI5ppCfh(DLqm[k$DV[
THqXlEMY4IHAp(pDjDPlk8cp1IZGjI*IfUaQZd`j&Z3-lbq5VVDI$pUcrJKAPrUT
H#F-li6XX%C-9jI*dTAFAFV$RMAJQ+CjI*GXaC`YYaBa`J-rIA62,j1Q[iFTUXN(
)*aCr9-VHAm'KhjGUY3MS0,lJBMp`V,bU-G#!!(+EF6bq6@faq-4L)iVGAGZ0L2h
39R1SR"e"EA0P6%IZ2AG+dd)4UF)SBrM&fl-)+-drPcNBMpe1,RfqZl-deQk6&$(
k6(Bb8AG(G--qeL2h82RVT,X5!I$!feL2h82RVT,X5!I$!feL2hE%D8i`E'bT`N3
Hh#HAbDjhlP"LmK*)1qQejI*VVZU2fXp[iSL&+CjI*N1P)RaJh2ac'EK0MFHAbDh
IF$dPZ'K!cUk9AHAbDleQ"8S)QS"Z5ZP!Vbq5lFAkLPRNQ#)9qNFm[NUfMT!!MFR
h9'5P)L4APmPA9pTD`Br!NTPZmBf[,j)%9@SZ-&"mQCJ*3cE-2,j1(VT'd)4pZ!j
3E3cRPmNE*I$ZTU+[Ni1#ZKL[,j1ZJaNa,TXSEJk3!0$T5U&1TTNlYQr#%l'eI*k
VCNSIBK6UD#efjC9,0@FC!$NT#5f&1Sk2HD00,("3DD1%@%*d+G6IUhle`F$3@kB
(`*Ke1K6UEp@rHZ$JD#h6!q"-1Td+G6FA2hj8P!Cf&-!%Vm+G55Sr4h+,,0J5Se(
LT1m[NXqFR5l,#`!5Hc4([,j-ZeJrZpQXKNpq8)#V`TpeGhYpf3Qh-lSaN[`Te0,
XAL6qV10,3rNFrK6lJ[fE29QP8cXSD5KS[`Tp`9GUXi$aPj[PY)3Ym4$rA&r[r#p
"cC3DLKLha%2qN32QD+RTR2(#)0`Ai92h4F1ZcLPdq3Uj"&1)Kr$2(5mT'A+C3qD
US@r#Tq'[80e8TGj#U!a%m+Rj9TUVHT5lbV2H(&2#Tq!GRQZ*m@kRB4"e1mRN`Xq
Dd,0Ak"Qc%%1RH6bB$'8G3T&p[YfJ(*hNmQ!aP(8+4IElGS"bH&6qZ0@apjDYdTR
CqQ6`UI[l5lYpc"G2Ym0-RK8r-%qpYmaXd)4ZHXl(*i92cZkGjTATY+'efG2#Tq4
q2(HDVp(ejeC8l#GV*h1jPeFYQ9+0Ur#TjEAGccA+E3Rlce1RK8rGZp,XCUk0ZSR
6`UId3Y+lXqPDle16[%rb9(IG[58X%ZkTI#[i*$UHTPN9CNAh[**m&&AAl9EC*T4
IHmNR`5$((bZZcjl9IHmU6i)1VVm,@BqHeAhLF`I4aP`mR*4eH+4IH*CIik8pLUh
@[&1*IH*PAlqPhUjekJ6jbqm6+[hp,[9cVe!RcPpiPRrKJVZ*M+DJ3ELAhY)Ih8[
ILl9@cC+4Af0''1)THp%1XdT6alfRlf-THqQ0+Y!GR,la1@2)hV&$(!8)3G21[[%
rcjGQ&V4iE'@(jepMG*5ek'DISjXAh"5Mf0dKXNXD26m$*UYZ+-dHaZSX'$,b[i%
UaZSbS$(XDFYEC#IHG,F3!@0)pMG)*FlAY5+VeN!jX&(XEUm`jF5402T8AF'EBpM
G)J(1H(46k5PSY)pMGmkE#`&@RV+@DU@bdH`li#cP6`9keTGG,@2BhGcejN'fRYQ
Z-BpM6UTNDA[9aiE,dHaTe8b0,hUim0Pk2BhHZcTVZI$$8AYMf0hmfVph2YQ'P0X
HaZrVIGZa@@DpFIMf0hqQ2+hBZ`p[fiim+Il)*HpVN5$Y,@2BhIej&BfpFHA8EDD
2#R`Ca9&QLfhYZ$al'lqYa+pq*MYXYb4i8q$1K[kU+frEHMf0hpGai&,@0FTHM`T
m$+R8QQS9+pXH&2J%!!l*GXfSeaai8q"Z8H&m'VNV*PQ2#R`#'+ZV03F5e@XH&2J
-N!!(G29HDfG'2#R`'5*HG25U`@(X((K6i*C'`4jLk*ieai8q#@4X%HBZLH0FH&2
Ja'PY'5@aNbMPM`Tm'-1EH8l+DDcA'2#R`-MECrHZKALXc4i8q!026Qr*,2f052B
6Y3a$XilE-[#ZGIB6YABZ`DVCkF1Kbq`RDkDZd&rJ*$EC&IB6YG0G0Rf6bX0l2E9
mYl5rkrrZ0hmQE[qArRrR14TX[rbVPrr-'AXGc(rfTAP9hrrpJ(20i!IF!!!:
--
+-------------------+-jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu / !rutgers!bpa!swatsun!jackiw-+
|  nicholas jackiw  | jackiw%campus.swarthmore.edu@swarthmr.bitnet           |
+-------------------+-VGP/MathDept/Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA 19081--+
"Ah...I've got this CHRONIC pain."                             _True Believer_

mikel@cs.dal.ca (Michael P. Lamoureux) (03/09/89)

In article <21123@agate.Berkeley.EDU>, John Henkendorn of BMUG writes
that the early testing of MacRecorder involved a dog (Rex) responding
to his Master's voice (Reese Jones), and this idea was immortalized
in the About box of SoundEdit, where a little dog is depicted, listening
to a Macintosh.
   Actually, the very first testing of the MacRecorder involve me trying
   to convince my girlfriend (now my wife) that the distorted muffled
   static coming from the back of the Mac really was my digitized voice!
   I was until I got a sound that she grudgingly admitted sounded human
   did I sense I was on the right track.  (But she's a linguist and
   has pretty high standards).
     The radio talk show host Larry King also played, unwittingly, a big
     role.  His deep, bassy voice off the radio was a great sound source
     to digitize, especially on early MacRecorder prototypes.

     The artwork, including the dog, was done by the wife of Steve Capps,
     one of the SoundEdit programmers.  Makes you wonder about the
     "significant others" of hackers and the support they give...

     Michael Lamoureux,   mikel@cs.dal.ca

kah120@ihlpe.ATT.COM (452is-Heitke) (03/10/89)

In article <20570@dhw68k.cts.com>, thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
> In article <10330139@accuvax.nwu.edu> chris@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Krohn) writes:
> >
> >-3) The About... box in SoundEdit is absolutly wonderful...  It is a standard
> >-   La-Bomba box with a burning fuse (and sound effects) which burns down
> >-   at which stage the bomb BLOWS (again, with sound effects).  It is in
>
>   I think the SoundEdit about box is nasty. Sure, there's room for humor,
> but fake System bombs are in pretty poor taste....

This is similiar to the Acta Reader program which comes up with a System
bomb informing you to purchase Acta.  I had to do a double take before I
realized it wasn't a real system bomb.