[comp.sys.mac] VideoWorks II incompatible with System 6.02

ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) (03/04/89)

I have problems with VideoWorks II (version 2.0) when I use System vers 6.02.
It works just fine with 4.3 but with 6.02 the animation just stops.
Maybe I'm working with an old version,is 2.0 really the latest version?

By the way: does anybody know anything about VW professional, the inter-
active version of VW? Is it hard to write the scripts? (esp. if you compare it
with HyperCard together with VideoWorksII HC-driver). Please send (e-mail)
me your opinions!

      /Olle

seghers@hpccc.HP.COM (David Seghers) (03/07/89)

>/ hpccc:comp.sys.mac / ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) /  6:20 pm  Mar  3, 1989 /
>I have problems with VideoWorks II (version 2.0) when I use System vers 6.02.
>It works just fine with 4.3 but with 6.02 the animation just stops.
>
> Maybe I'm working with an old version,is 2.0 really the latest version?

You don't say how much RAM you have.  I ran into the same problem with
some of the color movies when I switched to 6.02 (I have a 2 meg Mac II)
while on an 8 Meg Mac II these movies fly!  The key to getting the animation
to work is to slow the speed down from 60 until it starts working, or
to get more memory :^).

Best of luck,

David Seghers (seghers@hpccc.hp.com)

PS Virtual memory helps, but not much.  Real RAM is what counts.

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (03/07/89)

In article <5360037@hpccc.HP.COM> seghers@hpccc.HP.COM (David Seghers) writes:
>>/ hpccc:comp.sys.mac / ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) /  6:20 pm  Mar  3, 1989 /
>>I have problems with VideoWorks II (version 2.0) when I use System vers 6.02.
>>It works just fine with 4.3 but with 6.02 the animation just stops.
>>
>> Maybe I'm working with an old version,is 2.0 really the latest version?

Yes.  2.0 doesn't work with system 6.0.2.  You need version 2.0.2.

-Steve Bollinger

t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP (Stephen Poole) (03/08/89)

In article <5360037@hpccc.HP.COM> seghers@hpccc.HP.COM (David Seghers) writes:
>>/ hpccc:comp.sys.mac / ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) /  6:20 pm  Mar  3, 1989 /
>>I have problems with VideoWorks II (version 2.0) when I use System vers 6.02.
>>It works just fine with 4.3 but with 6.02 the animation just stops.

With System 6.0.2 you must tell VideoWorks to not operate in the background.
I don't recall exactly where this is selected, but from a Preferences menu
somewhere there is a check box for "Can Background" or somesuch.  Disable
this feature and movies will run smoothly (and beyond one frame, even!).
--
-- Stephen D. Poole -- t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP -- Mac II Fanatic --
--                                                               --

urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de (Matthias Urlichs) (03/13/89)

>/ hpccc:comp.sys.mac / ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) /  6:20 pm  Mar  3, 1989 /
>I have problems with VideoWorks II (version 2.0) when I use System vers 6.02.
>It works just fine with 4.3 but with 6.02 the animation just stops.

The Preferences dialog has a check box labeled "Allow background tasks"
or something like that. Turn it off -- now it works.

The other fix is to get Videoworks 2.0.2 or thereabouts.

DIsclaimer: Something like the above worked when I tried it, but it's
been a long time...
--
Matthias Urlichs -- Humboldtstrasse 7 -- 7500 Karlsruhe 1 -- FRG
urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de -- ++49+721-621127@PTT