[comp.sys.mac] Conversion from AppleWorks

prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) (03/08/89)

   I would appreciate any help I could get on the following question.

   I have a word processing document on the Apple ][e. This document
was created using AppleWorks. My question is, is there some way by
which I can bring this file across to a Mac+ and use MS Word to read
it, make changes to it, and print it on a LW IINTX ?

  *-----------------------------*
  |  DINESH K. PRABHU           |
  |                             |
  |  Eloret Institute           |
  |  Mail Stop 230-2            |
  |  NASA Ames Research Center  |
  |  Moffett Field, CA 94035.   |
  |  Ph: (415) 694-4907         |
  *-----------------------------*

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (03/08/89)

In article <1563@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) writes:

>   I have a word processing document on the Apple ][e. This document
>was created using AppleWorks. My question is, is there some way by
>which I can bring this file across to a Mac+ and use MS Word to read
>it, make changes to it, and print it on a LW IINTX ?

It is kind of messy, but you can use a file system translator put out by
Productivity Software with Apple File Exchange to convert AppleWorks files
to MS Works format.  MS Word can then read the MS Works formatted files.
Hope this helps.

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Dinesh K. Prabhu) (03/11/89)

   Here are some of the replies I received for my posting. Thanks
to all those who replied.

  *-----------------------------*
  |  DINESH K. PRABHU           |
  |                             |
  |  Eloret Institute           |
  |  Mail Stop 230-2            |
  |  NASA Ames Research Center  |
  |  Moffett Field, CA 94035.   |
  |  Ph: (415) 694-4907         |
  *-----------------------------*

From blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU Tue Mar  7 16:24:29 1989
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 89 19:26:03 -0500
From: blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman)
To: prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov
Subject: Re: Conversion from AppleWorks(][e) to MSWord (Mac+)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

I do this all the time (from my IIgs, though).  At the risk of being one
of 8 million replyers, I'll try to help you out.

As you probably know, you can print the AppleWorks file to text, then
use Apple File Conversion (on the Mac) to convert to Mac.  MSWord will
then load these files.  You can then edit them, put in tabs for
AppleWorks spaces, reinsert your centering, etc.  Because you do lose
all your formatting by doing this.

One slight trick is all the carriage returns at the end of every line.
AppleWorks (2.0, maybe 2.1) puts the CR's and I don't know an easy way
of removing them quickly from MSWord.  Instead, what I have done is used
an old conversion program I wrote that converts AWP to TXT files
(without putting in the CR's).  If you have AppleWorks 1.x, don't worry,
you don't have to deal with the CR's.

On the IIgs, what I have found even easier is to print everything to a
PostScript file from AppleWorks GS, then convert THAT file to the Mac.
All formatting, even inserted graphics -- everything -- is preserved,
exactly as it would be on a LaserWriter connected to a GS.  But you're
probably not interested in that.  Sorry.

Hope this helps!

Scott

--
-- Scott "WhiteWoman" Blackman --------------------------------------------
   __   ARPA: blackman@phoenix.princeton.edu, blackman@pucc.princeton.edu

From ames!ucbcad!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac Tue Mar  7 19:13:39 1989
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 89 19:12:59 PST
From: ames!ucbcad!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
To: agate!pasteur!ames!amelia!prabhu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

In article <1563@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> you write:

>   I would appreciate any help I could get on the following question.
>
>   I have a word processing document on the Apple ][e. This document
>was created using AppleWorks. My question is, is there some way by
>which I can bring this file across to a Mac+ and use MS Word to read
>it, make changes to it, and print it on a LW IINTX ?
>

>  *-----------------------------*
>  |  DINESH K. PRABHU           |
>  |                             |
>  |  Eloret Institute           |
>  |  Mail Stop 230-2            |
>  |  NASA Ames Research Center  |
>  |  Moffett Field, CA 94035.   |
>  |  Ph: (415) 694-4907         |
>  *-----------------------------*

There is a module available somewhere for the Apple File Exchange
that will convert AppleWorks files to Microsoft Works format.  If
you have MS Works, then you can just save your file as RTF (under
the File Menu, Export...) and read it from Word.

I don't know right off where you can find it, but try calling
BMUG at 415-849-HELP; maybe the have it on one of their disks.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

From @CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU:AXS101@PSUVM.BITNET Wed Mar  8 00:02:52 1989
Date:    Wed, 8 Mar 89 03:03 EST
From: "Adrian Sullivan (814) 238-4276" <AXS101%PSUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Comment: Vice President, Pamug
To: <prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>

tho i havn't used it exteisivly, wouldn't the apple file excahange (on one of
the four system disks for the mac) do this? give it a try, it worked for a
file someone needed to put on a mac (from his //c). (i can't remember what word
 processor he used tho).

                                                                   Adrian

From iuvax!att!occrsh!jdsb@ames.arc.nasa.gov Wed Mar  8 05:54:05 1989
From: <iuvax!att!occrsh!jdsb@ames.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 89 08:57:05 -0500
To: prabhu@amelia.nas.nasa.gov
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

     Someone here just gave me an Apple File Exchange "translator"
for AppleWorks to Microsoft Works on the Mac.  I'm not sure
how you would go from Works to Word, but I suspect it is easy.
See if Word will read MS Works files, and if so, let me know and
I'll send you the translator Binhexed and Stuffited.  I've never
tried the translator, but it may work!     John
* John Babcock           att!occrsh!jdsb
* AT&T Network Systems   jdsb@occrsh.att.com
* Oklahoma City, OK      Disclaimer:  I speak on my own, not as AT&T.