[comp.sys.mac] The number 31 and Apple?

lentz@accuvax.nwu.edu (Rob Lentz) (03/09/89)

While we are on the subject of traditions (ROM names), I am curious as to
what special meaning, if any, the number 31 holds for Apple.  After all
there is no Tech Note 31 for some reason, and one of the most useful items
of the system has got to be INIT 31.  This is one piece of folklore which
I have not heard about.

		Robert "Curiosity killed the cat, but I am no cat" Lentz
		lentz@accuvax.nwu.edu

stearns@Apple.COM (Bryan Stearns) (03/11/89)

From article <10330143@accuvax.nwu.edu>, by lentz@accuvax.nwu.edu (Rob Lentz):
> While we are on the subject of traditions (ROM names), I am curious as to
> what special meaning, if any, the number 31 holds for Apple.  After all
> there is no Tech Note 31 for some reason, and one of the most useful items
> of the system has got to be INIT 31.  This is one piece of folklore which
> I have not heard about.

As the original author of INIT 31 (though Larry Kenyon rewrote it before it
shipped), I can safely say that there's no significance to the number (other
than that that was the last INIT that would be found by the original boot
code).

There's no Technical Note 31 because the individual TechNote authors used to
assign their own numbers ("Hey, Scott! What's the next number?") BEFORE
writing the note; sometimes we wouldn't get around to finishing a note, and
the number we picked would get reassigned (or, in this case, not).

... Bryan Stearns
    Apple Computer Finder & Applications Group
    (& former resident of Apple's Papeete Developer Support Center)

casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) (03/11/89)

In article <901@internal.Apple.COM> stearns@Apple.COM (Bryan Stearns) writes:

>As the original author of INIT 31 (though Larry Kenyon rewrote it before it
>shipped), I can safely say that there's no significance to the number (other
>than that that was the last INIT that would be found by the original boot
>code).
>
>There's no Technical Note 31 because the individual TechNote authors used to
>assign their own numbers ("Hey, Scott! What's the next number?") BEFORE
>writing the note; sometimes we wouldn't get around to finishing a note, and
>the number we picked would get reassigned (or, in this case, not).

Bryan, are you SURE???  I thought it was connected to the fact that a week
has 7 days and a (normal) month has 31, because both numbers are all-one's
in binary so when you implement a binary-logic calendar you get ... Oh,
never mind.

David Casseres

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (03/11/89)

In article <905@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) writes:
>In article <901@internal.Apple.COM> stearns@Apple.COM (Bryan Stearns) writes:
>
>>[...]
>>There's no Technical Note 31 because the individual TechNote authors used to
>>assign their own numbers ("Hey, Scott! What's the next number?") BEFORE
>>writing the note; sometimes we wouldn't get around to finishing a note, and
>>the number we picked would get reassigned (or, in this case, not).
>
>Bryan, are you SURE???  I thought it was connected to the fact that a week
>has 7 days and a (normal) month has 31, because both numbers are all-one's
>in binary so when you implement a binary-logic calendar you get ... Oh,
>never mind.

Gee, both of you are from Apple so this makes me hesitant about sticking my
neck out on the line.  But here goes...

I was sure that the reason 31 was not used was because someone released an
April fools Tech Note #31 that was a parody of Tech Notes.  Then someone at
Apple released a Tech Note of the same number that was even more ridiculous
by Apple and was somebody's joke.  I'm sure this happened because I remember
seeing it in the back of someone's book on Mac programming (Scott Kronick
or someone?).  The Tech Note made fun of a previous quote that said the
System would never change during the running of an application.  It warned
Mac programmers that things really might change after all and that you would
have to continually check for the existence of traps, hardware additions, and
such while your application is running.

OK, maybe I have the Tech Note number wrong, maybe I have the Tech Note writer
being parodied wrong, maybe I have it all wrong??!!  I was sure this was why
31 wasn't used though because a long time ago Apple went through and filled in
all the holes in the numbering.  The only other hole is 49 which was an
accidental duplicate of 44.  I don't usually blabber when I post...

+++

Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 146 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

t-jacobs@wasatch.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (03/11/89)

In article <901@internal.Apple.COM> stearns@Apple.COM (Bryan Stearns) writes:
>... Bryan Stearns
>    Apple Computer Finder & Applications Group
>    (& former resident of Apple's Papeete Developer Support Center)
                                   ^^^^^^^
just exactly what kind of support was centered there!!!

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (03/11/89)

In article <3794@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) writes:

>I was sure that the reason 31 was not used was because someone released an
>April fools Tech Note #31 that was a parody of Tech Notes.  Then someone at
>Apple released a Tech Note of the same number that was even more ridiculous

It was TN-110.

>by Apple and was somebody's joke.  I'm sure this happened because I remember
>seeing it in the back of someone's book on Mac programming (Scott Kronick
>or someone?).

No, Scott Knaster in "Macintosh Programming Secrets"

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com           (internet)